Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bower 8mm Fish-Eye at Adorama - $239 +FS
Posted By: Docrwm, 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Bower 8mm f/3.5 Lens for Pentax APS-C DSLR Cameras SLY358P

Bower 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Manual Focus Lens for Pentax APS-C DSLR Autofocus Cameras

Special Price
$239.00 Regular Price $289.00
Free Shipping

I had ordered one of these from Buydig on 1/24/13 and it still shows as backordered (it was $225 there) but a price is only a deal if you actually get a lens

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-12-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Views: 3,400
02-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Huh? No sure what you mean Stan.
Sorry - mind going faster than the fingers this evening - edited my post to say "Good for them (you)"

02-12-2013, 08:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Sorry - mind going faster than the fingers this evening - edited my post to say "Good for them (you)"
Thanks. I'm irritated because this is the second or third time Buydig.com has failed to deliver what they offered. Yes, their customer service was responsive, but if they had done what they were supposed to in the first place I wouldn't have needed to get them involved.
02-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. I'm irritated because this is the second or third time Buydig.com has failed to deliver what they offered. Yes, their customer service was responsive, but if they had done what they were supposed to in the first place I wouldn't have needed to get them involved.
I can understand your frustration - advertising something that they can not deliver is just wrong. At least with this one I would feel quite confident that you will see if delivered.
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was very hesitant about this lens but went ahead and got it (Rokinon) because of the price. Very glad I did. It is easily one of my favorite lenses now.

02-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I can understand your frustration - advertising something that they can not deliver is just wrong. At least with this one I would feel quite confident that you will see if delivered.
I'm pretty much done with Buydig over this and the other fumbles they've committed.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sage97 Quote
I was very hesitant about this lens but went ahead and got it (Rokinon) because of the price. Very glad I did. It is easily one of my favorite lenses now.
Thanks, that's always good to hear when you've just paid and are waiting for the lens to arrive.
02-13-2013, 07:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

For the fisheye I can see keeping it manual focus. But Rokinon/Bower/Samiyang offers some really nice glass. It's too bad they don't actually build autofocus into them. It's not like it's terribly difficult for a Pentax, it's just a screw drive. No need for motors or anything. And they'd open the lenses to a much, much larger audience. An 85mm f1.4 AF lens for under $400 would be a no-brainer.

I did not however know about the hyperfocal deal with the fisheye. That has me much, much more interested. I was going to get the fisheye for the Q... now I may go for the Rokinon instead, and use it on my K-01.

Charles.
02-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
For the fisheye I can see keeping it manual focus. But Rokinon/Bower/Samiyang offers some really nice glass. It's too bad they don't actually build autofocus into them. It's not like it's terribly difficult for a Pentax, it's just a screw drive. No need for motors or anything. And they'd open the lenses to a much, much larger audience. An 85mm f1.4 AF lens for under $400 would be a no-brainer.

I did not however know about the hyperfocal deal with the fisheye. That has me much, much more interested. I was going to get the fisheye for the Q... now I may go for the Rokinon instead, and use it on my K-01.

Charles.
I agree that Rokinon doing AF would be Excellent. However its a bit more complicated than merely putting the screw drive gearing into the lens. There are electronics that monitor the lens, aperture, focus, etc. and interact with the camera body. Those and fitting the electronics and gearing into the lens is the challenge.
02-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

It would be nice to see Samyang go from 80's tech to 90's tech. There's kind of a catch-22 here. If anyone is going to go to the trouble of making an AF lens, they will want to start with the Big Two, because that's where the sales volume is, but Canon EF mount has the motor in the lens. So the mounts with simpler mechanical couplings won't get made because they are lower priority than the more complicated mount.

There's also the contradiction that AF shooters generally want lenses with short focus throws for faster focusing, and MF shooters want lenses with long focus throws for more accurate focusing. If you add a clutch system with different gearing, you're adding weight, size, complexity, and cost. The question is whether it's enough more bang for the additional bucks to maintain Samyang's budget reputation.

02-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I don't care if an AF lens has a long throw. I actually prefer it. If a f1.4 lens takes a little extra time to focus, that's fine by me, as it means I'll still be able to manually focus it when necessary.

Charles.
02-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
I don't care if an AF lens has a long throw. I actually prefer it. If a f1.4 lens takes a little extra time to focus, that's fine by me, as it means I'll still be able to manually focus it when necessary.

Charles.
Long throw on AF lenses means that the lens will take longer to focus, which many find annoying and will rate the lens low for useability.
02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The New Fish-Eye is here! Nice throw, well dampened, much lighter than I expected (I have their 85/1.4 which is a beast).
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, the 8mm and 14mm seem very different, concept-wise, from the later chunks of glass. My biggest problem with the 8mm was that enormous front element eating up all the room in the bag. One of the spring-tabs on the hood disappeared, but I was able to replace it with one from a generic lens cap.
02-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #28
MJL
Site Supporter

An outstanding sample image

Sample image from Galilean Nights Astrophotography winner Masahiro Miyasaka using a Samyang (Bower) 8/3.5 and K-r.

Milky Way Hermit crab | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The $239 sale at Adorama & BH is still on. I'm very tempted.
02-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote
Sample image from Galilean Nights Astrophotography winner Masahiro Miyasaka using a Samyang (Bower) 8/3.5 and K-r.

The $239 sale at Adorama & BH is still on. I'm very tempted.
Very Cool. He also had the O-GPS-1 unit on his K-r.
Attached Images

02-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJL Quote

Wow, just wow. That really shows what can be done with a budget lens on an entry-level body, and the value of technique (and practice and patience) over gear.