Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 31,850
03-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Uh oh. See this old thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/125732-sigma-50-150-hsm-refuse-focus-lv-k5.html

Sounds like you might need the lens' firmware upgraded. Wish they had done that before shipping out the refurbs. Funny, I didn't have this problem with my refurb that I got last August. These lenses must really be old stock if they don't have the updated firmware.
Thank you very much for the old thread! I had a feeling that it was an electronics FW issue. I sure would have thought that they would have updated these before selling them. It certainly looks new, so maybe it was an old one sitting on a shelf somewhere. I guess I can send it back with my camera and have them calibrate it while it is there for the FW update...

03-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #107
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just received my sigma 50-150 today. Very excited. I mostly use manual lenses so this is a treat especially since you can manually focus it after AF. It's a great deal at $499. I was considering buying the new OS one but that would mean I'd have to jump ship to either canon or nikon. Not to mention almost double the weight of the lens.
03-06-2013, 09:47 PM   #108
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
I guess I can send it back with my camera and have them calibrate it while it is there for the FW update...
That's what I did. Sigma did the calibration and upgraded the firmware at the same time. Still, they should have made sure the lenses had the latest firmware before shipping them out.

If somebody got a lens that needs the firmware updated, it may be worth a shot to contact the Sigma Outlet and see if they'll refund $20 or so of the purchase price to cover the cost to ship the lens back for the firmware update. Although I might be a little hesitant to complain when it was such a great price to begin with.
03-06-2013, 10:03 PM   #109
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
That's what I did. Sigma did the calibration and upgraded the firmware at the same time. Still, they should have made sure the lenses had the latest firmware before shipping them out.

If somebody got a lens that needs the firmware updated, it may be worth a shot to contact the Sigma Outlet and see if they'll refund $20 or so of the purchase price to cover the cost to ship the lens back for the firmware update. Although I might be a little hesitant to complain when it was such a great price to begin with.
Is firmware update something which we can do ourselves?

03-06-2013, 10:12 PM - 1 Like   #110
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@seventysixerfan first of all... big thanks for discovering this deal, second... posting about this deal and third... providing the thread link for the FW update situation. In my book your thoughtfulness definitely merits a round at the pub for sure. I saw this thread and decided to give this lens a try and I am very glad I did. The lens arrived today (I called sigma yesterday for the status and they quickly provided me a tracking #) and for all intents and purposes it looks and functions brand new (with the exception of the live view focusing caveat). I recently, within the last few weeks, sold my DA* 50-135mm (and my 16-50mm) because I miss using primes (especially the limiteds) and I wanted to restructure my kit to incorporate smaller lenses (limiteds, A & M lenses) that would also work well on my newly acquired K01. However in a way I sort of wished I could have kept the 50-135mm alongside of my newly evolving needs but I have to budget so considering I was able to sell it for more than I paid for it that's a good chunk of $ I need to use elsewhere. But seeing this deal and being aware of this lens and its capabilities ( thanks in part to the many shared experiences of Edgar_in_Indy) from threads I had read when initially deciding between the DA* and the Sig...I decided I could definitely get this lens without really affecting my goals. I have never owned a Sigma lens before but this lens is excellent in terms of its build quality and its potential for images. I haven't had time to do much other than some quick testing and I am very pleased so far with its quick silent focusing (quicker than the DA*). Of course the live view issue I checked and confirmed with mine just a few moments ago after reading about it here (glad I did while its still in warranty) but no worries from me because for this price I am more than happy to send it to Sigma for the FW update...I guess I can have them refine the calibration with the lens to my K5 body while its there, although after my very preliminary quick test I don't think it needs much of that anyways. So thanks again and have a look at two test shots I took of a japanese stone lantern at 50mm and then at 150mm both of which were hand held at 2.8 with AF aimed at the bulbous part of the lantern top...not too shabby.
Attached Images

03-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #111
Site Supporter

Just got mine, will open and see if I have the same issues while focussing
03-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #112

Mine just showed up as well. I don't care much about live view focusing, but I'll likely send it to them to get calibrated anyway. Haven't tried it yet.
03-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #113
Site Supporter

I have the focussing issue in Live view. Looks like my lens will go to calibration pretty soon. Plan to send the body as well so that the calibration and firmware update is done.

03-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #114

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
I am not sure that would work, because you also need a billing addres in the USA (I am from Canada, and I tried with my credit card + a shipping address in USA, and it doesnt work). I even called them directly and no go! Unless you have someone that has a credit card in the USA and want to buy it for you (I was close to ask someone in the forum to buy it for me this weekend, but I resisted ;-)
It works. My copy is already arrived to freight forwarder and is ready to be shipped to Russia. And I paid with a card issued in Russia.
03-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sargasa Quote
It works. My copy is already arrived to freight forwarder.
Likewise.
03-07-2013, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #116
Site Supporter

Received mine today! It is brand new. Thanks a bunch seventysixerfan!
I can do some testing only tomorrow.
03-07-2013, 05:36 PM   #117
Pentaxian

Out of curiosity, how much does the freight-forwarding company charge?
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #118

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Out of curiosity, how much does the freight-forwarding company charge?
77$ via EMS + 7.60$ insurance if needed.
03-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #119

Mine came in today on my break, no time to test it, but it looks like new, and smells like new to me. Rodeo starts tomorrow I've got a feeling it will be there.
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sargasa Quote
It works. My copy is already arrived to freight forwarder and is ready to be shipped to Russia. And I paid with a card issued in Russia.
Well, thanks for the info, I should have tried the form till the end... I was influenced by past experiences on other sites and by the Sigma lady over the phone that told me that would not work... I guess that's life ! Anyways, there will be other good occasions on other lens, I imagine...