Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 31,167
04-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #256
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This lens helps us capture keeper pics everytime. Thanks to the OP, I am really happy with this lens.

04-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #257
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sureshgvv Quote
Thanks to the OP, I am really happy with this lens.
Really glad to hear it!! It's an awesome lens that I wish had been offered on the market for more time before it was sadly discontinued.
04-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #258
Veteran Member

This lens was perfect for this studio shoot. I really appreciate it being about half the weight of the newer version.
I was the only pentax shooter in the group :P

04-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #259
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douge Quote
This lens was perfect for this studio shoot. I really appreciate it being about half the weight of the newer version.
I was the only pentax shooter in the group :P
Definitely a keeper...nice one!

I'm liking the idea of off loading my copy less and less and although we are at the end of our semester and therefore quite busy with final exam preparations I wanted to take a moment and see if it is really all that impractical to use this lens with my K01. To my surprise it works quite well; AF is fast and accurate, ergonomics are not that big of a deal (maybe having large hands helps a bit here) and the high quality glass is definitely a plus with the K01's sensor. I took several shots wide open from both ends of the focal length range using AF and there wasn't any shot I was not satisfied with. My only concern at this point is tripod mounting...does anyone think it would be advisable to try and use a third party tripod collar with this lens and K01 for tripod situations? I cannot try the k01 and this lens on a tripod at the moment since I am looking for a new ballhead at this time and don't have my old one any longer. Anyways here are a couple of my tests wide open at 150mm from about 3m away, raw files were developed in LR4 without any PP other than the Lens Profile Correction enabled for this lens.

Attached Images

04-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #260
Pentaxian

Those are very nice shots, especially considering that close-work is not this lens's specialty. Although I do seem to remember somebody saying that they didn't have any trouble at all using the 50-150mm near its minimum focus distance on their K-01...
04-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #261
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Those are very nice shots, especially considering that close-work is not this lens's specialty. Although I do seem to remember somebody saying that they didn't have any trouble at all using the 50-150mm near its minimum focus distance on their K-01...
Yes thanks I am very happy and surprised at its AF performance with the k01 and that it is really no trouble to use as this combination. Interesting point about being able to utilize its MFD, I think that is something that I will experiment with. I don't do a lot of macro so perhaps I will off load my tamron instead and utilize a reverse ring I have for those times I want to shoot macro and obviously the tamron will be much easier to obtain later if I want. Seeing as how the Sig may still be useful for me with only the k01 I am more likely to hold on to it and of course a few years down the road I will have a dslr again and most likely Pentax.
04-22-2013, 08:42 PM   #262
Site Supporter

I never would have thought this lens could find a life on my k01 but I have withdrawn my marketplace listing for it. Quite frankly I am surprised it works as well as it does with this camera, by that I mean the AF of course. I did another quick test today while taking a break...this time I wanted to see if I could utilize the MFD properly with the AF which according to the lens specs is 1m. I started at about 0.5m away from a subject and backed up little by little until it could lock focus and when it did the lens was about 1m from the subject! I could not do this with my k5 and this lens. I have yet to try anything in very low light situations but due to the contrast detection type AF I really don't expect much there, but I have other lenses for those situations anyway. Here are a couple of examples taken from MFD, wide open, hand held, one from 50mm and one from 150mm for each subject and same treatment as before...raw developed in LR4 with only Lens Profile Correction enabled. Needless to say I am one happy camper.
Attached Images

04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #263
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gda13 Quote
I have withdrawn my marketplace listing for it.
a wise decision! excellent pictures!

04-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #264
Pentaxian

I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of the 50-150mm mounted on the K-01. Do you have access to a second camera?
04-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #265
Site Supporter

Sure...soon as I finish lunch you will have a gander...it looks pretty bada@@ !
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter

Here are some, I'm retired, cleaning house and training a new dog. I can multi-task no matter what my wife says.

Last edited by lukulele; 04-27-2014 at 10:45 AM.
04-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #267
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
a wise decision! excellent pictures!
Thanks 76er I am glad I could find a reason to keep it...I have to be as practical as possible with a limited budget but am quite happy with the way my kit has evolved over time to suit my needs. The only thing is I would probably be using this lens mostly for wildlife so I got to see if I can rig up some kind of 3rd party collar to help with a tripod...seems do-able. For hand held shots supporting the lens with my left hand balances it nicely and I have no problems operating the camera with my right one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I don't think I've ever seen any pictures of the 50-150mm mounted on the K-01. Do you have access to a second camera?
I hadn't either and never thought I would be combining these 2 but like Reese's PB cups it works! Here are some pics taken with my Q first one shot with RAW and processed with artistic liberty and although I almost never shoot jpeg I had to try the Q's Bold Monochrome setting...seemed fitting for this combos color scheme.
Attached Images

04-23-2013, 10:31 AM   #268
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Here are some, I'm retired, cleaning house and training a new dog. I can multi-task no matter what my wife says.
Quick on the draw! Looks great!
04-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #269
Loyal Site Supporter

Since I had the lens on, I went across the street to the test garden to try the 50-150 on some samples. Ooooooooh that sensor.

Last edited by lukulele; 04-27-2014 at 10:45 AM.
04-25-2013, 03:18 AM   #270

Click on the picture for full resolution and details...the high ISO Performance of the K5 is definitely a great leap forward for indoor pictures