Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 39,368
03-04-2013, 07:40 AM   #31

Not yet! But I ordered a lens hood from Sigma a day before I ordered this lens, and still haven't received a ship notice for that.

03-04-2013, 08:08 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Damn - on backorder, so looks like I missed it...
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Don't worry, if the last outlet-sale on these lenses is any indicator, they will start showing up on the PF Marketplace in about a month... for $750 or so!
Heh heh, that's very true. Still, I think the rarity of this lens, as well as its excellent optical and mechanical qualities, justifies a high price. $499 is really too low for a market-rate price for this lens; I'm surprised that Sigma Outlet would sell it for that low. IMHO, when compared with the going rate for used DA* 50-135's that hover in the $800-$1000 range, this lens is worth at least around $650-750, depending on its condition. It's just missing WR, and yet it auto-focuses faster than the DA 50-135 and doesn't have the possible-failure-risk SDM.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-04-2013 at 08:43 AM.
03-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Damn - on backorder, so looks like I missed it...
Yep, that was fast, but the inventory ran out about the same time as last summer-- 4 days or so. Keep revisiting the website, though, in the next few days-- they might have more that come back in stock! That's what happened last year!

03-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
$499 is really too low for a market-rate price for this lens; I'm surprised that Sigma Outlet would sell it for that low.
I think $499 just became the market-rate price for this lens...
03-04-2013, 09:15 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I think $499 just became the market-rate price for this lens...
Hmm, maybe. But I would bet that the lens will be subject to the same forces of supply/demand as any other camera equipment, and the fact that you can't easily buy the lens for $499 anymore (because Sigma Outlet ran out of supply), means that people could ask for a few hundred more and then gauge whether interested buyers are willing to pay that amount for a relatively rare and excellent-performing lens. Then again, I did notice that there are two 50-150's currently available on the PF marketplace that are going for around $700 and haven't yet sold for whatever reason, so maybe you're right that the market-rate price has come down a bit. Still, this lens did sell a few times for $800 just last year. I guess anyone who really wants one hopefully was able to buy these refurbished units during the last few days. But for people who didn't have sufficient funds at this time, or live in countries where Sigma Outlet didn't ship, then there may yet be demand for the lens in the future at a price that is higher than this recent one.

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-04-2013 at 09:42 AM.
03-04-2013, 09:18 AM   #37
Veteran Member

$499 is really too low for a market-rate price for this lens; I'm surprised that Sigma Outlet would sell it for that low
Dumping Pentax stock - this lens on the used market for other mounts is $500~$600 on average and readily available, new it is $999 after the rebate.

03-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Dumping Pentax stock - this lens on the used market for other mounts is $500~$600 on average and readily available, new it is $999 after the rebate.
Hmm. Are you quoting the price for the non-OS version or the OS version of this lens? There is a newer OS version of this lens that is substantially heavier and larger (and more expensive). I'm not sure how readily available the non-OS, compact version is for other mounts, but to the extent that it is more available and cheaper, maybe it's because it's not stabilized and Canikon users don't want that in a fast telephoto zoom.
03-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
FYI, here is a review of the non-OS Nikon version of this lens:

Better Family Photos: Sigma 50-150 is TIGHT

in which he says:

QuoteQuote:
CAVEATS FOR THIS LENS: Image stabilization (or lack thereof): This is the part where Sony and Pentax shooters get payback. One issue with this lens is the lack of image stabilization. I think image stabilization would indeed be useful at the longer focal lengths of this lens. ... so, how's this lens without image stabilization? It's challenging but usable. In daytime, I shoot very carefully (bracing myself, etc. when possible), or I use continuous shooting. In dim conditions, I try using flash to freeze the subject (and camera movement). Therefore it is possible to get sharp shots with this lens even without image stabilization, though it's not easy at the long end....
For Sony and Pentax shooters of course, the absence of image stabilization presents no problems whatsoever because of the built-in stabilization in their cameras. In fact, the absence of stabilization is great -- it saves on lens cost and size! For Sony and Pentax, I think this lens is awesome...
03-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Hmm. Are you quoting the price for the non-OS version or the OS version of this lens?
sigma 50-150 | eBay

Don't think are are many of the non-os versions still new - I am referring too the HSMII model only in different mounts for the used ones, AFAIK the new model is not available for pentax, the new model is $999 after the current rebate:

sigma 50-150| B&H Photo Video
03-04-2013, 09:41 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yep, got it. But as I said, I think Canon and Nikon versions of the non-OS lens may be priced a little lower on the used marketplace because those shooters would prefer to have image stabilization built-in to the lens. Since this one doesn't have it, the price has to be lower to attract buyers. The Pentax version of the lens doesn't have to account for this omission.
03-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just spoke to the customer service and they said that the order would be going out today. After some research, I don't think we can expect a shipping notice or something, they just send it out
03-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The last time they offered these lenses refurbished, I got an emailed order confirmation right away, but then after 3 days, I got another email from "Kim" in the Sigma Sales Department that included the UPS tracking information. Hopefully you'll get something like that soon?
03-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Be interested to see if mine went through from late Friday. They sent the order invoice. There goes what was left of the retirement $.
03-04-2013, 07:49 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yep, got it. But as I said, I think Canon and Nikon versions of the non-OS lens may be priced a little lower on the used marketplace because those shooters would prefer to have image stabilization built-in to the lens. Since this one doesn't have it, the price has to be lower to attract buyers. The Pentax version of the lens doesn't have to account for this omission.
I think there's two big reasons the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 demand a premium in K-mount but sell for much less in Canon and Nikon mounts. You already pointed out the first reason, which is the lack of stabilization in the lens, which is a real bummer for a camera without in-body IS.

The other big reason is that there is no shortage of great telephoto lenses for Canon and Nikon users to choose from. On the contrary, there is an abundance of choices in telephotos, and most of the best ones are made by the camera manufacturers themselves. Pentax users, on the other hand, face a much different situation. We can't even count on the 3rd party lens makers to always support us.

Witness the new Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SP Di VC USD, which is very sharp and is probably the best consumer 300mm zoom lens out there. But it is not offered in Pentax mount, and when questioned Tamron says they have no plans to release it for Pentax. So when a company like Sigma comes out with a great telephoto lens and offers it in all the various mounts, it will be received with much more enthusiasm by Pentax users. (If Tamron ever did release that lens in Pentax mount, I'd buy it in a second.)

And in the case of the 50-150mm specifically, there's really only one alternative out there for Pentax users, and that's the Pentax 50-135mm. But that lens is problematic in a couple big ways. It is very expensive new, but on the used market there is always concern about the dreaded SDM failure. And on top of that, the AF is not very fast.

So if I were in the market for such a lens, I would jump at the chance to buy a 50-150mm. I would certainly pay more for a used Sigma 50-150mm than I would for a used Pentax 50-135mm. And I think the 50-135mm goes for between $700 and $800 used. So I think that anybody who got one of these (basically new) 50-150mm's for $500 got a screaming deal. I'm not surprised at all that they sold out as fast as they did. I'm just surprised that Sigma listed them so cheaply.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-04-2013 at 08:04 PM.