Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
Adorama K-5 + 18-55 & 50-200 WR for $899
Posted By: Docrwm, 04-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Pentax K-5 Camera w/18-55mm Lens, Bundle w/Pentax SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 Lens 14762 B

Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL "WR" Zoom Lens - Bundle - with Pentax SMCP-DA 50-200mm f/4-5.6 ED "WR" Lens

Name:  IPXK51855B.jpg
Views: 3362
Size:  12.5 KB

SKU: IPXK51855B MFR: 14762 B

Why Adorama?

Easy Returns, Fast Shipping, Trusted for over 35 years. Need help? Call
800-815-0664 / 646-758-8887

$1,249.00 Regular Price
- $350.00 Instant Rebate
Your Final Price $899.00 Free Shipping (USA)

Views: 4,441
04-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see that the K-5 bodies are gone, but I can't believe that this is still in stock. I mean if you subtract the value of the lenses, you're still getting the camera for $600-650...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2013, 02:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I see that the K-5 bodies are gone, but I can't believe that this is still in stock. I mean if you subtract the value of the lenses, you're still getting the camera for $600-650...
I thought it was a very good deal too. Lots of stock clearing going on right now. That usually precedes either the release of new gear or a change in management. Let's hope your answer from Pentax from my other thread indicates that former.
04-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They renewed the deal in their Tax Day email flier I just received. Still have kits apparently.

04-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I have a question if someone wouldn't mind answering. Compared to the K30, how hard would it be for someone completely new to digital photography to learn to use a K5? Much thanks!
04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #6

I am wondering the same thing but I'm not completely new to digital photography.. I would be moving up from a K-X... any input would be appreciated!
04-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Trudger1272 Quote
I have a question if someone wouldn't mind answering. Compared to the K30, how hard would it be for someone completely new to digital photography to learn to use a K5? Much thanks!
QuoteOriginally posted by ChevyHickChick18 Quote
I am wondering the same thing but I'm not completely new to digital photography.. I would be moving up from a K-X... any input would be appreciated!
I do not have a K30, so I cannot compare that to a K5. However, as a K5 owner who jumped into the DSLR world with the K20D I would guess that the K5 would not pose any additional constraints - over the k30 -on your photographic journey. I would recommend that you get the k5. You will not regret it.

04-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
The two cameras are very similar as far as the interface goes, though I'd say the K-30 is more beginner-friendly thanks to its more responsive live view and video modes.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Thank you, I ordered a K30 18-55 WR kit from Cameta yesterday. With a 50-200 WR from KEH it actually was only eight dollars more than Cosco's tolal was (not a member), with a lot more in the kit. Cosco wouldn't accept my card for some odd reason. Still I won out in the end.
04-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, I ordered a K30 18-55 WR kit from Cameta yesterday. With a 50-200 WR from KEH it actually was only eight dollars more than Cosco's tolal was (not a member), with a lot more in the kit. Cosco wouldn't accept my card for some odd reason. Still I won out in the end.
Congratulations on both the new gear and getting the deal!
04-19-2013, 06:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I got one, too...

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
I do not have a K30, so I cannot compare that to a K5. However, as a K5 owner who jumped into the DSLR world with the K20D I would guess that the K5 would not pose any additional constraints - over the k30 -on your photographic journey. I would recommend that you get the k5. You will not regret it.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The two cameras are very similar as far as the interface goes, though I'd say the K-30 is more beginner-friendly thanks to its more responsive live view and video modes.
but I'm no beginner. Great camera, AMAZING price, but the biggest drawback to learning what you're doing is the zoom lenses...they are wonderful if you know what you're doing, but will not in any way help you to do that...and that very drawback is also the GREAT thing about Pentax - backwards compatibility. As soon as you can, buy yourself a nice fixed focal length wide angle manual focus lens from a used shop...28 or wider...make SURE it has a depth of field scale on it. Learn to use it properly...you'll HATE it at first. I hated my 24 for about two years, then gradually, once I read some Ansel Adams stuff about the "Near/far dichotomy", fell in love with wide angle photography and the hyperfocal scale. And make sure you read, read, read. Join a camera club, learn from the elders...take a course or two if you can. Borrow and old camera, shoot some B&W film, go to a darkroom, it will help you to understand Photoshop better. It will become a lifelong passion and a wonderful thing in your life, like it has for me and MILLIONS of others.

Welcome aboard - we're all here to help and to share. Don't pass up that deal! $450.00 for THAT camera??? Waterproof, 6+ frames a second, image stabilization IN THE BODY....INSANE!!!! Do it immediately.

Cheers,
Cameron
04-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #12

Thanks, & your advice is well received. Though on the lower end, I plan to purchase both the 35mm da l 2.4 & the AF 50mm f1.8 as soon as I can. Currently I'm in my third month of photo 010 @ LACC. I'm shooting with a Nikon FM2n. So I'm getting a little practice with B&W film. I admit still I know very little, especially about Digital. I was planning on sticking with Nikon, then I saw the K30 in action on youtube
04-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, & your advice is well received. Though on the lower end, I plan to purchase both the 35mm da l 2.4 & the AF 50mm f1.8 as soon as I can. Currently I'm in my third month of photo 010 @ LACC. I'm shooting with a Nikon FM2n. So I'm getting a little practice with B&W film. I admit still I know very little, especially about Digital. I was planning on sticking with Nikon, then I saw the K30 in action on youtube
Glad to hear that the K-30 caught your attention. Pentax can make some really good stuff. The 35/2.4 is a gem of a lens - good IQ, light, good color rendition, inexpensive.
04-20-2013, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #14

I recently switched from a K-X to a K5. It was absolutely wonderful and definitely worth the cost. All of the little details about the k-x that bothered me are addressed in the K5. In terms of handling, durability, controls, and image quality, it really does an excellent job. In comparison to the canon 5d and 6d (own by my friends), I'd say you really are getting a lot for your money. When you factor in all of the excellent legacy glass available for very inexpensive prices, the K5 is a very, very good option.
04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Fats Quote
I recently switched from a K-X to a K5. It was absolutely wonderful and definitely worth the cost. All of the little details about the k-x that bothered me are addressed in the K5. In terms of handling, durability, controls, and image quality, it really does an excellent job. In comparison to the canon 5d and 6d (own by my friends), I'd say you really are getting a lot for your money. When you factor in all of the excellent legacy glass available for very inexpensive prices, the K5 is a very, very good option.
One of my biggest issues with my K-X is that it tries to focus on what it wants to focus on, even in the manual mode.. I started out with Black and white developing my own film so I have fundamentals down.. it just takes me a lot longer for me to position my k-x into letting me do what I want to do.. what were some of your issues? I'm extremely interested in upgrading and you're the first person who has had a k-x!!

Thanks for all of your input!!