Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Google is offering all of Nik software for $150 total
Posted By: ploetzlich, 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Amazing deal.

Nik Collection

Edit: Using the coupon code 'DZISER' brings it down to $126.65.

Last edited by ploetzlich; 03-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Views: 14,612
03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DanWeso Quote
Thanks for the post and coupon. After watching the introduction video, I just could not resist and bought it.
Yeah, that video put me over the edge also. Just from watching that I feel confident to dive right in and get started. In that video he mentioned their youtube channel that NIK produces with more tutorials. I've bookmarked it - lots of studying to do!

NikSoftwareLessons - YouTube

For me this was an important part of my decision to buy.

03-25-2013, 07:25 PM   #32
Veteran Member

I just purchased it. I seriously doubt that I need it (I don't really need all the lenses I have either, but they're really nice to have). I remember really wanting the software back before I got the Topaz software suite. I doubt that I'll use it for anything other than Silver Efex Pro 2. If I remember correctly, Silver Efex Pro 2 was more thank 150 on its own, so that really makes everything else a nice bonus. I only played around with the Nik software for a few minutes, but I'm pretty sure I'll use the Topaz software more often. Thanks for posting this deal and the coupon. I think the coupon is what helped me pull the trigger on the deal.
03-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #33
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The folks over at DPReview spoke to Google’s Product Manager Josh Haftel, who is quoted as having said, “We definitely plan to continue developing and evolving the software. This is our first release and by bringing this under the Google brand, we hope to show our commitment not only to Nik users, but to the photography community at large.” He also stated that the Nik Collection’s only difference over the previous versions is the Google brand and one-to-control-them-all installer.
from: Google drops Nik plugin collection to $149 - SlashGear
03-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #34

Thanks for posting the coupon code. Any idea if and when the code expires?

03-26-2013, 04:40 AM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveo Quote
Thanks for posting the coupon code. Any idea if and when the code expires?
It worked for me tonight.

It's rather annoying that the ordering software won't allow any other location apart from US states and Canadian provinces. The phone number field won't accept Australian phone nos. (ours are 10 digits, and I wanted to add the +61 for the country code. I trimmed it and left off the + so the country code/area code looked like US area code 612)

Why annoying?

Because they are required fields and this is a form written for an international market by (for?) a large software company. I've found the same a number of times when ordering from the USA. One has to fake an address and zipcode because the form designers aren't aware of any other country in the world.

I used the Canadian Northern Territories (NT) for my state which is the same abbreviation as for the Australian Northern Territory. I could have used WA which is also the same as an Aussie state (Western Australia) but I would then have been slugged Washington state taxes. I didn't get any with the NT code.

I did expect the purchase to be rejected on a credit card billing address check.

Late edit: I can't see HDR Efex Pro 2 in the installed plug-ins. I note that the FAQ says HDR isn't supported in PS Elements.

Last edited by p38arover; 03-26-2013 at 05:05 AM.
03-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #36
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep. I'm in too. Got it even though I already have the Topaz Suite. Will be test driving it and comparing my results soon.
03-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Late edit: I can't see HDR Efex Pro 2 in the installed plug-ins. I note that the FAQ says HDR isn't supported in PS Elements.
I realize that it says HDR Efex Pro 2 isn't supported in Elements, but for those looking for it in Lightroom, it is not within the "Edit In" dialog either. After viewing the Introduction video, I found that HDR 2 is found in the export dialog - the reason being that you would be exporting a number of bracketed images into HDR 2 to work on.

Might be worth taking a look in Elements? Select a few images and go to export them and maybe it is there?

03-26-2013, 06:21 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Yep, found it (and tried it) in LR4 but not found in PSE9

I'm running Win 7 Pro 64-bit.
03-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #39
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Like Von Baloney and others, I couldn't do without it. To the naysayers out there, I can't think of much that I would see necessary today in an upgrade. Everything I need as a non-pro is there, a workflow which combines Aperture & NIK with occasional dips into PS Elements and my aged PS. OK - Goggle aims at the mobile market in the future and doesn't spend too many pennies in R&D on NIK in the future. So what. I've got software that just works and new bells or whistles won't change much for me.
If you have $150.00, get it. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
03-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #40
mee
Veteran Member

It is a personal choice between the two.

I have a couple of the Topaz products too. I think the Nik Collection is head and shoulders above them. The interface and the algorithms seem muuuch better.

Even if you have the Topaz Suite you may want to give them a 15 day trial just to see if you are missing anything.
03-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #41

I ordered it this morning and the discount code still worked. Can't wait to use it!
03-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

If they introduce integration with Picasa, they could be onto a winner.
03-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #43
Veteran Member

Thank you to the OP for posting this. I went out and bought it last night. What convinced me also is the video instruction tapes.

I tried Nik software 2 or 3 years ago, and at the time, i was more impressed with Topaz products, so went in that direction. Topaz has resulted in some good pieces for me that i've sold several times, but the instruction video seemed to show that Nik can be used to produce similar effects with perhaps more ease. Pretty good opportunity that i can't afford to miss out on.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed that Google continues to support this product, it seems to be really good.
03-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I was able to enter an Australian address and phone number.
03-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #45
mee
Veteran Member

If we lose the email with the download link, how do we download it? There is no more serial codes involved and I don't see a user account option on their page anymore...