Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
pentax 16-50mm $969 at b&h
Posted By: Adam, 04-11-2013, 09:29 AM

BH has just posted a great online deal for the 16-50mm!

Pentax SMCP-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 ED SDM Lens 21650 B&H Photo Video

Views: 1,817
04-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just don't understand how B&H can display such prices that are not compliant with the Pentax MAP policy. It's one thing to "show the price in cart" or only make it available on the phone or in person, it's another thing to actually present the price so prominently and in the open on the main product page of the vendor's website.
04-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
If Pentax approved the deal, then BH can post it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
I just don't understand how B&H can display such prices that are not compliant with the Pentax MAP policy. It's one thing to "show the price in cart" or only make it available on the phone or in person, it's another thing to actually present the price so prominently and in the open on the main product page of the vendor's website.
Don't like discounted lens prices? MAP Police? Your view of this is quite different from the norm it seems.......

04-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
shows up for me at $969
04-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If only it were $799.99 again....
04-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Don't like discounted lens prices? MAP Police? Your view of this is quite different from the norm it seems......
No, my intent wasn't to complain about the fact that the price is less; it's just that I was confused about MAP (and dislike it a lot) and wondered why some companies must follow it and others don't abide by it. I agree with Adam that B&H, as one of the biggest authorized vendors of Pentax, must have gotten permission to do it.

04-11-2013, 12:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No, my intent wasn't to complain about the fact that the price is less; it's just that I was confused about MAP (and dislike it a lot) and wondered why some companies must follow it and others don't abide by it. I agree with Adam that B&H, as one of the biggest authorized vendors of Pentax, must have gotten permission to do it.
Yeah - I will admit that it is kind of strange in a way.
04-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

MAP is killing sales so they have to do something. These Command Economy decisions are just unsustainable.
04-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If Pentax approved the deal, then BH can post it.
If B&H asked Pentax to approve the deal, then it's an illegal collusion for price-fixing.
04-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
If B&H asked Pentax to approve the deal, then it's an illegal collusion for price-fixing.
Excellent point. Lawyers argue these things and are usually the only ones that win. The changes in what constitutes such things a few years ago doesn't make sense but it is the law now. If they gave a blanket amnesty from MAP to ADs that would be different, based on our discussions here and my reads back when MAP was disastrously announced..
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
No it is not.

Under U.S. law, only horizontal price fixing, i.e. collusion among competitors within the same market segment is per se illegal. So if B++H, Adorama, and a bunch of other competitors got together to set the price, then it would be illegal. What is happening here is a vertical interaction between supplier and distributor, a classic vertical MRP agreement. Under the Leegin v. PSKs decision MRPs are not illegal per se but are subjected to a rule of reason test.

see: Rule of reason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My reading of the original ruling doesn't square with that. Basically, making a broad rule as the supplier that everyone has to follow MAP and then selectively allowing people to not follow it is one of the specific conditions that was enumerated initially that would obviate the MAP and bar the supplier from enforcing it with others. Essentially the Court stated that selective enforcement of MAP is one mechanism that would eliminate the right of the supplier from setting any MAP. As I said earlier, the ruling in question is bad law IMHO and out of step with a long tradition on this issue but so far it stands. I also think that lawyers make their living through just such disagreements about what poor law, and rulings, say.
04-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

No it is not.

Under U.S. law, only horizontal price fixing, i.e. collusion among competitors within the same market segment is per se illegal. So if B++H, Adorama, and a bunch of other competitors got together to set the price, then it would be illegal. What is happening here is a vertical interaction between supplier and distributor, a classic vertical MRP agreement. Under the Leegin v. PSKs decision MRPs are not illegal per se but are subjected to a rule of reason test.

see: Rule of reason - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you're right. I think I was right before 2007.
04-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Eh, it's the Supreme Court's most recent word on the subject, so I don't know if you could really call it "bad law." A departure yes, but also currently binding precedent.

Also, we don't know if Pentax is actually selectively enforcing it or not - other retailers could simply not be reducing their price despite the opportunity. A quick search shows several on-line retailers with similar prices on new stock of this lens, but it's unclear whether they are Pentax-authorized dealers or not. Adorama is still lat the old price. Pentax's very small position in the market also weighs against enforcement here, since their policy has no effect on the numerous other comparable lenses on the market (whether they are pentax-compatible or not). Likewise, neither sua sponte governmental nor citizen enforcement would be likely in this case since the stakes are so small. If it were Canon or Nikon, who knows? Maybe it would be a different story.
The Supreme Court, despite some people's views, is not Divine. They have, and will, make bad law. There are dozens of easy examples but I need offer only 1 - Dred Scott v. Sandford .

To forestall those who will say that is ancient history, here are a couple more:

Korematsu v. U.S.

Kelo v. New London