Photos: Gallery | Albums
Added Bonus:
Buy Together & Save

Click Here To Save $20 On Adobe Photoshop Elements 11
When Purchased Together With This Item
04-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 (body only) is $539 on Amazon (from Emmy Photo).

Amazon.com: Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR (Black, Body Only): Camera & Photo

04-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Concerning Emmy Photo.. that and the other vendor selling K-30s on Amazon have a notable amount of seller reviews, indicating they often send refurbished, warranty/manual-less products, etc, and the purchaser has to deal with Amazon to get refunded.

I'm looking for a K-30 myself, and I'm having trouble deciding on a buyer, but I'm definitely avoiding Emmy Photo and Electronics Basket. Apparently Electronics Basket claims the reaosn they don't send the warranty is that they register it themselves... Scary. Anyway, I've been looking for a good place to buy, and a right price.

The only reason I haven't bought from an authorized dealer yet is that my head is spinning with what lens I should go with.
04-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Polioliolio Quote
Concerning Emmy Photo.. that and the other vendor selling K-30s on Amazon have a notable amount of seller reviews, indicating they often send refurbished, warranty/manual-less products, etc, and the purchaser has to deal with Amazon to get refunded.

I'm looking for a K-30 myself, and I'm having trouble deciding on a buyer, but I'm definitely avoiding Emmy Photo and Electronics Basket. Apparently Electronics Basket claims the reaosn they don't send the warranty is that they register it themselves... Scary. Anyway, I've been looking for a good place to buy, and a right price.

The only reason I haven't bought from an authorized dealer yet is that my head is spinning with what lens I should go with.
If you don't have any lenses yet, I'd recommend going with the 18-135mm kit. It's a nice upgrade over the 18-55mm lens, and it's a great multi-purpose lens.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. Sound reasoning about dealers, Adorama, B&H, and Amazon itself are my goto places for lots of great reasons.

+1 to Adam's suggestion about the 18-135, plus its WR to go with the K-30!
04-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the welcome and advice, guys.

The 18-135mm WR really sounds great, but 400 dollars on the lens is more than I wanted to pay at first..
That said, it sounds like the best lens for almost any situation I'd be in, and the weather resistant feature is a huge plus.
It'd should also do me well for the animal photography I enjoy doing, better than any of the kit lenses, it seems.

I want to take a step up and take photography more seriously, and I've been led to the K-30 after spending the last couple days browsing forums, reading reviews, looking for critiques on good cameras, etc.

I'd love a huge telephoto lens, but can't afford anything like that for now.. So.. the 18-135mm is the way to go huh?

Would you guys recommend watching for deals on vintage lenses?
Without knowing much, it seems like one could acquire a number of fixed, manual lenses, for a nice price.. What do you think?

04-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the welcome and advice, guys.

The 18-135mm WR really sounds great, but 400 dollars on the lens is more than I wanted to pay at first..
That said, it sounds like the best lens for almost any situation I'd be in, and the weather resistant feature is a huge plus.
It'd should also do me well for the animal photography I enjoy doing, better than any of the kit lenses, it seems.

I want to take a step up and take photography more seriously, and I've been led to the K-30 after spending the last couple days browsing forums, reading reviews, looking for critiques on good cameras, etc.

I'd love a huge telephoto lens, but can't afford anything like that for now.. So.. the 18-135mm is the way to go huh?

Would you guys recommend watching for deals on vintage lenses?
Without knowing much, it seems like one could acquire a number of fixed, manual lenses, for a nice price.. What do you think?
There are a lot of K mount lenses out there - some great, some not-so-great. The review section here is your best source IMHO for looking at them. There are loads of threads analyzing performance. For an initial long lens you can got manual focus or auto focus. Among the auto focus long lenses the 55-300 from Penax is an outstanding start.
04-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
There are a lot of K mount lenses out there - some great, some not-so-great. The review section here is your best source IMHO for looking at them. There are loads of threads analyzing performance. For an initial long lens you can got manual focus or auto focus. Among the auto focus long lenses the 55-300 from Penax is an outstanding start.
Looks like a great source, thank you!
04-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #11

People on this forum are so helpful I thought I might see if I could get a question in to the gurus. I'm looking at either this k-30 body or buying a used k-5 from here. I have a few lenses already (a couple of M primes and the kit lens) so I'm not too interested in the kit lens deals but is there any reason to go with the k-30 instead of a used k-5? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
04-30-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
There are a number of threads on this for that already address your question. Peruse through these threads such as: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/186886-k5-vs-k30.html, https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/187947-choose-pentax-k30-vs-k5.html, and https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/208804-k5-vs-k30-vs-k5-ii.html and you may find your answers there
04-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neutralluke Quote
People on this forum are so helpful I thought I might see if I could get a question in to the gurus. I'm looking at either this k-30 body or buying a used k-5 from here. I have a few lenses already (a couple of M primes and the kit lens) so I'm not too interested in the kit lens deals but is there any reason to go with the k-30 instead of a used k-5? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
The K-30 has focus peaking in live view. I use live view when using a tripod and focus peaking allows you to be very accurate focusing manually. Personally, I would buy a new camera over a used anytime, unless the used is an absolute steal, that's just my opinion.