Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
1 Like  
Sigma 30mm F1.4 - $289
Posted By: Adam, 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM

For those of you who missed out on the B&H deal, this one from Adorama is even better! Get the Sigma 30mm for Pentax for just $289, after a $200 instant rebate.

Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Lens f/Pentax DSLRs - USA 300-109

Edit: B&H now has it too- Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC Autofocus Lens for Pentax Digital 300109

Views: 10,297
02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #46

Just an FYI for those who had orders backordered with B&H. I just received an email stating that my order is shipping today, so I guess B&H received their big shipment of Sigma 30s today!

02-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
a bit bummed out that I missed out on this awesome deal... but hoping for the new version in a Pentax mount someday; would be awesome to have HSM silent focusing in a prime lens that is wider than 55mm! Plus maybe the new version will feature improved optics at the corners, and better quality control? One can dream...

(of course, if I could have gotten this lens for under $300, I wouldn't be saying any of this...)

over the past few days, I've been mulling over whether I could really use a 30mm f/1.4, and I have been shooting with my FA 50 f/1.4 a lot more than usual to get a feel for f/1.4. The difference in focal length is very significant, especially indoors. I already have F28 f/2.8 and FA 35 f/2.0 so my needs around the 28-35mm range are covered; the question is, will the f/1.4 be worth the extra expense and much larger weight/size of a Sigma 30? Hmm... Maybe I'll just stick with my FA 35 and take a step or two back...
I use my 35/2.4 and 40/2.8 a lot but even 5mm more width would be welcome - not to mention the f1.4 option. I have the FA50/1.4 and when you need lower light utility you need it. 50mm is too narrow for nearly any indoor use other than portraits IMHO, 35mm is good, 40mm is ok most of the time, but I am really looking forward to the 30/1.4.
02-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #48
Pentaxian

I'm just hoping that the "backordered" status on the B&H page will be changed some day if/when new stock is available...
02-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I'm just hoping that the "backordered" status on the B&H page will be changed some day if/when new stock is available...
Adorama now says:
"We are sorry, this item is no longer available."

02-04-2013, 12:49 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Adorama now says: "We are sorry, this item is no longer available."
Yeah, I'm worried about that. B&H often has things listed as "backordered" (like DA 12-24) and it's rare that they get the stock in...

Oh well. Funny how I didn't feel like I wanted this lens until it dropped a lot in price. So maybe I can't justify owning it at $500 but if it was $300, I would. Anyway, I'll just keep saving up my pennies for the FA 31... that's a LOT of pennies!
02-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Maybe I'll just stick with my FA 35 and take a step or two back...
Ha - this sounds exactly what goes on in my head......although a new lens or piece of gear is always tempting, I will usually take what I have for a spin to remind myself of what nice lenses I already have.

Good for you for thinking it through instead of just pulling the trigger off the hip!
02-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Good for you for thinking it through instead of just pulling the trigger off the hip!
Actually, this is all after-the-fact rationalization. I wanted to pull the trigger without thinking it through. It's just that Robert beat me to the Amazon deal, and others beat me to the B&H and Adorama deals!! I dragged my feet just for a few hours and then they were all sold out.

But you're certainly right about trying to be satisfied with what I already have, which is a lot of great lenses. I actually haven't used my FA 35 that much in the past year, nor the FA 50, so I should force myself to use them more. I'm always happy with the results, it's just that I've gotten so many new-kid-on-the-block lenses (DA 21, DA 70) in the past year that the old reliable FA's have been a bit forgotten...

02-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Happens to me all the time - I try to think for a few minutes to at least rationalize the purchase of these hot deals only to come back a little later to find it gone.

That Robert - he's hard to beat to the trigger!
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Actually, this is all after-the-fact rationalization. I wanted to pull the trigger without thinking it through. It's just that Robert beat me to the Amazon deal, and others beat me to the B&H and Adorama deals!! I dragged my feet just for a few hours and then they were all sold out.

But you're certainly right about trying to be satisfied with what I already have, which is a lot of great lenses. I actually haven't used my FA 35 that much in the past year, nor the FA 50, so I should force myself to use them more. I'm always happy with the results, it's just that I've gotten so many new-kid-on-the-block lenses (DA 21, DA 70) in the past year that the old reliable FA's have been a bit forgotten...
I shot from the hip after thinking it through. I really have wanted a 28mm lens but there isn't a modern AF one available. My 35/2.4 is great but a wee bit wider and faster would be nice. If the 30/1.4 is a keeper than I'll probably sell the 35/2.4 to help offset the cost.
02-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's now showing discontinued at B&H. Does it mean there is no hope for getting at that price, even those who pre-ordered?
02-06-2013, 06:38 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Yeah, I got this email from B&H this morning. But I didn't pre-order, so hopefully your order will be honored/fulfilled.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your interest in the following item:

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC Autofocus Lens for Pentax Digital
(B&H # SI3014DCPAF)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.
02-06-2013, 06:39 AM   #57
Pentaxian

although this discontinuation suggests that the new version 2 will be offered in K-mount sometime, maybe later this year?
02-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #58
Veteran Member

My 30/1.4 arrived yesterday. Still testing it out.
02-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #59
Pentaxian

of course, with B&H having no more in stock, this means any of you who bought the $289 lens may have a hard time exchanging it for a different one, if the Sigma lottery doesn't work out in your favor...
02-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #60
Veteran Member

of course, with B&H having no more in stock, this means any of you who bought the $289 lens may have a hard time exchanging it for a different one, if the Sigma lottery doesn't work out in your favor...
Excellent point. I have heard that Sigma Warranty Service is pretty good though.