Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  
Bower 24mm F1.4 - $300 Off ($399)
Posted By: Adam, 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM

$300 off the regular price on this fast prime, this week only! $399 total.

Bower 24mm f/1.4 Wide-Angle Lens for Pentax SLY2414P B&H Photo


Views: 7,510
02-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,235
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
What are the advantages of the 24mm over the 85mm that make it have so much higher MSRP? $699 (not $600, my bad) is a far cry from the $299 msrp of the 85mm. Granted right now it's only a $100 difference, but in a month or so it'll be right back up there.

Charles
It's a lot harder to make a fast 24mm in terms of optics. Canon and Nikon's 24mm F1.4 are both almsot $2k, so this Bower lens is definitely a steal! Plus it's a full-frame lens, one which Pentax has never made themselves.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N. Calif
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,597
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a lot harder to make a fast 24mm in terms of optics. Canon and Nikon's 24mm F1.4 are both almsot $2k, so this Bower lens is definitely a steal! Plus it's a full-frame lens, one which Pentax has never made themselves.
Is there any difference between this Bower version and the Rokinon or Samyang? Quality of glass? Build quality?
02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Forum Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 70
They're all re-brands of Samyang.
02-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #19
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 896
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's a lot harder to make a fast 24mm in terms of optics. Canon and Nikon's 24mm F1.4 are both almsot $2k, so this Bower lens is definitely a steal! Plus it's a full-frame lens, one which Pentax has never made themselves.
Pentax made an FA 24mm f2 though, which appears to go for around $550 if you believe the lens database. Not quite as fast, but has AF.

Charles.

02-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
What a great deal. This lens and a K-01 would probably compare favorably to an RX1, at 1/4 the price.
02-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
Pentaxian
todd's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Basement
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,943
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
More glass, bigger and thicker glass
yeah i noticed it weighs 1.4lbs...
02-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Pentax made an FA 24mm f2 though, which appears to go for around $550 if you believe the lens database. Not quite as fast, but has AF.

Charles.
That is a popular lens, but 1.4 is a stop faster. A lot of people don't care about or use AF and are willing to pay for quality glass. Zeiss, Leica and Voightlander make a lot of money selling MF glass. The Zeiss Distagon T* 25mm f/2.0 ZF.2 Lens is $1699 and it's not available in K mount. We realize that it's not for you, but a lot of people prefer MF. MF specific lenses usually have superior focus rings and AF is useless for video.
02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member
causey's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Arlington, VA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,758
too bad it weighs a ton.

02-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 43
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Are people buying these? Am I the only one who just doesn't get it?

Charles.
I'm with you Charles.

The boosters of these cheap Chinese lenses (that's a fact, not an insult) seem to think they're capable of magic. I.e. They've found a way to produce optically excellent lenses for a fraction of the cost of major brands without other significant compromise. The lack of AF certainly helps the price but the 'reviews' fans give this glass isn't realistic. Sigma have just managed to surpass Canon, Nikon and Zeiss with a 35mm 1.4 - Leica still beat everyone and charge people for the excellence.

At best these lenses are using decent optical formulas, good coatings and then wrapping them in inferior casings built to low standards. If that's not the case I expect a major brand to buy them wholesale and borrow their magical powers to take on the rest of the market.

Over time a lot of the value of a lens is how well it holds up, takes knocks, keeps ticking and stays smooth. I'm not sure this glass is built for that at all.
02-15-2013, 12:03 PM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Somewhere, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 453
I would love to have this lens, but man...1.5lbs?? I think I will stick to slower 24mm lenses and save some weight. This sure would be dreamy on full frame though!
02-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Biro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,182
Just to put some perspective on the conversation, quite possibly the only other fast 24mm prime option for Pentax right now - if you're buying new - is the Sigma 24mm f/1.8, which is also full frame and has auto focus. At B&H, the price is $549.

Sigma W/A 24mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro AF Lens 432109

The answer will be different for many of us, but what would you buy: the Sigma at $549 or the Bower at $399? Auto focus versus $150 savings and an extra stop?
02-15-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
QuoteOriginally posted by MrSkelter Quote
I'm with you Charles.

The boosters of these cheap Chinese lenses (that's a fact, not an insult) seem to think they're capable of magic. I.e. They've found a way to produce optically excellent lenses for a fraction of the cost of major brands without other significant compromise. The lack of AF certainly helps the price but the 'reviews' fans give this glass isn't realistic. Sigma have just managed to surpass Canon, Nikon and Zeiss with a 35mm 1.4 - Leica still beat everyone and charge people for the excellence.

At best these lenses are using decent optical formulas, good coatings and then wrapping them in inferior casings built to low standards. If that's not the case I expect a major brand to buy them wholesale and borrow their magical powers to take on the rest of the market.

Over time a lot of the value of a lens is how well it holds up, takes knocks, keeps ticking and stays smooth. I'm not sure this glass is built for that at all.
Samyang is Korean. Have you ever held one of these lenses? They are built to very high standards, not Zeiss high, but they are better built than most lenses that cost much more. Everything about the Samyang lenses speaks to their quality.
02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
CDW
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Big Island, Hawaii & Utah
Posts: 378
These lenses are made in Korea, not China. The 14mm version is sharper edge to edge than any of my previously used Canon L series wide angle zooms. 1.5 lbs is a bit heavy but it's fast glass. I've had my 14mm for a year, carried it in backpacks on multiday hiking trips with no problems whatsoever. Focus confirmation works wonders with MF lenses. If someone isn't able to deal with MF, I'm sorry for your lack of ability but some of us can and we are the market for these products.
02-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N. Calif
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,597
QuoteOriginally posted by zosxavius Quote
I would love to have this lens, but man...1.5lbs?? I think I will stick to slower 24mm lenses and save some weight. This sure would be dreamy on full frame though!
I am just hoping that Pentax will retain the legacy K-mount in its full-frame DSLR. It will be a big blunder to change the mount design for the full frame DSLR. (companies are known to make this mistake - remember Betamax?)
02-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #30
Forum Member
wolffy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Saint Paul, MN USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 63
Question about these lenses do they do auto aperture? I can deal with focus but I draw the line on fully manual lenses.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24mm, bower, pentax deals
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: AF-540fgz, Blackrapid RS-4 Munki Sold Items 12 02-19-2013 11:25 PM
For Sale - Sold: Price reduced: Pentax K200D, FA 50/f1.4, DA 55-300 ED, M 50/f1.7, A 35-70/f4 zj4c Sold Items 5 11-21-2011 11:05 AM
Samyang 24mm f1.4 kevinschoenmakers Pentax News and Rumors 46 08-19-2011 08:23 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax FA50 f1.4/F50 f1.7/DA55-300/Asanuma 200mm f3.5 M42(Worldwide) elpolodiablo Sold Items 18 06-01-2011 09:45 AM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4, 50mm M f1.4, Tak. 135mm f2.5, Tak. M42 55mm f1.8 (US) DenverDutchman Sold Items 2 11-25-2010 10:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top