Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 39,387
03-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #181

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Neat to see my 4-year old thread referenced still

It's too bad about he downlevel firmware, but if you get a fully compatible copy, it can be a truly fantastic zoom.
Mine's still going strong 4 years later, and it's so good I kept it to shoot on full frame - even though it's an
aps-c lens. It's smaller/lighter than a 70-200 2.8, focuses fast and is very sharp, at least my copy is.
Highly recommended, even for more than $499.

Here are some examples on Full Frame (shot in DX (aps-c) mode on D800) :

75mm @ f/2.8

150mm @ f/2.8
Man...I can only imagine and dream of pictures this great with my copy.

03-19-2013, 06:25 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
Man...I can only imagine and dream of pictures this great with my copy.
You're not testing near MFD, are you?
03-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #183

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
You're not testing near MFD, are you?
MFD ? Sorry can you elaborate please?

If you mean Minimum focussing distance....that is the point where I get the best shots or close to it....if I move further ...the shots become more out of focus
03-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #184

btw I posted some of the pics with focussing issues using this lens in this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/218974-k5-fast-lenses-help-required.html
...this was before i sent the lens for recalibration..ofcourse there were a whole lot more which came out fine.

03-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #185
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
MFD ? Sorry can you elaborate please?
MFD = Minimum Focus Distance. This lens has been known to have AF problems near MFD, problems locking focus with accuracy, on all mounts, seemingly all firmware versions. See this post where I give an example. After about 2 meters, AF works like a champ. When I shoot mine near MFD, I often kick it into MF if I'm shooting faster than f/5.
03-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those who sent the lens, how did you send the camera. Did you send the camera attached to the lens or did you send the lens detached from the camera. Also, did you have to include the battery as well?

I Plan to send the lens tomorrow and I wanted to check with you.
03-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #187
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
For those who sent the lens, how did you send the camera. Did you send the camera attached to the lens or did you send the lens detached from the camera. Also, did you have to include the battery as well?

I Plan to send the lens tomorrow and I wanted to check with you.
I sent the lens in OEM case boxed as I received it along with K-5 less lens with original cover and OEM boxed. Fully charged battery and AF zeroed out. Sigma placed a large lithium battery and fragile sticker on the box via Fed Ex. In the few shots I did this evening, I can second jsherman's MFD assessment of about two meters as things began to focus as my feet moved. Again, I feel fortunate to find incredible service like this on a refurb. Good luck on yours.

03-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #188
Pentaxian

I sent the lens detached from the camera body. Both individually bubble wrapped and individually placed in a heavy duty ziplock bag (I once received a package that must have gone through a monsoon or something as water had managed to seep inside and the cardboard box itself was wet), then wrapped another sheet of bubble wrap around the both of them this made a nice compact and well cushioned package and after placing this in a box just filled in the space with those air bags (I always save packing materials). Total weight was about 4.5 lbs. I sent a copy of the submission form and wrote my k5's serial # on it and kindly asked them to repack the lens and camera with care (though it sounds like I didn't need to do this based on what others have reported regarding the manner in which it was packed for return).

BTW good to know about the 2m MFD...the specs have this at about 1m but I didn't have my copy long enough to discover this discrepancy.
03-20-2013, 06:08 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you all for replying.
03-20-2013, 08:34 AM   #190

Just spoke to Sigma. Apparently while testing the test charts are at 6 meters distance at 150mm and at 2 meters at the 50mm end. They have asked me to send in some sample shots without the MFA so that they can determine if it is still an issue. Will have to do it later this evening when I am back from work.
03-20-2013, 05:57 PM   #191
Veteran Member

What I'm hearing is that the DA*50-135 is better than this lens - does anyone have anything different to say?
03-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #192
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
What I'm hearing is that the DA*50-135 is better than this lens - does anyone have anything different to say?
They are very close. My 50-135 2.8 focused a bit more accurately right at MFD, but the Sigma locked focus faster in combo with my D90 (HSM II is very nice.)

I think the price of the Sigma, when you can get it discounted like this is a real draw, as is the HSM vs SDM. But optically, they're very close.
03-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #193
HSV
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I haven't found either one to be hands-down better...they render sort of different. These are my conclusions from real life shooting:

The 135 has better sharpness (detail resolving), (subjectively) more pleasing colors, and wins hands down on flare resistance. The only problem seems to be AF speed, which feels a lot slower than the Sigma or a screwdrive, and there's a delay. Well, and the SDM failures...

The 150 has better contrast, faster AF, and (subjectively) has better bokeh. I think flare resistance it this lens' biggest weakness, it's not very good to begin with and it get's horrible with filters. The Pentax seems to give almost the same output regardless of filters.

The 135 seems to be more of a modern lens, the 150 seems to sport older lens technology (not very flare resistance, bokeh fringing). Also, the Pentax is a tad warmer than the Sigma.

I guess most folks will like the Pentax rendering better, but I prefer the slightly edgier look of the Sigma.
03-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #194
Veteran Member

I have used my 50-135 extensively for dance performances, I never even knew the 50-135 had any issues with SDM till I started frequenting this forum after an absence of about two years. Nor have I had SDM issues with my other 2 DA* lenses. Based on my experiences to date, I am of the opinion that there is nothing wrong with the design of SDM, what is letting it down, is poor manufacturing. If you buy a new SDM lens and find its slow, return it straightaway, as its going to fail down the track.
03-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #195
Veteran Member

In terms of optics, both lenses are very close. Based on my own experience with the Sigma, I happen to think the 50-150mm is a bit sharper than the Pentax. I've been amazed at how sharp some of my f/2.8 images have been. But it's not as though there's been a lot of comparisons where two perfect examples of each lens were tested back-to-back on perfectly calibrated cameras shooting identical subjects using perfect technique. But really you would probably be splitting hairs to declare one lens better than the other optically. You will find many examples of excellent image quality from both lenses.

Fortunately, the lenses differentiate themselves in some more tangible ways. The Pentax has weather-sealing, but it is a relatively slow focuser and the reliability of the SDM is questionable. The Sigma is not known to have any special weather-sealing, but the HSM autofocus is very fast and is considered to be very reliable. The Sigma also has about 10% more reach.

So it really comes down to priorities. If weather-sealing is very important, then obviously go with the Pentax. But if fast autofocus performance is a must, then the Sigma is the better choice.

I'm a very happy Sigma owner and I would never trade mine for the Pentax, but then again, I'm someone who has no desire to take my camera gear out in the rain and shoot in dreary conditions. I also don't trust the SDM.