Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
OnOne Software deal for Nik owners!
Posted By: zdwagner, 04-07-2013, 09:19 AM

For a limited time, you can get Perfect Photosuite 7 Premium edition for $149 if you own the Nik collection:

Upgrade to Perfect Photo Suite 7 Today! - onOne Software
Views: 1,256
04-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, they're not feeling the competition from Google or nothing...

Actually, I see very little overlap between the two product suites as far as competition... maybe the "Perfect B&W" and "Silver Efex," but that's about it. Could be a good "accessory" set of plugins, but I don't know since I've only ever used "Perfect Resize" (formerly Genuine Fractals).

Methinks it's Topaz that should be a little more concerned by the drop in Nik's prices...
04-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Original Poster
Well, after messing around with the OnOne software for the last hour or so, and Nik for the last two weeks, and Topaz for the last two years, I can staunchly say that they all have their good and bad points. But, hands down, the best detail enhancement is found in Topaz. No question, and the other two can't even come CLOSE to competing on this front, and it's a big front. Other than that, the vignette is weak in OnOne (pretty much the same as Lightroom), better in Nik, and best in Topaz. Nik and OnOne have similar HDR-creation looks, while Topaz has a unique look all its own.

I'd say they all have their merits; I'm certainly not going to use everyone's products, but there are a couple from OnOne that I like, a couple from Topaz that I like, and really just one from Nik that I like. But hey, for these prices you can almost have Nik and OnOne for the same price as Topaz suite by itself (of course you get more in Topaz suite).
04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really? I have used all three for several years, and frankly I think the Topaz suite is easily the weakest of the three. Totally overbaked and horridly gaudy effects (especially their HDR package, which is responsible for the majority of the absolutely grotesque HDR you see out on the web), poorly thought-out interface, and consistently inaccurate previews of the finished effects. I'm also not a fan of their denoiser, which still doesn't do nearly as good a job as versions of Noise Ninja from 5 years ago. Detail is probably the only product of theirs that I consider worth using, and honestly, it is at best equal in quality to Nik's Sharpener Pro.

Of the three, my favorite to use from an interface standpoint is Nik, and it isn't even close Some of the pieces in the OnOne package are great too, particularly ReSize (formerly Genuine Fractals), which is absolutely indispensible for blowups - unfortunately, however, the interface on many of their products is a little dumbed-down for my taste. I am also a big fan of the Alien Skin suite, which is right up there with Nik in my opinion and offers some great unique plugins. Exposure is absolutely the best package out there for getting realistic film looks.

QuoteOriginally posted by zdwagner Quote
Well, after messing around with the OnOne software for the last hour or so, and Nik for the last two weeks, and Topaz for the last two years, I can staunchly say that they all have their good and bad points. But, hands down, the best detail enhancement is found in Topaz. No question, and the other two can't even come CLOSE to competing on this front, and it's a big front. Other than that, the vignette is weak in OnOne (pretty much the same as Lightroom), better in Nik, and best in Topaz. Nik and OnOne have similar HDR-creation looks, while Topaz has a unique look all its own.

I'd say they all have their merits; I'm certainly not going to use everyone's products, but there are a couple from OnOne that I like, a couple from Topaz that I like, and really just one from Nik that I like. But hey, for these prices you can almost have Nik and OnOne for the same price as Topaz suite by itself (of course you get more in Topaz suite).

04-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Well, I would agree that Nik's interface, specifically let's compare Color Efex and Topaz Adjust, is certainly quicker to use and get a pleasing result. It takes more time to produce a similar result from Adjust. I will agree that it does seem you can achieve a more 'realistic' looking faux HDR image from Nik, yes the presets in Topaz in relation to HDR are ridiculous. But since I never use the presets, it doesn't really bother me.
But I think there are some key differences and places where Topaz outshines Nik (at least, haven't messed with OnOne enough yet), though not having a whole lot of time with the latter, perhaps I'm wrong about these. One is the local adjustment brush for detail and selective color. The point interface on Nik, while fine and perhaps faster, doesn't compare to the manual brush process available in Topaz. If there's a brush tool for the items above in Nik, I apologize and have yet to try it.

The vignette feature is simply not as good as Topaz. They feather differently, and I prefer the more localized look I can get from the Topaz vignette (it works incredibly well in B&W Effects). There are things you can do with the Topaz vignette that simply are not possible with Nik, and that are miles beyond anything you can do with Lightroom.

Again, I personally think the detail enhancement in Topaz is much better and more localized than what you get from Nik (within say Adjust vs Color Efex). I have not had a chance to mess with the sharpening plugins from Nik yet, and I'm sure they're great if you say they are. But it's also another program to have to use, when in Topaz I can simply move the detail slider and voila. Topaz Detail goes even further, but I'm speaking purely of the sliders found within Adjust and B&W Effects, versus the Detail Extractor filter found in Color Efex (which is okay, but nowhere in the same league as what Topaz offers). One of the things I love about Topaz in this respect is that you can heighten detail apart from exposure, which allows you to get a lot more detail without getting too overbaked too quickly.

One great example is I had recently gone on a hike, and taken some landscape shots, which I then processed in Topaz B&W Effects. I then later processed a couple in Nik, both in Silver Efex and in Color Efex, then did final B&W conversion and touch up in Lightroom. What I noticed is that the clouds in the Topaz version came out much more realistic looking, and much more detailed, because the detail Topaz used was working on a much smaller scale (or so it seems). I didn't like the clouds from either Nik conversion nearly as much. Landscape was fine, I could have taken or left any of them, and felt that part was a bit of a wash between the three.

At any rate, remember this is based on my initial impressions, mainly of Nik, from a guy who's been using Topaz for quite a while and is used to it. It's not that I don't like Nik, certainly not the case at all, and the more I use it the more I like it. But I definitely wouldn't agree, at least so far, that Topaz is so incredibly inferior.
04-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zdwagner Quote
Well, I would agree that Nik's interface, specifically let's compare Color Efex and Topaz Adjust, is certainly quicker to use and get a pleasing result. It takes more time to produce a similar result from Adjust. I will agree that it does seem you can achieve a more 'realistic' looking faux HDR image from Nik, yes the presets in Topaz in relation to HDR are ridiculous. But since I never use the presets, it doesn't really bother me.
But I think there are some key differences and places where Topaz outshines Nik (at least, haven't messed with OnOne enough yet), though not having a whole lot of time with the latter, perhaps I'm wrong about these. One is the local adjustment brush for detail and selective color. The point interface on Nik, while fine and perhaps faster, doesn't compare to the manual brush process available in Topaz. If there's a brush tool for the items above in Nik, I apologize and have yet to try it.

The vignette feature is simply not as good as Topaz. They feather differently, and I prefer the more localized look I can get from the Topaz vignette (it works incredibly well in B&W Effects). There are things you can do with the Topaz vignette that simply are not possible with Nik, and that are miles beyond anything you can do with Lightroom.

Again, I personally think the detail enhancement in Topaz is much better and more localized than what you get from Nik (within say Adjust vs Color Efex). I have not had a chance to mess with the sharpening plugins from Nik yet, and I'm sure they're great if you say they are. But it's also another program to have to use, when in Topaz I can simply move the detail slider and voila. Topaz Detail goes even further, but I'm speaking purely of the sliders found within Adjust and B&W Effects, versus the Detail Extractor filter found in Color Efex (which is okay, but nowhere in the same league as what Topaz offers). One of the things I love about Topaz in this respect is that you can heighten detail apart from exposure, which allows you to get a lot more detail without getting too overbaked too quickly.

One great example is I had recently gone on a hike, and taken some landscape shots, which I then processed in Topaz B&W Effects. I then later processed a couple in Nik, both in Silver Efex and in Color Efex, then did final B&W conversion and touch up in Lightroom. What I noticed is that the clouds in the Topaz version came out much more realistic looking, and much more detailed, because the detail Topaz used was working on a much smaller scale (or so it seems). I didn't like the clouds from either Nik conversion nearly as much. Landscape was fine, I could have taken or left any of them, and felt that part was a bit of a wash between the three.

At any rate, remember this is based on my initial impressions, mainly of Nik, from a guy who's been using Topaz for quite a while and is used to it. It's not that I don't like Nik, certainly not the case at all, and the more I use it the more I like it. But I definitely wouldn't agree, at least so far, that Topaz is so incredibly inferior.
Would you be willing to start a comparison thread in the retouching forum, with perhaps these cloud samples? Maybe we can all use it to learn the software better.
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
Would you be willing to start a comparison thread in the retouching forum, with perhaps these cloud samples? Maybe we can all use it to learn the software better.
When I have time I'd love to. Currently I don't, but hopefully soon. I think that would/could be a fun thread. Whether a new thread gets started or not, I'll post comparisons at some point. =)