Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Dolica AX620B100 Tripod - $41.99 shipped
Posted By: arcturus, 02-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Yeah sure it's not professional grade but it's one of the better cheap ones.

Amazon.com: Dolica AX620B100 62-Inch Proline Tripod and Ball Head: Camera & Photo
Views: 1,336
02-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A bunch of us bought those about 2 years ago on a KILLER sale and mine has been a real asset. I only recently upgraded to a Manfrotto 055XPROB because of its horizontal center column feature but the Dolica has been solid and reliable for all that time. The head doesn't take standard plates but was serviceable too. Top it off with it comes with a VERY nice carry bag and its a good deal IMHO.
02-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My only complaint is that the plate is too small. The camera tends to shift.
02-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My only complaint is that the plate is too small. The camera tends to shift.
I put some grippy rubber in place of the cork and it solved that issue for me.

02-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
A bunch of us bought those about 2 years ago on a KILLER sale and mine has been a real asset. I only recently upgraded to a Manfrotto 055XPROB because of its horizontal center column feature but the Dolica has been solid and reliable for all that time. The head doesn't take standard plates but was serviceable too. Top it off with it comes with a VERY nice carry bag and its a good deal IMHO.
Yep, it was a good deal (about $18.50 after the Amazon special sale price plus another 25% off Dolica products).

I use a tripod about twice a year, so this was perfect :-)

Actually the center post is very sturdy due to the large "wing nut clamp" design. Sure beats those wobbly geared cranks.

Not good for long or heavy zooms, but any medium zoom or prime should be good to go.
02-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Yep, it was a good deal (about $18.50 after the Amazon special sale price plus another 25% off Dolica products).

I use a tripod about twice a year, so this was perfect :-)

Actually the center post is very sturdy due to the large "wing nut clamp" design. Sure beats those wobbly geared cranks.

Not good for long or heavy zooms, but any medium zoom or prime should be good to go.
I've used it with my Tamron 70-200/2.8 and since it has a collar it balances well and works well on the Dolica. My K300/4 has a balance point further back and it tends to struggle with that lens.
02-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #7

I have had the Dolica in my Amazon cart since right after Christmas, glad to see it getting favorable reviews from some of the forum members.

I have been trying to decide between the Dolica and a tripod by Ravelli. They started out roughly the same price but the Dolica has crept up a couple dollars. Anyone have any experience with the Raveli? It has slightly higher ratings from Amazon but that doesn't mean much. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something before I went with the Dolica.

Amazon.com: Ravelli Professional 65" Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Quick Release Plate and Carry Bag: Camera & Photo

Thanks for your help.
02-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #8

Indeed a nice tripod... my only complaint is that one of the snaps on one of the legs is somewhat loose and I it seems can not be repaired... this causes the leg to collapse from time to time... I just recently bought a new tripod....