Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 20 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  
Google is offering all of Nik software for $150 total
Posted By: ploetzlich, 03-25-2013, 08:40 AM

Amazing deal.

Nik Collection

Edit: Using the coupon code 'DZISER' brings it down to $126.65.

Last edited by ploetzlich; 03-25-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Views: 14,668
03-29-2013, 09:31 PM   #91
Veteran Member

After some digging around, it seems like it's an issue with storing my presets with the preset catalog in Lightroom. Apparently, if you want the nik plug-ins to show up, along with any user created presets, you can't (or at least I haven't found a way to). For anyone that is having the same issue, here's the faq for it:

Plug-ins do not appear in Lightroom after installing - Nik Collection Help

Feel kind of cheated that I have to choose between the plug-ins and my presets. This seems like great software, I hope this issue is resolved soon.

03-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i dont know anything about Nik software but that price is so good, i just ordered!!

I have found Viveza 2 a very useful addition to LightRoom.
03-30-2013, 03:06 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
TBH, I had no idea what Nik plugins were till I saw this post. After trying one of the plugins out on the image below, I think this is going to be Google's answer to instagram.

03-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #94
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nik and Topaz plugins are in a completely different league to Instagram.

03-30-2013, 03:04 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Finally decided last night to order the package. The video posted by stormtec was really interesting. I think I'm going to like this package.
04-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
As my post processing work evolves and improves, I've done a lot of the trials of different software. I've been an Acdsee Pro user for quite a while, but just bought Lightroom 4. One of the reason for the change is the extensive support (tutorial videos etc) and the ability to use plugins. I've always heard nothing but great reviews about NIK products, but were too expensive for me at this point as I didn't know how much use I would get out of them. When I saw this special on the NIK software, I jumped on it since part of my plan is to start experimenting with plugins. I've had a play with them for a couple days now - nothing serious just seeing how they work - and am very happy.

The one thing that helped put me over the edge is watching the NIK introduction video (that I linked to in post #12 in this thread) - well worth the time (1 hour) to watch to see what this bundle can do.
I just viewed that video, and NIK looks awesome! But I wonder, being a newbie and all, doesn't it render Lightroom 4 [which I just bought :-(] redundant? I would like to know how or which Lightroom adjustments you use before using Nik?

Thanks
04-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #97
Pentaxian

Lightroom has huge value as a cataloging and organization tool. No plug-in makes that redundant. That said, much of the Nik stuff is superior or equal to the LR stuff, and it is way easier to use. (Which is why Adobe is copying their Nik's awesome control point technology.)

04-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #98
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
LR4 is a great cataloging and editing program. The value of NIK plugins for me is the control point function, which allows more selective adjustments. NIK has HDR, which LR4 does not. Viveza 2 is my most used NIK app.
04-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #99
Veteran Member

I was going to recommend that you all download Nik's free package of presets (they call them "recipes") for Color Efex Pro. Unfortunately, I can't find them on the new Nik website now. Those presets are awesome. If anyone finds them, you might post here. They are not all to my taste, but I use several of them a lot.
04-04-2013, 07:15 AM - 1 Like   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I was going to recommend that you all download Nik's free package of presets (they call them "recipes") for Color Efex Pro. Unfortunately, I can't find them on the new Nik website now. Those presets are awesome. If anyone finds them, you might post here. They are not all to my taste, but I use several of them a lot.
Here ya go:

Go about halfway down the page to 'download all 90'

http://web.archive.org/web/20120211074716/http://www.niksoftware.com/addons/index.php

You can open them with a text editor like Notepad to see which plugin they work with.
04-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Nik and Topaz plugins are in a completely different league to Instagram.
NIk and Topaz are what Instagram thinks it's attempting to do, but no, not even close, lol. I tend to think of them as being a digital replacement for my Cokin filters a lot. But it's a fact that they can do a lot more particularly if you start to really pay attention to each individual plug and the settings you can change.
04-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Here ya go:

Go about halfway down the page to 'download all 90'

http://web.archive.org/web/20120211074716/http://www.niksoftware.com/addons/index.php

You can open them with a text editor like Notepad to see which plugin they work with.
Your search skillz exceed mine! Well done and thanks!
04-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Your search skillz exceed mine! Well done and thanks!
Thanks, also search "NIKsoftwarelessons" on YouTube, their channel.
04-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I just viewed that video, and NIK looks awesome! But I wonder, being a newbie and all, doesn't it render Lightroom 4 [which I just bought :-(] redundant? I would like to know how or which Lightroom adjustments you use before using Nik?
Thanks
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Lightroom has huge value as a cataloging and organization tool. No plug-in makes that redundant. That said, much of the Nik stuff is superior or equal to the LR stuff, and it is way easier to use. (Which is why Adobe is copying their Nik's awesome control point technology.)
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
LR4 is a great cataloging and editing program. The value of NIK plugins for me is the control point function, which allows more selective adjustments. NIK has HDR, which LR4 does not. Viveza 2 is my most used NIK app.
I'm seriously not trying to start any arguements, but just trying to understand the trade-offs between different software.

My perception, right or wrong, is that Nik offers some useful shortcuts in getting to an interesting/attractive image. While Lightroom offers a more manual and comprehensive approach (especially when linked with Photoshop). Nik's point technology seems an awful lot like LR's Adjustment Brush. Sure, in Ver 4, the number of adjustments one could make in that brush have been largely expanded from Ver 3 LR - perhaps in response to Nik's software. One thing for sure, when software brands compete, the customers generally win.

I have to admit enjoying playing with Silver Efex Pro and Color Efex Pro, not sure about what Viveza offers that the former 2 don't, perhaps someone can enlighten me as to what advantages Viveza offers.

I also have the Topaz versions of Nik's plugins and have successfully used it for several pictures that have sold well. LR, Topaz and Nik ALL have localized toning capabilities. The ones in LR and Topaz can be dragged like brushes while the Nik one can't. Yet the Nik implementation of localized toning seems attractive to me and i can't precisely explain why (Maybe the breakthru concept is to consider points in the picture rather than the dragging more linear process)

A few posts down, some members speculated that Google bought Nik to use their technology on their android smartphones and perhaps tablets. That sounds reasonable to me since it does seem to allow quicker results than other software i have mentioned.

What matters with any software, IMO is whether one gets an end result that they are happy with.
04-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #105
Veteran Member

I use GIMP and have a plug-in that usually lets me use Photoshop plug-ins. Anyone think it will work? If so, anyone know how? I downloaded the 15 day trial, but can't find any difference in GIMP so far.