Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Google is offering all of Nik software for $150 total
Posted By: ploetzlich, 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Amazing deal.

Nik Collection

Edit: Using the coupon code 'DZISER' brings it down to $126.65.

Last edited by ploetzlich; 03-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Views: 11,195
03-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

All I can say is that we have both suites, and they're both great, but if we had to give one up, it would be Topaz without a doubt. Can't live without the Nik stuff, particularly Viveza and Silver Efex...

03-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reivax Quote
Is there any reason to get this if you already own the Topaz Suite? I'm sure some Nik software does a better job than some Topaz software (and vice-versa), but is there anything that really makes it worth it?
Well, it's a matter of taste. I tried both and found Nik's results more appealing, but that's just an opinion. What I do love about Nik is their "control points". They really give you a lot more control over what you are doing than anything I noticed when working with Topaz.
03-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I just did purchse it. I already have some of the Topaz filters. But I like to have more options, to get the creativity flowing
03-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

and is it me, or you not need to fill in an license key?

03-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have both and I couldn't choose honestly. They're similar in some respects but they both have things that they do that I like. I'm thrilled actually to have the complete Nik suite. I had a couple of their older plugs but not the whole thing. Nik sent me an email offering me a free upgrade and I just installed it. Works fine in both CS6 and CS2 though I had to transfer the Google plug folder into the CS2 plug folder to make that happen. The Nik installer didn't see CS2 and I couldn't get it to for some reason. Talk about your major graphics freebies. First Adobe gives away the whole CS2 suite and now Google gives me full Nik, free of charge? Wow, not bad. I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of happy graphics students out there actually using legit graphics software for once, lol.

It's kind of sucky if you actually paid full retail for these suites though I guess. I actually got my Nik plugs during a promotion they ran. I got the B&W plugs for free. I got the upgrade just now based on having those. So I'm not out $500 for all this. I also have a legit copy of CS6, but having a somewhat legit CS2 to run on my laptop, as backup on my PC, and on any older machines I might have is pretty cool too. In fact I like it better than my CS6 in some ways as it tends to play nicer with my older plugs and definitely loads a whole lot faster besides.

If you have a Nik plug you should be getting an email soon I would think. There's a link to dl in it.
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
and is it me, or you not need to fill in an license key?
Seems you don't indeed.

Thank to the OP for the coupon.
03-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like lightroom does it all except what's covered by viveza and silver fx. Does anyone use the other plugins alot?
03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
hope this isn't a "fire sale" though.
It probably is. Expect all these products to go the way of Google Reader soon.

03-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That's wat I suspect too and if it does it really is annoying that the development of some very good software products is discontinued.
03-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
is annoying that the development of some very good software products is discontinued
Google will probably dump all the Nik PC/Mac software, and you'll then see some of the Nik features turn up in some dumb Google Android app in future. Mobile is all Google seems to be interested in nowadays
03-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Google will probably dump all the Nik PC/Mac software, and you'll then see some of the Nik features turn up in some dumb Google Android app in future. Mobile is all Google seems to be interested in nowadays
I tend to agree with this. Everything Google is involved in anymore is geared toward mobile. But, a snipit found from a Google announcement:

QuoteQuote:
“We definitely plan to continue developing and evolving the software. This is our first release and by bringing this under the Google brand, we hope to show our commitment not only to Nik users, but to the photography community at large.”
I am so on the fence about this. I recently purchased Lightroom with part of the reason to be able to use some of the great plugins available. I guess even if this bundle isn't supported in the future, they will still work. On the other hand, some of the great tutorial videos from NIK were made as recently as last month, so that shows me that it might be moving forward anyway.
03-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
mee
Site Supporter

They've already stated they are not killing the products.. I doubt they will get as many updates as in the past (since priority #1 seems to be mobile snapseed) but it seems they will be allowing Nik devs to continue working on these..
03-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #28
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Thanks for the tips, both the sale and the coupon code! I have read lots of good of the Nik software over the time. However, I'm still not sure if would be useful in my use. What plugins do you current users find most useful?
They're all super useful. And, now, come as a bundle only.

That said, to perhaps answer your question more directly.. I like Viveza and the Sharpener a lot. And Dfine is pretty nice too.. you can choose different levels of noise reduction in an image based off of color (which you click on anywhere in the photo).
03-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
Den
Veteran Member

Because I already had Vivesa2, I got the email for the free download of all six. At first the download would not work, but I contacted Google, they called me back within 15 seconds!!! and gave me a link that worked. Got them all now and they all work and for free!!! Wow Christmas in March!!!!!
03-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #30

Thanks for the post and coupon. After watching the introduction video, I just could not resist and bought it.