Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 31,859
03-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #91

I too have had Sigma calibrate lenses for me, and they did a great job. It's a bit unnerving to send your entire kit through the mail, but it is worth it.

03-06-2013, 09:53 AM - 1 Like   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skamalpreet Quote
So you sent your camera with the lens to Sigma? Only $15. I am assuming you would add insurance to it which would bump up the costs
You're right. It's been a while since I sent my gear, but it probably would be closer to $30 or $40 to ship a body and lens with full insurance. That cost will vary with shipping distance, and if you're close enough to one of their service centers you can even take your items there personally. But with how good the price was on the lens, and the fact that shipping was free and most people didn't have to pay sales tax, it's still a great deal. The sales tax for me in Indiana (7%) would have been $35.

And yes, I would strongly recommend sending your body with the lens. If you send only the lens, all they can do is make sure it is calibrated to whatever the baseline should be for Pentax camera bodies. But I can tell you from personal experience that not all Pentax bodies are the same. The calibration for my K-x and my K-30 were very different, so there is certainly variation in the bodies as well. I don't know if the variation is due to the different camera models, or if it's just manufacturing variation.

That's why it kind of annoys me when people blame a lens for being off and just keep returning lenses and griping about poor quality control. The camera body and the lens are two precision instruments they have to work together, but they are each built with manufacturing tolerances that allow a certain range of variation. If they aren't matched perfectly, your results will be less than optimal. Now the typical consumers won't notice a problem in most cases since they aren't using professional lenses with super-thin depth of field and they're not as critical when viewing their images. But once you cross over into serious lenses and start paying close attention to your photography, you will probably want to have your lenses calibrated to your body.

Of course you may get lucky and get a lens that works perfectly with a given body, but you often will not. There is a reason that professional photographers calibrate their cameras and lenses. And the fact that Sigma offers it as a free service is outstanding.

When I've spoken to Sigma in the past, they have told me that their service department makes it a priority when somebody sends their camera body in. Both times that I sent my bodies to Sigma in New York, turn-around time was a day or less.
03-06-2013, 09:57 AM   #93
Site Supporter

Great! thanks Edgar. Still wondering why the focus should go out of control with human faces at 150mm f2.8...will test a bit more this eveniing and post the results
03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #94
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe for Sigma both lens & body are needed, but for Pentax the lens is enough..my DA300 was out a bit and now its perfect..they only had the lens..but maybe Pentax-Pentax is easier to calibrate

03-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #95
Pentaxian

What focus method are you using? I almost always use a single point since the auto-selection focus modes can be very unpredictable.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.
03-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #96
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Maybe for Sigma both lens & body are needed, but for Pentax the lens is enough..my DA300 was out a bit and now its perfect..they only had the lens..but maybe Pentax-Pentax is easier to calibrate
Maybe, but my K-x and K-30 were definitely different. Maybe there is some variation between models, and if you tell Pentax what model you're using with the lens they could get it pretty close. But even Canon "L" lenses can have calibration issues from the factory, so I would be surprised if Pentax knew something in this regard that Canon did not.

While I was researching the Canon factory calibration service on DPR forum, I saw one guy who said that he had sent lenses to Canon for calibration and he had also sent some to Sigma, and he was much more satisfied with Sigma's calibration service.

BTW, while reading about Canon's calibration service, it looks like they charge you upwards of $125 to calibrate a lens to a body, even if the lens is still under warranty.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-06-2013 at 10:15 AM.
03-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, What a beautiful piece of work! Absolutely no noise on AF. Hefty and silky smooth A RAW test at +2. I'll probably send it in for calibration since my vision isn't great. Opinions?

Last edited by lukulele; 04-21-2014 at 08:32 AM.
03-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #98
Pentaxian

If the focus was on the door of the little house, then it looks pretty good to me. But without seeing the 100% full-size image it can't be judged precisely.

03-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #99
Pentaxian

sigma 50-150

Looks sharp from here too, 'can't wait to see others who ordered this great lens.
03-06-2013, 03:15 PM   #100

Edgar, I was definitely searching for either the 50-150mm or the 70-200mm cant tell you for sure which one at the time. I just figured one of the two would pop up sooner or later at a good price! Man was I surprised to get one at this price!
03-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #101
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Ok, What a beautiful piece of work! Absolutely no noise on AF. Hefty and silky smooth A RAW test at +2. I'll probably send it in for calibration since my vision isn't great. Opinions?
Do you mind checking shooting indoors in Tungsten light fully open (f2.8) at 150mm. I am getting significant focussing issues especially when shooting human subjects. Will post the pictures shortly
03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Could not, because that would not be validated against my credit card info (the billing address has to be the same as your credit card home address to authorize the amount on the credit card side).
I put my freightforwarders US address as both the billing and shipping address and the charge went through, and has now appeared on my credit card statement. Still no sign of the lens though, forwarder hasnt received yet.
03-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #103

Well, I was pleased to see that my lens was delivered today. The AF is fast and silent, and it looks to be back focusing a little, but I should be able to easily dial that in. Everything looked good until I attempted to use Live View to begin adjusting the AF. The lens will not focus in Live View at any FL at any distance! I've never had a lens do that. I took the lens off and checked with that lens and Live View worked fine, so it is definitely a problem with the lens.
Anyone have that problem before?
03-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #104
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Uh oh. See this old thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/125732-sigma-50-150-hsm-refuse-focus-lv-k5.html

Sounds like you might need the lens' firmware upgraded. Wish they had done that before shipping out the refurbs. Funny, I didn't have this problem with my refurb that I got last August. These lenses must really be old stock if they don't have the updated firmware.
03-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I put my freightforwarders US address as both the billing and shipping address and the charge went through, and has now appeared on my credit card statement. Still no sign of the lens though, forwarder hasnt received yet.
Same here. I wonder if I can send the lens in here for Calibration/Firmware updates if need be. Seems like Sigma is good with their warranties:
http://www.photoprice.ca/article/warranty-us-canada-grey-market

But not sure if it's the same for outlet/refurb stuff.