Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 31,749
04-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #241
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sargasa Quote
Definitely, I am the last to receive one.
I think not, my cousin will bring the lens to me when he arrive on the 18th, lol.

Kudos to the OP, Edgar and to everyone making this sale available.

04-03-2013, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #242

Here are my first quick results from a walk with my children. Overall, I'm pleased so far, except for 150mm fl, where it slightly softer than I would like. The sweet spot is between 70-100mm.
Some samples at open aperture, processed in LR4 to my liking:

Name:  IMGP5540.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  482.5 KB

Name:  IMGP5558.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  453.0 KB

With contrast af of K-01it is possible to focus and get sharp results at near MFD:

Name:  IMGP5553.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  386.7 KB
04-03-2013, 05:40 AM   #243
Site Supporter

Another one from the weekend which came out to my satisfaction....I must admit, it is fairly difficult to autofocus while shooting small subjects like birds through bushes and branches of trees.

Who's there knocking on my door | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
04-04-2013, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #244
Site Supporter

And yet another one...already post in another thread...I am starting to like this lens more and more...more so with the K5

04-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #245
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Okay, I just took some shots of my K-30 with the 50-150mm. Photographing something that is 50% glossy white and 50% matte black is rather challenging, but here's what I've got so far.
Nice set up with the white k30 and the 50-150...I must admit I haven't much cared for the design of the k30 but I actually like the white one quite a bit. Excellent "product" type shots btw!

QuoteOriginally posted by sargasa Quote
Here are my first quick results from a walk with my children. Overall, I'm pleased so far, except for 150mm fl, where it slightly softer than I would like. The sweet spot is between 70-100mm.
Some samples at open aperture, processed in LR4 to my liking: With contrast af of K-01 it is possible to focus and get sharp results at near MFD:
Nice wide open shots...I should try this on my k01 though the ergonomics and balance might be an issue, are you using a hand strap or something?

QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
And yet another one...already post in another thread...I am starting to like this lens more and more...more so with the K5
Nice examples, very sharp and with some challenging situations for AF too...is this one at 2.8? Seems like it. Preliminary results with mine seem to be good as well but I am not sure when I will get out to really give it a good run. I have several new lenses that I need to try out but alas I've been very tied up lately.
04-04-2013, 10:16 PM - 1 Like   #246
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
Nice set up with the white k30 and the 50-150...I must admit I haven't much cared for the design of the k30 but I actually like the white one quite a bit.
I fell in love with the look of a white DSLR when I first saw the white K-x online a few years ago. I of course bought it, and when the K-30 came out in white I immediately upgraded. If Pentax had ever offered the K-5 in white, that's what I'd be shooting with now. I'm currently looking to add a white Olympus XZ-1 to my collection to replace my Olympus PEN EP-1 with something more pocketable.

Excellent "product" type shots btw!
Thanks. I finance my photography hobby (and home theater hobby) by buying and reselling items, so I've gotten a lot of practice with product photography. I've found that having high-quality, well-lit photographs helps drive the price of my auctions up. I actually think I enjoy taking pictures of random inanimate objects more than taking pictures of people! But then again, I've never been much of a "people person"

Here's a picture I took this morning of a pair of shoes I just put up on eBay (item 130883110605 if you just must have them):

And here's my studio in my basement where I took the pictures. The only strobe firing for the shoe pictures was the one in front of the shoes; the backdrop strobes were turned off since I wasn't going for high-key shots (although in the interest of full-disclosure, In this particular shot I also had a strobe behind me pointing at the ceiling to illuminate the entire room, otherwise most of the picture would have been near-black except for the area right around the shoes illuminated by the front strobe):

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-04-2013 at 10:22 PM.
04-05-2013, 04:49 AM   #247
Pentaxian

thanks for sharing Edgar.
04-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #248
Site Supporter

I fell in love with the look of a white DSLR when I first saw the white K-x online a few years ago. I of course bought it, and when the K-30 came out in white I immediately upgraded. If Pentax had ever offered the K-5 in white, that's what I'd be shooting with now. I'm currently looking to add a white Olympus XZ-1 to my collection to replace my Olympus PEN EP-1 with something more pocketable.
Yeah I almost got a white kx last year but I think the more angular look of the k30 looks the best so far and the ability for focus peaking is definitely a plus over the k5...I find this feature very useful on my k01 white.

Thanks. I finance my photography hobby (and home theater hobby) by buying and reselling items, so I've gotten a lot of practice with product photography. I've found that having high-quality, well-lit photographs helps drive the price of my auctions up. I actually think I enjoy taking pictures of random inanimate objects more than taking pictures of people! But then again, I've never been much of a "people person"

Here's a picture I took this morning of a pair of shoes I just put up on eBay (item 130883110605 if you just must have them):
I don't take many photos of people either but somehow my wife manages to sneak into a few , speaking of the devil, I try to keep her away from anything that says Louis Vuitton...for the sake of maintaining a peaceful household

And here's my studio in my basement where I took the pictures. The only strobe firing for the shoe pictures was the one in front of the shoes; the backdrop strobes were turned off since I wasn't going for high-key shots (although in the interest of full-disclosure, In this particular shot I also had a strobe behind me pointing at the ceiling to illuminate the entire room, otherwise most of the picture would have been near-black except for the area right around the shoes illuminated by the front strobe):
Indeed, thanks for sharing this setup and your method...I would definitely find something on a smaller scale useful for some projects!

04-05-2013, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #249
Pentaxian

Indeed, thanks for sharing this setup and your method...I would definitely find something on a smaller scale useful for some projects!
I originally built my studio for doing portraits, and I still use it for that. Before I had a DSLR we were going to the "Picture People" studio at the mall all the time to get pictures of our kids, and they would charge $20 per print and we did not get the image files. So a few years ago I bought an Olympus e-420, a role of white paper, and some old Paul C. Buff canister strobes, and the rest is history.

It's true that if you were just doing product photography, you could get away with using a smaller setup. For many objects, a poster-board would suffice. Although for very gradual light dropoff, as seen in the pictures of the shoes, a large/deep studio helps.

And if you don't have strobes, you could use a regular light as long as you had your camera on a tripod and used a long exposure. I frequently use a long exposure with "hot lights" whenever I want to take a product picture of something outside of my studio.

Here's an example of a picture I took of a 50-150mm using the hotlight / tripod / long-exposure method. This picture was taken with my Tamron 28-75mm at 75mm. Exposure was f13 at 10 Seconds, ISO 100. Like the pictures of the shoes above, you can click on this one to pixel-peep the full-size image to see how sharp the combination of the 28-75mm and K-30 is.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 04-05-2013 at 07:27 AM.
04-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #250
Site Supporter

I originally built my studio for doing portraits, and I still use it for that. Before I had a DSLR we were going to the "Picture People" studio at the mall all the time to get pictures of our kids, and they would charge $20 per print and we did not get the image files.
And often times mall studio portraits look just like what they are too. I could definitely see doing this type of setup some day when we got some little ones of our own.

And if you don't have strobes, you could use a regular light as long as you had your camera on a tripod and used a long exposure. I frequently use a long exposure with "hot lights" whenever I want to take a product picture of something outside of my studio.
Yep I have used this technique many times and it can work quite well but for some projects what you got going on seems more ideal...point taken regarding the "gradual light drop off" technique and though I may go with something less wide I won't sacrifice depth...thanks again for this info!
04-05-2013, 07:35 AM   #251
Pentaxian

And often times mall studio portraits look just like what they are too. I could definitely see doing this type of setup some day when we got some little ones of our own.
I remember one time we went to "Picture People" I checked out their strobes. They were using AlienBees B400's which are fine but are not what I would have expected to see at a professional photo studio. But the funny thing was that the power level sliders on the strobes were taped down in position so that the "photographers" would not be able to adjust them. I took this to mean that the people behind the cameras can't always be trusted to understand exposure and lighting. I will say though that some of them were good at working with small children, which is a crucial skill for that type of photography.

Yep I have used this technique many times and it can work quite well
Just FYI, I meant to include exposure time for the above shot of the lens, but instead I mentioned the focal length twice. Exposure time was 10 seconds, hence the need for the tripod. I also use remote shutter release with 3-sec lock-up when using that method.
04-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #252
Site Supporter

The autofocus is fairly fast on the K5...click the picture for details, exif info and provide your expert comments

04-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
click the picture for details, exif info and provide your expert comments
My expert advise is to watch out for falling objects from above. Ha ha, just kidding. That's a great shot, very impressive.
04-13-2013, 06:54 AM   #254
Pentaxian

4 more days to go before I can lay my hands on big broda'!

Is the hood reversible? Mine would arrive today, yipee!

Last edited by wed7; 04-16-2013 at 04:44 PM.
04-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #255
Site Supporter

Click on the picture for full size and details