Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Google is offering all of Nik software for $150 total
Posted By: ploetzlich, 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Amazing deal.

Nik Collection

Edit: Using the coupon code 'DZISER' brings it down to $126.65.

Last edited by ploetzlich; 03-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Views: 14,652
03-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
@ stormtech & mee:

Thanks for the quick replies, and I thought this would be the case. I almost bought SEP a couple of months ago. Several members of my camera club swear by NIK products, but I never got around to buying it. I'll probably get the package now.

03-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
@ stormtech & mee:

Thanks for the quick replies, and I thought this would be the case. I almost bought SEP a couple of months ago. Several members of my camera club swear by NIK products, but I never got around to buying it. I'll probably get the package now.
As my post processing work evolves and improves, I've done a lot of the trials of different software. I've been an Acdsee Pro user for quite a while, but just bought Lightroom 4. One of the reason for the change is the extensive support (tutorial videos etc) and the ability to use plugins. I've always heard nothing but great reviews about NIK products, but were too expensive for me at this point as I didn't know how much use I would get out of them. When I saw this special on the NIK software, I jumped on it since part of my plan is to start experimenting with plugins. I've had a play with them for a couple days now - nothing serious just seeing how they work - and am very happy.

The one thing that helped put me over the edge is watching the NIK introduction video (that I linked to in post #12 in this thread) - well worth the time (1 hour) to watch to see what this bundle can do.
03-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #78
Veteran Member

That CS2 giveaway thing is still active, I checked. Just google Adobe gives away CS2 it comes right up the page with all the links. They're not supporting it and while technically it's a convenience for people who supposedly bought it those links being on the site I don't think they really care who has it or uses it now. It's been all over the net via blogs for a while now. Tons of people have dl it and it's still there. I think they've just decided whatever. It's basically freeware with a polite disclaimer to cover their arses I think. If you make sure the Nik plugs go into the plug in folder it works just fine. If you don't have any Photoshop or only have Elements CS2 is a heck of an upgrade. I'd grab it and install the Nik into it. You get a good version of Camera Raw and Bridge with it plus a lot of other applications too. That plus Nik? Major upgrade to the workflow....
03-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got the free upgrade, refunding my purchase

For those eligible, you have 2 options, by phone or e-mail...
  1. Customer Support phone: 619.725.3150 - follow the prompts. They're staffed from 8:30-4:30, PST.
  2. Go to this webpage and fill it out: Nik Collection - Support

NOTE: today was the first day I got through on the phone. You may wish to try the web form, since I received a verification e-mail within 5-10 minutes of submitting it. I received my download link to the free Nik Collection upgrade today - approximately 48 hrs. The web page form is probably the easiest contact method. There is no longer a serial number requirement, since I wasn't prompted to activate anything after installing it. It's working as is... others have mentioned this.

I did get on the phone today to speak about a refund on the purchase. It took a bit of time, and I had to be transferred over to another, internal department. Both reps confirmed they've been inundated, so please be patient. I received my RMA confirmation for my purchase order of $149 ($126.65 with coupon), and it will post within 2 weeks. Again, they're swamped right now - Zach indicated that anyone and everyone is calling, so you can only imagine. My call finished in 22 minutes, but I was also involved with a refund (RMA).

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by Marc Langille; 03-29-2013 at 03:05 PM.
03-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marc, which purchase are you getting refunded? Is it a prior purchase or the purchase of the $149 bundle?
03-29-2013, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I will get a refund on the $149 bundle (actually $126.65 with the coupon).

Just edited my original post - thanks for asking that - good thing to clarify!
03-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Was there an announcement that they would be giving refunds for the bundle to those that purchased it because there was not registration? Since they are still charging $149 (without a coupon code) I guess I am wondering why they are issuing refunds or why they are still charging.

Rereading your first post it says you got your download link to the free upgrade which implies that you had already purchased one of the products in the past, correct? If so then I would assume you purchased the bundle before you knew you had earned the collection by being a previous purchaser and were therefore entitled to a refund. If that is the case then this only really applies to those that had previously purchased a Nik product and then purchased the bundle because they did not get/see the email with the free download link, correct?

Last edited by colonel00; 03-29-2013 at 03:42 PM.
03-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #83
Pentaxian

i dont know anything about Nik software but that price is so good, i just ordered!!
03-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Colonel00: correct on not receiving an e-mail, despite my being eligible, but my registration may have been lost in the transfer over to Google last year. I even received the notification of the transfer on nov. 1st, 2012 and did not opt out. So no announcement on a refund, simply my own initiative. I checked their policies on refunds before buying the Nik Collection. You have 30 days from the purchase date.

After seeing that option, perhaps I was truly eligible for the upgrade, owning a retail boxed copy with product key. That's when I decided to make the inquiry via the form. Turns out they readily understood and immediately processed my RMA request for a refund.

Last edited by Marc Langille; 03-29-2013 at 03:58 PM.
03-29-2013, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i dont know anything about Nik software but that price is so good, i just ordered!!
From seeing the type of work you do Mike, I think the NIK package will suit you well. I've only dabbled with it so far, but really impressed. Make sure you watch the intro video I posted earlier in this thread - will give you a good feel for what it can do and how to get you feet wet with it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Colonel00: correct on not receiving an e-mail, despite my being eligible, but my registration may have been lost in the transfer over to Google last year. I even received the notification of the transfer on nov. 1st, 2012 and did not opt out. So no announcement on a refund, simply my own initiative. I checked their policies on refunds before buying the Nik Collection. You have 30 days from the purchase date.

After seeing that option, perhaps I was truly eligible for the upgrade, owning a retail boxed copy with product key. That's when I decided to make the inquiry via the form. Turns out they readily understood and immediately processed my RMA request for a refund.
Marc - I saw on another forum where a lot of people found their email from NIK in their spam folder - even those with gmail accounts. Funny - email from Google goes into the gmail spam folder.....
03-29-2013, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
From seeing the type of work you do Mike, I think the NIK package will suit you well. I've only dabbled with it so far, but really impressed. Make sure you watch the intro video I posted earlier in this thread - will give you a good feel for what it can do and how to get you feet wet with it.

Marc - I saw on another forum where a lot of people found their email from NIK in their spam folder - even those with gmail accounts. Funny - email from Google goes into the gmail spam folder.....

Agreed about Mike's liking the plugins!

Stan, I wish that was the case - checked everything in any related account before contacting them on Wednesday via the web form. I give them kudos for making it a relatively painless procedure to follow and make good on a refund/free upgrade.
03-29-2013, 07:37 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Anyone else having any issues using the plugins in Lightroom 4? To use the HDR plugin, I know you have to "export to" it, but I can't seem to get any of the other plugins to load without first going into Photoshop. I don't even get an option to use the Nik plugins when I go to "edit in". I'm hoping the Nik plugins work as easily as the Topaz plugins.

No issues using the Nik software in Ps.
03-29-2013, 08:31 PM   #88
mee
Veteran Member

No issues here in LR with any of them.. must be your setup. Make sure LR is pointing to the LR versions of the plugins and not the PS versions of the plugins.
03-29-2013, 08:48 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I ran the Nik Collection installer, it recognized all instances where the plugin can be used on my computer: Photoshop, LR and Bridge. Would that be a possible problem?

Last edited by Marc Langille; 03-29-2013 at 09:31 PM. Reason: typo
03-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
No issues here in LR with any of them.. must be your setup. Make sure LR is pointing to the LR versions of the plugins and not the PS versions of the plugins.
That might be my issue. Any tutorial on how to make sure that is happening? Thanks.