Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bower 24mm F1.4 - $300 Off ($399)
Posted By: Adam, 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM

$300 off the regular price on this fast prime, this week only! $399 total.

Bower 24mm f/1.4 Wide-Angle Lens for Pentax SLY2414P B&H Photo

Views: 7,535
02-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #46

This is a tough call. I really like Samyang, having purchased their 14mm and 35mm. The rub is I already have a SMC Pentax-M 28mm F2.8 and while it doesn't have quite the glass and speed it is portable, offers decent IQ, and used ones can be had for pretty cheap. Anyone see compelling reasons to get this in light of my current ownership?

02-16-2013, 05:52 PM   #47
Banned

I just ordered it from B&H and will use it on my Pentax DSLRs in APS-C mode and Sony NEX-VG900 in full frame mode using my PK-NEX adapter. I have the 35mm F1.4 Bower in Sony A mount that I use on my VG900 with Sony LA-EA3 A mount to E mount adapter that I like on it.
02-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whilst I would like to order from B&H (and help the forum), their shipping to Oz kills the deal. As pointed out earlier in the thread, Amazon sells it for 410, but shipping is much less. Only issue is its Rokinon over at Amazon, doesnt have the A marking, and the Rokinon website describes it as manual exposure. Can someone who has experience with the Rokinon version clarify it is indeed an A lens? Thanks.
02-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #49
Banned

On B&H it shows the Pentax mount Bower 24mm F1.4 as a Pentax A lens and the Pentax mount Rokinon 24mm F1.4 as full manual but it might not show the actual Pentax version in the photo.

Last edited by jogiba; 02-16-2013 at 06:25 PM.
02-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe all Pentax versions of every branding are A lenses. Everyone I have seen has been. Canon users aren't so lucky.
02-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by arcturus Quote
Anyone see compelling reasons to get this in light of my current ownership?
I have both the M28 and the Samyang 24. If you're a stickler for focal length, which I am, that difference alone is enough reason to buy the Samyang. The two additional stops of speed (and shallower depth of field) are also great. If you do video work, the larger circumference of the lens barrel is also an advantage.
02-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I have both the M28 and the Samyang 24. If you're a stickler for focal length, which I am, that difference alone is enough reason to buy the Samyang. The two additional stops of speed (and shallower depth of field) are also great. If you do video work, the larger circumference of the lens barrel is also an advantage.
Does the Samyang 24 have an A position marked on the lens and does it offer auto aperture?
02-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I placed my order with B&H yesterday but due to a long-time problem with Paypal, my shipping address was missing my unit #. I asked B&H to manually add it to the shipment but they are unwilling to do that (apparently it is against Paypal rules???). I have never experienced this problem with any other vendor and I am unwilling to risk this order getting lost, so I cancelled my order.

This lens would have been a nice addition to my working Pentax lens collection. I am not impressed with B&H! :-(

02-17-2013, 04:38 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I placed my order with B&H yesterday but due to a long-time problem with Paypal, my shipping address was missing my unit #. I asked B&H to manually add it to the shipment but they are unwilling to do that (apparently it is against Paypal rules???). I have never experienced this problem with any other vendor and I am unwilling to risk this order getting lost, so I canceled my order. I am not impressed with B&H. :-(
Why are you blaming B&H? Orders paid for with PayPal must be shipped to the verified address or all buyer/seller protection is lost. Just use a credit or debit card if you have a problem with your PayPal address.......
02-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Darn, my favorite shop Adorama is selling the same lens for $689. But, at least, they don't put me through all that shipping address nonsense.
02-17-2013, 04:43 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Why are you blaming B&H? Orders paid for with PayPal must be shipped to the verified address or all buyer/seller protection is lost. Just use a credit or debit card if you have a problem with your PayPal address.......
I am blaming B&H because I have purchased a lot of equipment through other vendors (like Adorama) and they always cheerfully append my unit # to the shipment.

It is not like I am asking them to CHANGE my address, it is simply a matter of the unit # not being sent from Paypal to the vendor; this doesn't change my verified address status. Yes, Paypal is aware of the problem but...well... if you have experience dealing with their 'support' you'll understand why it hasn't been resolved.

I cannot use a credit card because my credit card is attached to a Canadian address and I live/work in the U.S..
02-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I am blaming B&H because I have purchased a lot of equipment through other vendors (like Adorama) and they always cheerfully append my unit # to the shipment.

It is not like I am asking them to CHANGE my address, it is simply a matter of the unit # not being sent from Paypal to the vendor; this doesn't change my verified address status. Yes, Paypal is aware of the problem but...well... if you have experience dealing with their 'support' you'll understand why it hasn't been resolved.

I cannot use a credit card because my credit card is attached to a Canadian address and I live/work in the U.S..
I understand your frustrations then. How about calling Adorama tomorrow and ask them to price match? I've heard they are usually pretty good with price matching.
02-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I understand your frustrations then. How about calling Adorama tomorrow and ask them to price match? I've heard they are usually pretty good with price matching.
I am going to do that but I was trying to show support for B&H because they are a site supporter.
02-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #59
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
It's Adorama's store policy to always match BH prices, but they don't always offer the same deals in order to be fair to each other.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-17-2013, 06:09 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's Adorama's store policy to always match BH prices, but they don't always offer the same deals in order to be fair to each other.
I think it will be moot. The sale is over today. :-(

Incidentally, I chatted with Paypal and they don't yet know why this is happening to my on-line transactions but the support person also couldn't understand why B&H could append my shipping address unit # to the order. My confirmed address is still valid.

Anyhow, I guess I will find out tomorrow whether this order will go through or I must cancel it. I must say, this was one sweet deal that you presented to us Adam! Thank you regardless of what transpires with my order.