Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bower 24mm F1.4 - $300 Off ($399)
Posted By: Adam, 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM

$300 off the regular price on this fast prime, this week only! $399 total.

Bower 24mm f/1.4 Wide-Angle Lens for Pentax SLY2414P B&H Photo

Views: 7,282
02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wolffy Quote
Question about these lenses do they do auto aperture? I can deal with focus but I draw the line on fully manual lenses.
That's an excellent question and one that will make a big difference to many people. I know some of Samyang's primes (at least for Pentax) do have chips and electrical connections that allow for metering. The ultra-wide fish-eye is one. But I don't know if all of them do. It would be great to get a definitive answer.

02-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
Just to put some perspective on the conversation, quite possibly the only other fast 24mm prime option for Pentax right now - if you're buying new - is the Sigma 24mm f/1.8, which is also full frame and has auto focus. At B&H, the price is $549.

Sigma W/A 24mm f/1.8 EX Aspherical DG DF Macro AF Lens 432109

The answer will be different for many of us, but what would you buy: the Sigma at $549 or the Bower at $399? Auto focus versus $150 savings and an extra stop?
This Siggy is also 1.07lbs and has 9 blades (versus the 1.4lbs and 8 blades of the Samyang/Bower)
02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
YOur definitive answer on the auto aperture is yes. All of the pentax mount latest samyang lenses are fully automated with pentax bodies...
02-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by wolffy Quote
Question about these lenses do they do auto aperture? I can deal with focus but I draw the line on fully manual lenses.
I would love to find out this information as well. I think I read someone said 35mm 1.4 does have auto aperture so I can take a picture with AV mode. If I can do that with this lens, I might want to try it out. Manual focusing isn't bad if I am doing it on AV mode.

02-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #35
Site Supporter

I got the Sigma EX 28mm f1.8 Macro new from a camera store selling on eBay last year for $299. It is full frame & autofocus (not that I mind manual focus - i think autofocus is for wussies) and it only cost $299. Highly recommended lens with very shallow DOF. Sigma also makes wider f1.8 models, but in my view you have more optical compromises the wider you go. Yes, it is heavier. If that is a problem, I recommend the Carl Zeiss Jena MC electric Flektogon 35mm f2.4 for wide/fast/macro/light (but it is manual focus).
02-15-2013, 01:05 PM   #36
Forum Member

I simply don't want to buy a full-frame lens for my remnant-frame pentax camera
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savager Quote
I would love to find out this information as well. I think I read someone said 35mm 1.4 does have auto aperture so I can take a picture with AV mode. If I can do that with this lens, I might want to try it out. Manual focusing isn't bad if I am doing it on AV mode.
If you don't believe joe.penn (who does know what he is talking about), then just look at the images of this lens - see that red "A" on the aperture ring?
02-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
If you don't believe joe.penn (who does know what he is talking about), then just look at the images of this lens - see that red "A" on the aperture ring?
I believe it now. Yes, I see it from the image of the lens however they often use the same image for all other brand as well, so you can't really tell for 100%.

02-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by savager Quote
I believe it now. Yes, I see it from the image of the lens however they often use the same image for all other brand as well, so you can't really tell for 100%.
True that - always good to double check!
02-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrSkelter Quote
I'm with you Charles.

The boosters of these cheap Chinese lenses (that's a fact, not an insult) seem to think they're capable of magic. I.e. They've found a way to produce optically excellent lenses for a fraction of the cost of major brands without other significant compromise. The lack of AF certainly helps the price but the 'reviews' fans give this glass isn't realistic. Sigma have just managed to surpass Canon, Nikon and Zeiss with a 35mm 1.4 - Leica still beat everyone and charge people for the excellence.

At best these lenses are using decent optical formulas, good coatings and then wrapping them in inferior casings built to low standards. If that's not the case I expect a major brand to buy them wholesale and borrow their magical powers to take on the rest of the market.

Over time a lot of the value of a lens is how well it holds up, takes knocks, keeps ticking and stays smooth. I'm not sure this glass is built for that at all.
QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Samyang is Korean. Have you ever held one of these lenses? They are built to very high standards, not Zeiss high, but they are better built than most lenses that cost much more. Everything about the Samyang lenses speaks to their quality.
Skelter - sorry to say you're way off base. These lenses are built like tanks - largely metal construction and well damped focus.
02-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #41
Veteran Member

It's a great deal if you are into MF, but wouldn't it be nice if Pentax made some fast wide primes?

That is the main reason I own another system.
02-15-2013, 02:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Originally posted by savager
True that - always good to double check!
There has been confusion on this - the main problem is companies like Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc.. use stock photos of the lenses provided to them by the manufacturer or the brand and most of these images are of the mainstream mounts (canon, nikon) - if you pull it up on B&H right now (the ROKINON branded version) it is a picture that is not in pentax mount (maybe showing nikon mount one) so it does not show the "A" setting or "A" contacts. I have had 4 of the 5 (85mm, 35mm, 14mm, 8mm - don't have this one 24mm in hand yet) and all are fully automated for pentax bodies.
02-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I believe the 24mm does offer the A setting. Considering Pentax's dedication to small lenses, it's unlikely that they'll ever make something like this themselves.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-16-2013, 03:04 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
$300 off the regular price on this fast prime, this week only! $399 total.

Bower 24mm f/1.4 Wide-Angle Lens for Pentax SLY2414P B&H Photo
Awesome deal.

Unfortunately, I can't order... web orders are unavailable from Friday evening until Saturday night.

Question to a B&H rep... Can I pay for this item using a Paypal account *or* a Canadian CC but have it shipped to a U.S. address?
02-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
But $600+ MSRP for a lens without AF? Before the K-01 (and focus peaking) made it into my life I wouldn't have spent $20 on a MF lens, much less $600.
What about thousands of dollars? If I used this line of reasoning I wouldn't be able to do half the photography I do. When autofocus is going to cost me 1,500-2,000 more on a telephoto lens sometimes you just have to deal with it.