Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
rare deal on a fun Rikenon lens
Posted By: jimr-pdx, 02-19-2013, 06:15 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

All-manual XR Rikenon 70-150mm f/4 up for a buy-now / make-offer price of $75. This may be the fourth copy I've ever seen; I really like mine and paid a similar price. Internal zoom so it only grows a tiny bit with focus. It has some degree of close focus, takes 52mm filters and has a built-in shade. Compares quite well to the Pentax 75-150 but this is a two-ring design (1 to focus 1 to zoom, unlike the push-pull Pentax. I tried many manual zooms and this one was easily my best - but flare can be ruinous if the light isn't right.

e.bay link

Here's my copy, which I put on the market but thankfully it didn't sell so it's still here - hmmm the auction item might not include the case, but the paint job still looks good!

Views: 1,611
02-20-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
(Thanks, thought I'd try it out for $65
Hopefully is good copy. Seller has 100% feedback.
I better not buy any more lenses for a while!!!!! My temporary LBA should clear up by the spring )

Last edited by Douge; 02-20-2013 at 11:15 AM.
02-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
If you move to the southern hemisphere that means six extra months til spring! hope your copy's as good as mine.
03-05-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Jim, I just got mine today
I was hoping you could help me. The aperture functions properly when the lens is *not* on the camera, but stays wide open when I mount it. I cannot seem to see any manual/auto switch on the lens. Is it possible to set the aperture on this lens on my Pentax k-5? I hope so! Because so far it seems to be a nice lens.

If worse comes to worst, I could probably get it to work probably with an adapter on my Sony Nex5n...

03-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I am not mistaken it stays open until you take the picture
03-06-2013, 12:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

It's an M type lens. You will need to shoot in M mode on your K-5, press the green button to meter. I am assuming that you have the K-5 set to permit the use of aperture ring (should be the default setting, not the other way around).
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for your replies guys.

Ya, sometimes I shoot with old M42 lenses. They have the "Auto/Manual" aperture switch. So I thought since was considered an all manual lens it would be similar. But it didn't stop down after I mounted the lens when I changed the aperture, or when I shot in TAv mode. So I thought maybe I was missing some setting on the lens. Like my Rokinon 35mm, where it has the Auto setting on the aperture ring. But I didn't have any luck funding a switch so I thought "There must be something else I'm doing wrong..."

So when I switched to M mode like excanonfd suggested, the Aperture stops down when you shoot Thanks! I haven't owned a semi-automatic aperture lens like this before, so this is even better than my M42 lenes! Awesome!

When I got the lens it was really quite dusty. The back really had quite a bit of dust. I had to use a puffer, and a brush to get inside there. At first it looked like there was a cleaning mark on the coating :S But I used a lens pen on it and it did a great job on it! I love lens pens! There is some dust inside the lens but IQ seems good. It's quite a sharp zoom lens for the price!

(Oh and I guess TAv mode is handy here if you know you are going to be shooting wide-open :P hehe)

Last edited by Douge; 03-06-2013 at 12:18 PM.
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Glad you're enjoying it, and that others guided you to the answer.
Not only is it a good lens optically, but it's quite rare which is part of the fun for me. Uncommon enough to own Pentax cameras, so why not go all out with a curious lens?