Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Aussie version of Not a Pentax Samsung NX1000 twin lens deal $446 free shipping
Posted By: selar, 04-22-2013, 07:53 PM

Was wondering whether to post this in Price watch when I saw Docwrms thread.

This camera is available at JB Hifi online for $446 for the camera and 20-50 pancake zoom, + bonus Samsung 50-200mm F4.0-5.6 ED OIS II Lens. The link to the camera is Samsung NX1000 20.3MP Digital Smart Camera (Black) | Digital Cameras, Digital CS Cameras : JB HI-FI Interestingly the camera by itself is $496, but when you add the 50-200mm lens the total price of the cart reduces to $446 with free delivery. Must be bona fide because there's a notice on the site saying there is a promotion for the addtional lens from Samsung. I was told it also comes with a small external flash. No bags or SD cards or such.

Samsung appear to have a good selection of lenses as well and they can be had for a good price from http://www.discountcameras.com.au/discountcameras/product_list?search=samsung+nx+lens

The camera has some interesting features via wifi such as the ability to use a Samsung galaxy phone or tablet as a remote viewfinder. Looking for comments on image quality of this camera compared to K-01 or NEX 5N please.

Now that we have no more Q, K-01 or Sigma lens bargains to waste our money on, thought this might come in handy,
Views: 1,656
04-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice find. I like that they bundle it with an attachable external flash. Pretty cheap for a nice setup.
04-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Doc. Looks like the flash attaches to a proper hotshoe as well, wonder if Pentax flashes are supported in TTL, There is even an official K mount adapter.
04-23-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmm... I've been pondering a second smaller camera for a while, in particular one where I can get a compact fixed lens around the 40mm equivalent length. This deal + the 30mm F2 looks quite interesting.

04-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
This deal + the 30mm F2 looks quite interesting
Very! By all accounts the 30/2 is a must have lens for the NX system, very high resolution figures,
04-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Very! By all accounts the 30/2 is a must have lens for the NX system, very high resolution figures,
Here is a very positive review of that lens:
Samsung NX 30mm f/2 ( S30NB ) - Review / Lens Test
04-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just had a play with a NX1000 in the local JB HiFi store. The camera reviews all complain about slow file write times but I didn't think they were too bad at all. Tried both Jpeg and RAW files. Didn't check the firmware version on the display unit in case firmware improvements play a part in this. Encouraged sufficiently to give this further consideration.

04-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Here is a very positive review of that lens:
Samsung NX 30mm f/2 ( S30NB ) - Review / Lens Test
Thanks for the link - I did find that review last night, and found the resolution numbers pretty impressive. Particularly the evenness of resolution across the frame at F4 and F5.6.
04-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Thanks for the link - I did find that review last night, and found the resolution numbers pretty impressive. Particularly the evenness of resolution across the frame at F4 and F5.6.
I agree. The uniformity of the image quality is a very significant factor that all too many lenses lack. As I said, some of the Samsung camera gear looks pretty good.
04-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think I may bite on this deal, and then sell the 50-200 to fund a 30mm F2. I then effectively have a APS-C 30mm fixed focal length camera that is much much smaller than some of the Fuji larger sensor stuff and less than half the outlay for a Nikon A, Ricoh GR etc (and a stop wider lens to boot). This would be almost the perfect second camera for me - something light that I can put in a small pouch attached to a trouser belt and yet packs some serious IQ. The K-01 sadly didn't qualify - with a FA28 or similar, was a bit bulkier and heavier than what I was after. I have a Olympus EPL1 that was supposed to fill this niche - but I found $400+ for a Panny 20mm to plonk on it was a bit too rich for me, and the noise from ISO400 and up was irritatingly disappointing for someone used to the more recent Pentax dSLRs. So this will probably be sold off as well.
04-24-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried out the remote viewinder function in store today, it actually works in near real time. Probably not good enough for action, but good enough to have the lens pointed at an impossible angle. More than makes up for the lack of a swivelling titling viewfinder.
04-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
I tried out the remote viewinder function in store today, it actually works in near real time. Probably not good enough for action, but good enough to have the lens pointed at an impossible angle. More than makes up for the lack of a swivelling titling viewfinder.
Interesting, as I have an Android phone that can act as a wifi hotspot.