Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Google is offering all of Nik software for $150 total
Posted By: ploetzlich, 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Amazing deal.

Nik Collection

Edit: Using the coupon code 'DZISER' brings it down to $126.65.

Last edited by ploetzlich; 03-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Views: 11,457
03-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Im a bit surprised about this whole affair. I received no email, just a link on a website. The software did not need a serial or activation. Might keep a wary eye on my card.
I found my "confirmation email" in my spam folder (gmail) so check in yours. It has your invoice and download links. I made a NIK S/W folder in gmail and saved there to have the links etc. They are not issuing license keys so none in email. I also saved the downloaded setup file to an eternal drive and DVD. No NIK Plugins before I purchased the collection and the installer worked well. Auto installed plugins in LR4 and PS Elements 11. (Win 7 Pro 64 bit)

Should show on your credit card as "NIK BY Google INC."

03-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I suspect this is being done to put companies like Topaz out of business. The product will then go dormant with little if any advancement with the exception of it being ported for use with a few google and android products. That may explain why they have done little if anything to manage licenses and lock down the software.
Well, Nik's signature "control points" type technology is being stolen by Lightroom, etc, so they are in danger themselves as well.
03-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does seem quite strange that Google is putting time/effort/money into a desktop application. Makes me also wonder if this is a start of them taking a run at Adobe........
03-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Late seeing this thread, and not sure If I'm reading this right. I have LR3, but none of the Nik plugins - I was contemplating Topaz2. One of the early posts stated that if you had LR, you could get the NIK package for free. Can that be possible? I can't tell from the NIK home page. Would be nice if true, but I can't see how.

03-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Late seeing this thread, and not sure If I'm reading this right. I have LR3, but none of the Nik plugins - I was contemplating Topaz2. One of the early posts stated that if you had LR, you could get the NIK package for free. Can that be possible? I can't tell from the NIK home page. Would be nice if true, but I can't see how.
You only get the NIK set free if you bought any of the NIK software in the past 5 years. If you had, Google sends you an email with the free download link. Otherwise, you have to pay the $149 less 15% code which is what I did.
03-27-2013, 06:14 PM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
I suspect this is being done to put companies like Topaz out of business. The product will then go dormant with little if any advancement with the exception of it being ported for use with a few google and android products. That may explain why they have done little if anything to manage licenses and lock down the software.
I had thoughts along the same lines - Google has probably no interest in developing and maintaining plugins for Adobe applications, rather they bought the company for their IP which they will use to improve existing photo editing software such as Picasa and for new image related software. i.e. we wont see any new versions of Nik plugins for Lightroom or Photoshop, this is basically a firesale to appease Nik customers.

With the lack of serial numbers or activation, they might as well have given away the plugins for free, the reason they didn't do that is probably, again not to upset existing customers that might have paid 150 bucks for just one of the plugins. So they made it "fair" by saying, if you've already spent 150 odd on one of the plugins, the rest of the plugins are free, if you didn't pay the entry fee by already buying one of the plugins, then you can join the "free giveaway" club by paying that amount.

The software will possibly be only available to download for a few months, so best to archive a copy of the install exe itself rather than the email.
03-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #67
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote

I'm afraid you have misread.. it stated if you owned any of the listed Nik plugins for Photoshop, Lightroom, or Aperture.

If you owned any of them, you should have received an email with the link to download the whole suite for free on the email account you have registered with Nik (now Google).

Btw I suspect that if you did have an account with Nik software before September 2012 and did NOT allow them to transfer it to Google, that you would NOT have recieved the email with the free collection download. At which point I figure your only option is to contact Google and hope they slide you in.

Last edited by mee; 03-27-2013 at 08:18 PM.
03-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #68
mee
Pentaxian

I had thoughts along the same lines - Google has probably no interest in developing and maintaining plugins for Adobe applications, rather they bought the company for their IP which they will use to improve existing photo editing software such as Picasa and for new image related software. i.e. we wont see any new versions of Nik plugins for Lightroom or Photoshop, this is basically a firesale to appease Nik customers.

With the lack of serial numbers or activation, they might as well have given away the plugins for free, the reason they didn't do that is probably, again not to upset existing customers that might have paid 150 bucks for just one of the plugins. So they made it "fair" by saying, if you've already spent 150 odd on one of the plugins, the rest of the plugins are free, if you didn't pay the entry fee by already buying one of the plugins, then you can join the "free giveaway" club by paying that amount.

The software will possibly be only available to download for a few months, so best to archive a copy of the install exe itself rather than the email.
I wonder if they are watermarked and any images processed with their software somehow watermarked too?

I find it odd too that they officially removed all serial numbers from the suite. And there doesn't appear to be a way to automatically retrieve the software off of their site.

Nik/Google's official response is we are still developing these (as mentioned in the quotes in this thread). But it does make one think. In any case they will be worth 150 dollars for years to come in their current form. I got the collection for free but was willing to spend the money to buy them before I noticed the comp download link in my inbox.

03-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I wonder if they are watermarked and any images processed with their software somehow watermarked too?

I find it odd too that they officially removed all serial numbers from the suite. And there doesn't appear to be a way to automatically retrieve the software off of their site.

Nik/Google's official response is we are still developing these (as mentioned in the quotes in this thread). But it does make one think. In any case they will be worth 150 dollars for years to come in their current form. I got the collection for free but was willing to spend the money to buy them before I noticed the comp download link in my inbox.
The licensing system they used before was a huge PITA (and run by a third-party licensing company), so I'm sure Google wanted to do away with that...
03-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #70
mee
Pentaxian

It was just a Serial Key that you submitted on install IIRC... it wasn't that difficult to register..
03-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #71
Veteran Member

Google bought them, and there isn't even an option to use Google Checkout? Paypal, but no google checkout?

Thanks for the tip. I bought it. I have Dx0 and Filmpack3, but I've always wanted SilverFX Pro.
03-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
It was just a Serial Key that you submitted on install IIRC... it wasn't that difficult to register..
Unless it goes wrong -- they switched systems from Viveza 1 to Viveza 2 -- it took us MONTHS to get Viveza 2 to work on one machine. I spent hours on the phone with a Nik guy several times -- learned all about the system, the company they were working with, etc etc. (There is a service installed on your machine from that third-party that checks the licenses.)
03-28-2013, 12:14 AM   #73
Veteran Member

When I got the link I went to it and I was able to dl the installer directly to my HD so I have it for later reinstall if I need to. I put it in the same folder as my Nik Silver plugs which I had not burned to disk as yet. You should be able to do that. Just download them and save them.
03-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I downloaded the installer today and installed on my Win7 desktop. No problems - easy as. Then I put the installer on a USB memory stick and installed NIK on my Win7 laptop.
All is good. Very happy with a nice bargain. My thanks to the OP.

No serial numbers were used or needed.

Last edited by rayallen; 03-28-2013 at 01:25 AM.
03-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #75
Pentaxian

I think you are right on the money here, selar! Google doesn't need to make money with Nik plugins (good lord, they make enough elsewhere), but bought the company for the technology. This "free giveaway club" is probably just as you describe it, from the perspective of the product management for Nik, who are probably still the original folks. They need to get as many installed users as possible (paying or no) for the desktop plugins to justify their continued development, as opposed to just putting them into deep freeze and working on the Android tech.

This is all just conjecture, but is based on my recent experience working for Autodesk as part of an acquisition and transition team. The decisions being made would be impossible to imagine for the small private company we just bought, but are no problem for a giant, public company.