Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Bower 8mm Fish-Eye at Adorama - $239 +FS
Posted By: Docrwm, 02-12-2013, 11:48 AM

Bower 8mm f/3.5 Lens for Pentax APS-C DSLR Cameras SLY358P

Bower 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Manual Focus Lens for Pentax APS-C DSLR Autofocus Cameras

Special Price
$239.00 Regular Price $289.00
Free Shipping

I had ordered one of these from Buydig on 1/24/13 and it still shows as backordered (it was $225 there) but a price is only a deal if you actually get a lens

Last edited by Docrwm; 02-12-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Views: 3,382
02-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a question that maybe you can answer Doc -

The title heading on the Adorama page says "for autofocus Pentax cameras". In the features and specs, it doesn't say anything about being a manual focus lens, so I take it as being AF. If I were to buy one I would expect it to be auto-focus - would I be correct?
02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Funny how the description says "Bower 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Manual Focus Lens for Pentax APS-C DSLR Autofocus Cameras". The Pentax cameras are autofocus, but I have the 8mm and I assure you it's manual focus, as are all the rebadged Samyang (Bower/Rokinon/Vivitar/Opteka/Polar/Walimex) lenses.
02-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Funny how the description says "Bower 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Manual Focus Lens for Pentax APS-C DSLR Autofocus Cameras". The Pentax cameras are autofocus, but I have the 8mm and I assure you it's manual focus, as are all the rebadged Samyang (Bower/Rokinon/Vivitar/Opteka/Polar/Walimex) lenses.
+1 to that. What I think they were trying to say in the original Korean was that it has an "A" setting for cameras that are Auto but the lens is in fact MF. As I understand it, hyperfocal distance is something like 2feet for this one (please let me know if my memory is off) so focusing is only needed <2 feet generally.

02-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
+1 to that. What I think they were trying to say in the original Korean was that it has an "A" setting for cameras that are Auto but the lens is in fact MF. As I understand it, hyperfocal distance is something like 2feet for this one (please let me know if my memory is off) so focusing is only needed <2 feet generally.
That's true - I think I usually focused mine in zones of "less than five feet, about five feet, more than five feet". Also, the in-focus zone is a sphere (bubble?) instead of a plane. It can be a tricky lens, but it's a blast to play with, and at this price, a great way to dip into fisheye - 'way better IQ than a conversion lens, half the cost of a DA 10-17.
02-12-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
That's true - I think I usually focused mine in zones of "less than five feet, about five feet, more than five feet". Also, the in-focus zone is a sphere (bubble?) instead of a plane. It can be a tricky lens, but it's a blast to play with, and at this price, a great way to dip into fisheye - 'way better IQ than a conversion lens, half the cost of a DA 10-17.
Thanks. Those were my thoughts on buying one. I know its quirky and a challenge but the little fish-eye on my Q has been loads of fun and at $240 it seems a good buy.
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
is it easy to de-fish in photoshop, etc?
02-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I have one, the IQ is amazing and the focus ring is pretty pointless LOL. You just focus on near things if need be otherwise its almost all at hyperfocal.

02-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
is it easy to de-fish in photoshop, etc?
In my experience, it can be defished some, but not entirely. 8mm is pretty extreme. On a FF body, it becomes a full-circle fisheye. There were a number of how-tos for 'shaving' the hood for use on a Canon 5D - enough that Samyang is now offering a version with removable hood.

02-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the extra info folks. I kind of figured that it would me manual focus but wanted to be sure. It does seem like it would be a fun lens. I'm going to look for some sample images.
02-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for all the extra info folks. I kind of figured that it would me manual focus but wanted to be sure. It does seem like it would be a fun lens. I'm going to look for some sample images.
I do heartily agree that it is a fun, fun, fun and sharp lens. At a nice price, too, it just adds to the enjoyment. If it helps, I used this lens for a month in January and never tired of it. The link to those photos Rokinon 8mm Fisheye - a set on Flickr
02-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WWIFA Quote
I do heartily agree that it is a fun, fun, fun and sharp lens. At a nice price, too, it just adds to the enjoyment. If it helps, I used this lens for a month in January and never tired of it. The link to those photos Rokinon 8mm Fisheye - a set on Flickr
Thanks for the photo set Bruce - I just glanced through them right now - am going to take my time and take a good look later tonight. First impression is that you are right - looks like you had a lot of fun with it for that project.
02-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well BuyDig.Com did refund my money in really quick time so I applied it +$15 to the Adorama deal and have an 8mm Fish-Eye on the way from NYC.
02-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Well BuyDig.Com did refund my money in really quick time so I applied it +$15 to the Adorama deal and have an 8mm Fish-Eye on the way from NYC.
Good for them (you)!

Last edited by stormtech; 02-12-2013 at 06:14 PM.
02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
For for them (you)!
Huh? No sure what you mean Stan.