Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

FA 43 f/1.9 limited
Posted By: ranjitacharya, 04-23-2013, 11:37 AM

FA 43 available at goodwill store. It will be interesting to see what the max bid will be.
Anyone interested?

shopgoodwill.com - #13011394 - Pentax ZX-50 Film Camera w/Lenses & Etc Powers On - 4/28/2013 6:02:00 PM
Views: 2,795
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll keep you guys updated on its condition

It's cheap enough that if it has some wear, it's a good price. If it's in amazing shape, it's significantly less than I would have expected to pay (around $600 for an early/silver/43). If it's broken, moldy, or truly hideous, it's going back.

But I believe that if someone bought the lens in the first place and held onto the pouch, hood, and front cap--it probably wasn't mishandled and was probably owned by an enthusiast or someone who cared. What was the price difference between a 43 and an FA 50 in the early 2000s? I'd guess somewhere in the "twice as much" area, at least before the couple of price hikes since 2008. The 50/1.4 was like $199 when I started shooting Pentax around then. Most would choose the cheaper option.

So there is my philosophy on it. I've purchased from shopgoodwill.com previously, and it's been 50/50. This is an expensive purchase, but enough things line up. Now if only I could play the stock market the same way...

04-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
I'll keep you guys updated on its condition

It's cheap enough that if it has some wear, it's a good price. If it's in amazing shape, it's significantly less than I would have expected to pay (around $600 for an early/silver/43). If it's broken, moldy, or truly hideous, it's going back.

But I believe that if someone bought the lens in the first place and held onto the pouch, hood, and front cap--it probably wasn't mishandled and was probably owned by an enthusiast or someone who cared. What was the price difference between a 43 and an FA 50 in the early 2000s? I'd guess somewhere in the "twice as much" area, at least before the couple of price hikes since 2008. The 50/1.4 was like $199 when I started shooting Pentax around then. Most would choose the cheaper option.

So there is my philosophy on it. I've purchased from shopgoodwill.com previously, and it's been 50/50. This is an expensive purchase, but enough things line up. Now if only I could play the stock market the same way...

Best of luck! Hope it's a good sample!
04-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #18
Site Supporter

That is the same vintage as my 43, and it should be a good one. Best of luck, Ryan! Not sure they will take it back even if fungus etc., but I've had pretty good results from Goodwill, especially with the nicer and more expensive stuff I have bought. Hope it works out!
04-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
I believe this is the earliest version with the logo printed on the front cap and a brown leather case.
The later version (MIJ) and current version (AIV) has the logo engraved on the cap
Oops, I missed this post. You're absolutely correct; I have this photo on my computer's desktop so I forgot the 43's cap is different (just like how the 31's serial numbers didn't start at 1)...

pbase Artist Kees de Haan

Here is a site hidden in my bookmarks that I found on the 43's differences. I might pick up an engraved cap to match, we'll see.
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
Best of luck! Hope it's a good sample!
Thanks John, I'm thinking it will slide in nicely as a "replacement" for the FA 31 and DA* 55, both big and heavy lenses, so I can just grab the 43 and go. I'm not picky at all about focal length, a normal-ish perspective suffices And it's a bit faster than the 40/2.8.

Plus it's silver so I have to have it

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
That is the same vintage as my 43, and it should be a good one. Best of luck, Ryan! Not sure they will take it back even if fungus etc., but I've had pretty good results from Goodwill, especially with the nicer and more expensive stuff I have bought. Hope it works out!
Hey Nick, thanks for the well wishes! Fungus is really the only thing I'm worried about with older, unused gear. Things can be too clean, I like to see some usage marks

05-04-2013, 09:06 PM   #20
Pentaxian

A quick update between trips this weekend...

Received the 14 x 14 x 14" box with 3-4 giant "Fragile" stickers on it, opened it to find kraft paper wrapped around a bundle of bubble wrap. After unrolling the approximately 100 feet of bubble wrap, I finally came across the camera loaded in the bag with the zoom sticking out of the leather pouch (related, more bubble wrap).

I can see one small speck of felt from the inside of the cap inside the lens and the felt is peeling from the hood. There's some slight rubs on the name ring (on those little diffusion ring things). In the pic below, you can see 2 spots above the D in Limited and the first 0 of the serial...

Those are the only signs of use. This lens is a 9.5/10 easily. I didn't even clean it for that shot.

Functionally, 10/10.

Good night...snapshots for tonight, workshop with Marc Langille tomorrow! Thanks OP, and thanks Goodwill
05-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter

a gem!
05-05-2013, 10:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Ryan, I hate to admit it, but I was the guy bidding against you. Took it as high as the VERY limited bank account would allow! Hope you get a lot of good use out of it!