Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
5 Likes  
Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished- $499 at Sigma Outlet
Posted By: seventysixersfan, 03-01-2013, 01:45 PM

WOW!

These won't last long, I'm sure. $499 for the awesome and rare Sigma 50-150 F2.8 EX DC HSM II.
50-150mm F2.8 EX DC HSM II Refurbished | Sigma

Last time it was offered in the Sigma Outlet Store was for $559.

As discussed here in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/195883-refurbished-si...nses-sale.html

And Edgar does an excellent write-up of this lens here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/196246-sigma-5...es-thread.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/128533-sigma-...lots-pics.html

Run, don't walk, to buy this great zoom lens at an amazing price!

Attached Images

Last edited by seventysixersfan; 03-01-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Views: 39,240
03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #121

After all the testing for the past 2 days I was finally getting fed up and had almost penned the entire story down (as statedbelow) when I finally made up my mind to upgrade the firmware on the new K5. After that things started falling into place. I figured the lens was front focussing and after substantial testing had to dial a compensation of -10 to get it as close to the sharpness available using LV autofocus. Here is a picture taken during the the three evenings of breaking my head with this. Still to be tested in daylight. The Firmware update has been a lifesaver though.

Level of frustration before the Firmware update on K5

As mentioned before, I received my copy, the evening of the day before. So far I have only had time to test it in my hotel room in the evenings in Tungsten light. I have not had a chance to test it in daylight but I am not too hopeful.
Shooting Wide Open, the lens seems to be front focussing substantially or not sure if it is just soft. As I increase the F number, the focus is accurate and the images are farily sharp.
However, there have been instances where the focus at f2.8 was still fine.
So I am not sure if it is the lens or the new K5 I upgraded to from K200 about 15 days back. I am still on FW101 on the K5, so not sure of the tungsten light is playing the tricks.
I always shoot with user selectable auto focus point and all the below shots were taken using the center focus point.
So far I have not seen these issues with my 18-250mm lens but considering it is only 3.5 at 18mm end and just goes up from there, not sure if it is a good comparision. Although I think that at the long end, I do see soft images with the K5.
The other lens is the 35mm f2.4, but I haven't used it much so far on the new K5. I did seem to notice some softness in the images at f2.4 but did not look like focussing issues. I will certainly need to check if the K5 is at fault.
I will be more than happy if these are user issues but hopefully my pics on Flickr and Pentax Photo Gallery and my facebook page are testament to the fact that some of these might not be user issues.
Below are the pictures for your expert advise. SOS!
PS: I was able to use LiveView to focus (guess the lens has the updated formware?) and it hit spot even at f2.8 with no focussing issues.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your praise of this lens is killing me. Could I really sacrifice my DA70 for one of these weighty things?
Let's pretend that was rhetorical OK?
03-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #123

Photos: Gallery
Got mine today. Everything looks good except that it wouldn't focus in LV. I will have to send it back for firmware upgrade. Does anyone know how long it will take? Thanks!
03-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #124
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by radium22 Quote
I will have to send it back for firmware upgrade. Does anyone know how long it will take? Thanks!
I've had excellent experiences with the Sigma service center/headquarters in New York. If you send your body with your lens they make it a priority. I'd be surprised if the turn-around time was a more than a day or two.

There's also a service center in Arizona, and if you're in California then it would probably be faster and cheaper to send your lens there. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with that service center.

03-08-2013, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #125

Here are some photos with the new lens taken yesterday. All of the photos except the last one were shot handheld at f2.8. The last one was shot at f4. All of them are heavy crops close to 100%. From initial focus testing, I think the lens is slightly back focusing, but not by too much. I did not make any AF corrections yet in my K5. The only corrections on the photos are lens correction, some curves, bump in vibrancy/saturation and default Light Room sharpening. I noticed some minor PF on wide open shots of the geese, but that was easily corrected. The color was fine, but it did need a little boost for my taste. The AF was silent and very fast and accurate most of the time.
So far, I am pleased with the IQ and AF of the lens. I've even considered not sending it back for the firmware update, but I know that I really need to!

I hope to see more impressions and photos from everyone else who got in on the deal!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo         
03-08-2013, 09:55 AM   #126

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've had excellent experiences with the Sigma service center/headquarters in New York. If you send your body with your lens they make it a priority. I'd be surprised if the turn-around time was a more than a day or two.

There's also a service center in Arizona, and if you're in California then it would probably be faster and cheaper to send your lens there. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with that service center.
Thanks! So if sending just the lens, it will probably take much longer?

I attached a shot at 150mm f/2.8. Focusing looks okay? I was focusing on the row which didn't quite align with others.
Attached Images

03-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #127
Pentaxian

I really don't expect this lens to sharp wide open, how about stopping down at F4? Can someone show there examples from both short to long end, thanks.

03-08-2013, 12:43 PM   #128
Veteran Member

Looks like mine arrived as well. I don't want to trouble my brother to send it in to sigma to update the firmware.... i wonder if they would do it in canada...
03-08-2013, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Douge Quote
i wonder if they would do it in canada...
I contacted Sigma Canada about two years ago concerning a similar issue (erratic AF in LV) with my 70-200 HSM II. I didn't need to go into much detail over the telephone before the Sigma rep said the likely problem is the lens firmware - no problem to send it in and they would take care of it promptly. I opted to keep the lens as is, because I didn't think I'd use LV with this lens.

I got a very good impression of Sigma Canada's customer attention.
03-08-2013, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #130
Veteran Member

It appears that Sigma that Sigma has a policy of free firmware updates, regardless of warranty status. This is from Sigma US's service & support page:

Courtesy Updating
In today's day and age of ever-changing technology, Sigma will offer discretionary updates to the original purchaser of the equipment at no charge. These updates are done as a courtesy and are not considered warranty repairs.

I can't say if that also hold true for Canada, but based on c.a.m.'s experience, it sounds like the policy is the same.
03-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #131
Veteran Member

Nice! Thanks c.a.m and Edgar
03-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #132
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
It appears that Sigma that Sigma has a policy of free firmware updates, regardless of warranty status. This is from Sigma US's service & support page:
Courtesy Updating
In today's day and age of ever-changing technology, Sigma will offer discretionary updates to the original purchaser of the equipment at no charge. These updates are done as a courtesy and are not considered warranty repairs.
I can't say if that also hold true for Canada, but based on c.a.m.'s experience, it sounds like the policy is the same.
Yeah! but it seems that you have to be the original purchaser... I wonder if they apply this policy to the letter?
I have a couple of Sigma lens... (120-400 and macro 180mm)
I might inquire on the Canadian side...
03-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #133
Veteran Member

I got mine on Tuesday and finally had a chance to run through a couple of test shots this morning. I'm very pleased with the sharpness in test shots...focus seems spots on and I can't wait to use it for some 'real' photos. Unfortunately mine has the live focus issue on the K30...not sure if I'll send it in for a firmware update just for that since I really don't use live focus much unless it's just snapshots...and this isn't exactly a snapshot lens. I wanted a fast lens in this range for portraits and also shooting basketball indoors, none of which I can see myself utilizing live focus.

Thanks again to the OP for sharing the deal...
03-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Yeah! but it seems that you have to be the original purchaser... I wonder if they apply this policy to the letter?
I have a couple of Sigma lens... (120-400 and macro 180mm)
I might inquire on the Canadian side...
From what I've heard and from my own experience, Sigma doesn't really care if you're the original owner. If it's a warranty issue, then they only worry about whether it's still under the warranty period. I mean, if somebody bought the lens as a gift for you, it would not be reasonable for Sigma to not honor the warranty just because you weren't the actual person who bought it. I've sent in a lens for warranty work, along with a receipt with someone else's name on it, and they didn't say anything.
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have contacted the Sigma customer service and they had asked me to send the body in as well. Will be sending it very soon.