Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
Sigma 18-250 and 18-200 have big rebates ATM
Posted By: Sagitta, 02-03-2013, 09:46 PM

I have my tax efund coming in so I've been prowling the B&H site pretty heavily when I spotted these two lenses with fairly big rebates.

The new 18-250 is $150 off at $399 and the 18-200 is also $150 off at $349. If I wasn't set on grabbing the 10-20mm I'd be snagging one of these as my walkaround in a heartbeat.


Views: 3,339
02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
I read the 18-250 is a lot better than the 18-200, so probably worth the additional $50.
02-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,480
I've had copies of the original 18-200 and found it decent with a bit of post-proc sharpening now and then. Silent focus would be cool, but I dislike adding weight for a hiking lens... still it would be nice to try the newer-generation model some time.
02-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 304
I noticed that Tamron AF 18-200mm is also cheaper at Amazon. It used to be $249 after $50 rebate.

02-04-2013, 01:31 AM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,311
I got the 18-200 for $300 (Ted's - an Australian chain) recently. It is well built and sharp wide open throughout its range. It stays on the K-01 all the time. If the 18-250 is better it must be very good. Popular Photography rated the 18-200 DC II as excellent at all focal lengths and significantly better that higher priced comparable lenses.
02-04-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I got the 18-200 for $300 (Ted's - an Australian chain) recently. It is well built and sharp wide open throughout its range. It stays on the K-01 all the time. If the 18-250 is better it must be very good. Popular Photography rated the 18-200 DC II as excellent at all focal lengths and significantly better that higher priced comparable lenses.
PJ1, I'm looking at adding a travel zoom for my K01, so the one you got from Teds was the mark ii version, as the picture on their website shows the original? How's the AF speed and accuracy with the K01? Thanks.
02-04-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
PJ1
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,311
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
PJ1, I'm looking at adding a travel zoom for my K01, so the one you got from Teds was the mark ii version, as the picture on their website shows the original? How's the AF speed and accuracy with the K01? Thanks.
Yes, it is definitely the mark II. It is different lens to the previous model (18 elements in 14 groups instead of 18 in 13; it also has one FLD element). There have been three versions of the lens, so you need to be sure which one is the subject in any review.

I think the AF speed and accuracy are fine. It depends on the subject though. Because the K-01 relies on contrast detection, low contrast scenes will always be a problem. For example, I occasionally snap the F/A18 Super Hornets when they are training out here. They are high up, but the 400 mm gives some good shots. The K10D can handle it, but the K-01 can't. It's the system rather than the lens. I haven't tried the 18-200 on my K10D.
02-04-2013, 04:56 AM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Yes, it is definitely the mark II. It is different lens to the previous model (18 elements in 14 groups instead of 18 in 13; it also has one FLD element). There have been three versions of the lens, so you need to be sure which one is the subject in any review.

I think the AF speed and accuracy are fine. It depends on the subject though. Because the K-01 relies on contrast detection, low contrast scenes will always be a problem. For example, I occasionally snap the F/A18 Super Hornets when they are training out here. They are high up, but the 400 mm gives some good shots. The K10D can handle it, but the K-01 can't. It's the system rather than the lens. I haven't tried the 18-200 on my K10D.
Thanks, sounds good. I'm leaning towards the 18-250 given the extra reach over the pentax 18-55. Just need a relatively cheap zoom for travel.

02-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Banned




Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Charleston & Pittsburgh
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The K10D can handle it, but the K-01 can't. It's the system rather than the lens
Somewhat accurate. This is why real pro's really like items like the Nikon D4 - besides having the obvious full frame feature. Because many Nikons can use lens' at or below the F8.0 aperature and still focus incredibly accurately. Unfortunately there isn't a Pentax made that can get near that
02-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 304
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Somewhat accurate. This is why real pro's really like items like the Nikon D4 - besides having the obvious full frame feature. Because many Nikons can use lens' at or below the F8.0 aperature and still focus incredibly accurately. Unfortunately there isn't a Pentax made that can get near that
I doubt it has anything to do with the set aperture. Isn't the aperture wide open while focusing? The apertures is stopped down to the set value only at the time of releasing the shutter.
02-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
So would the sigma 18-200 provide better or at least similar IQ to the Pentax 18-55 kit lens?
02-05-2013, 05:29 AM   #12
PJ1
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,311
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMike Quote
So would the sigma 18-200 provide better or at least similar IQ to the Pentax 18-55 kit lens?
I was thinking about that myself. I have the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AL II. I will do a comparison on the weekend and post it here.
02-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
I was thinking about that myself. I have the 18-55 f3.5-5.6 AL II. I will do a comparison on the weekend and post it here.
That would be great, thanks.
02-15-2013, 04:35 AM   #14
PJ1
Site Supporter
PJ1's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mosquito Creek, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,311
Rough comparison - Sigma 18-200 and Pentax 18-55 AL II

The following shots are a rough comparison between the Sigma 18-200 F3.5-6.3 DC HSM II and Pentax 18-55 F3.5-5.6 AL II. These lenses obviously have different applications. One would not normally compare these lenses because one would not usually be choosing between them. However, as the Pentax is considered to be a very good kit lens, it is useful as a benchmark to compare with the Sigma in the 18-55 range.

I have not had the Sigma for very long. Most of my photography is done in the bush (animals, etc) under conditions where I cannot easily or conveniently change lenses. I bought it to use on my K-01. My impression so far is that it is very good. Certainly it will give me images that are suitable for the publications my images have been used in previously (mostly landcare and government publications on pest animals). Yes, a pocket full of primes would be better - but far less convenient. To each his own.

The following images are resized (15%) with P or S in the bottom right hand corner to indicate Pentax or Sigma. There are also 100% crops from areas close to the centre for more detailed comparison. All images are jpegs shot at f8 using the K-01 recommended settings, with the exception of the red necked wallaby which is f11. This image has been included to show the Sigma's performance at 200 mm.

My impression is that the Sigma has more contrast and may transmit more light. The water shots at 55 mm were taken under the same lighting conditions, but the Pentax is quite dull (and 200 ASA) compared with the Sigma (100 ASA) at the same shutter speed. Other images show the Pentax to be just a little bit dull. For example, in the storm shots, the Sigma shows more contrast in the trees on the horizon than does the Pentax. The Sigma appears to be sharper (e.g. the corrugations in the 18 mm comparison), but perceived sharpness is a combination of resolution and contrast. If RAW images were subject to post processing, I suspect the Pentax might close the gap in the comparison. But I am no expert there.

So here are the images. Any questions will be answered to the best of my ability.

























02-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 104
Appreciate the comparison, even to my untrained eye, I agree with your observations, quite impressed with the sigma given it's a telezoom and the pentax kit lens is meant to be one of the best kit lenses out there. Thanks agan!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax deals, rebates
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: White Pentax K-r with new 18-55 and 2 mo Warranty and Sigma 18-200 mcnugget Sold Items 4 10-13-2012 03:34 AM
New Sigma 18-250 Vs Used Tamron/Pentax 18-250 regardless of the price ishchupak Pentax K-5 11 09-26-2011 01:45 AM
Sigma 18-250 vs Tamron 18-200 vs Sigma 18-200 5150ds Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 19 04-11-2011 05:00 PM
Sigma 18-200 or Pentax 18-250 good for K-x? lenchan Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 11-11-2009 10:27 AM
Pentax SMC DA 18-250 vs Sigma 18-200 DC - Which One Should I Buy? Macca35 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 04-14-2009 07:33 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:14 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top