Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 31,748
03-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote

So for the person a few posts above who asked if any of the 100-300mm f4's might show up at the outlet site, it looks like it's pretty unlikely.
Thanks for your post Edgar
It was nice of Sigma to respond about things like this

03-05-2013, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #77
Site Supporter

@seventysixersfan, A huge thank you for posting this deal here. I was planning to buy the DA*50-135 and started to save up some money for that, however this came along and I bought it. I saved some money by going for this deal. If this is a brand new lens being sold as refurb, then even sweet.

I do have a concern though, if these lenses were sitting there somewhere, i fear they might have to calibrated to the newer cameras(I hope Not).
03-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #78

I just ordered one. order went through and Sigma emailed and said it would ship tomorrow.
03-05-2013, 05:25 PM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

Thanks seventysixersfan for posting another great deal I had told myself "No more lenses!" after getting the FA 50mm on that Bootic thread, but this wasn't some sort of regular deal I could pass up. I just hope there are no problems with my order or I will be horribly disappointed. All I got so far was a confirmation email that said I "can expect shipment of your product on the next business day".

Last edited by Douge; 03-05-2013 at 05:30 PM.
03-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #80
Pentaxian

Out of stock...
03-05-2013, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #81
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douge Quote
Thanks seventysixersfan for posting another great deal I had told myself "No more lenses!" after getting the FA 50mm on that Bootic thread, but this wasn't some sort of regular deal I could pass up. I just hope there are no problems with my order or I will be horribly disappointed. All I got so far was a confirmation email that said I "can expect shipment of your product on the next business day".
Mine said the same but I called this afternoon and got a confirmation of shipping. A very nice young lady asked for the # and whether it was a repair or something else? As soon as I said outlet she said "shipped Monday." Great service Sigma and thanks seventysixerfan.
03-05-2013, 09:04 PM   #82
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Mine said the same but I called this afternoon and got a confirmation of shipping. A very nice young lady asked for the # and whether it was a repair or something else? As soon as I said outlet she said "shipped Monday." Great service Sigma and thanks seventysixerfan.
Thanks lukulele.
I will try and call tomorrow.
03-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #83

Ha! Edgar_in_indy I believe I Owe you a big Thank You! It was your ebay auction that got me to check the sigma outlet. Got mine on Sunday night. Must have been one of the last. Pheww.

03-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by versacopter Quote
Ha! Edgar_in_indy I believe I Owe you a big Thank You! It was your ebay auction that got me to check the sigma outlet. Got mine on Sunday night. Must have been one of the last. Pheww.
Congrats! Just out of curiosity, were you actually looking for a Sigma 50-150mm, or did you come across my listing while searching for a 50-135mm or 70-200mm?
03-06-2013, 07:55 AM   #85
Site Supporter

I don't know about that, but I could make a you a great deal on a doll...
have enough Dolls disguised as cats need to get portraits of them(ergo lens).do I have to wait 4 days and hope the bids don't go wild
03-06-2013, 08:44 AM - 1 Like   #86
Pentaxian

UPS driver stopped by this morning while I was breaking my back shoveling the snow out of my driveway. For the sake of irony, I took the pictures using my own 50-150mm.

03-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #87
Site Supporter

Had my copy waiting for me when I got home last evening.

The first shot I took at 150mm 2.8 on my newly acquired K5, was totally off focus. I turned the Aperture wheel to F4 and good stuff, at f5.6 tack sharp....i then spent till midnight trying out various options, focus adjustments, etc etc.
Here is what I came out with
150 mm f2.8 on on non-living subjects the focus might be a bit off but still acceptable but when shooting human faces (test subject was my wife who finally got fed up) the focus is all over the place, totally unacceptable.
not usre if it is a problem of the lens or the new K5.
Finally went to bed in a lousy mood. wil post pictures later this evening for everyones expert comments
03-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #88
Site Supporter

UPS driver stopped by this morning while I was breaking my back shoveling the snow out of my driveway. For the sake of irony, I took the pictures using my own 50-150mm.

so now you have 3 -sell one for 6 inc shipping
03-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #89
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
Finally went to bed in a lousy mood. wil post pictures later this evening for everyones expert comments
At 150mm and f/2.8, DOF is very thin, so perfect focus is an absolute must for sharp images. I don't know what the focus adjustment is like on the K-5, but on the K-30 I think that it is too coarse. In other words, you only have so many degrees of adjustment available. (I'm sure it would be a simple firmware adjustment for Pentax to allow more precise adjustments). If you are unlucky, then the perfect setting could lie between two of the given adjustment points. With most lenses it probably wouldn't be noticeable, but at 150mm and f/2.8 it better be perfect.

I wasn't satisfied with my own attempts to calibrate my 50-150mm on my K-30, so I sent it to Sigma with my K-30 for professional and precise calibration to my body. It's a free service when the lens is in warranty. The lens came back quickly and the autofocus has been spot-on perfect since then. In fact, I've sent several lenses to Sigma for calibration (first with my K-x, then with my K-30), and Sigma has always gotten it just right.

I recommend that everybody do this if they have any doubt whatsoever that the calibration isn't right. And since these lenses have a 90-day warranty, they qualify for free calibration. The only expense would be the shipping to Sigma since they cover the return shipping. For the bargain these lenses were, the extra $15 or so to ship it is money well-spent.
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #90
Site Supporter

I recommend that everybody do this if they have any doubt whatsoever that the calibration isn't right. And since these lenses have a 90-day warranty, they qualify for free calibration. The only expense would be the shipping to Sigma since they cover the return shipping. For the bargain these lenses were, the extra $15 or so to ship it is money well-spent.
So you sent your camera with the lens to Sigma? Only $15. I am assuming you would add insurance to it which would bump up the costs