Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Pentax 645D in Perth, Western Australia
Posted By: Dean Bradshaw, 04-23-2013, 11:03 PM

This post is more of a "Has anyone had their 645D stolen recently?"

Gumtree (classified ad site) has a listing for a 645D with 55mm lens for $2500, with a suspicious seeming ad...bought in February and selling in April!?!

This is in Perth, Western Australia.

Anyway, if anyone who knows someone who has "lost" this camera, it may be worth checking out?
Pentax 645D | Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Perth City - West Perth

Cheers
Dean
Views: 1,482
04-23-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same seller has a D3s for $1,550: Nikon D3s 12.1 MP | Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Perth City - West Perth

Extreme scepticism here. I reckon anyone in the Perth area can check this one out in person. I have huge doubt that these are legitimate sales.
04-23-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

No contact phone, only email. Nikon D3s power plug is British.
Contact "her" and "she" will come up with a story that she can't meet (not in Australia, very sick whatsoever), will suggest to pay buy UCash and tell Ucash codes (or similar scheme).

Typical scam.
04-24-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

I have the similar Amazon US scam. The seller put a used-like new camera very cheap. They put their email address in the description and stated that if you have any question about condition, email them to ask. If you don't ask and check out, they will cancel it with reason "technical problem". If you email them, they will cancel the listing and email back "The X camera is still available, in New condition (listed as 'used' because the box was opened - the Camera is in New condition, not used, no scratches, not actions shutter), comes in original box with 12 months X warranty receipt and all manufacturer supplied accessories. The total price is $X + $X for delivery. If you want to buy send me your full name and address and I will contact Amazon asap to process an order for you. Delivery will take 3 - 5 days. My return policy is full money back in 21 days". If you email them your name and address, the next day they will send an order confirmation very similar to Amazon with the email address "auto-confirm@amazon-marketplace-service.com". They requested the payment is wire transfer to the bank account in UK.

04-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Interestingly both URLs no longer work on 24/4/13 17:30 AEST..... Suspicious
04-24-2013, 12:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting, the link and listing, for both Pentax and Nikon, are already gone!

Edvinas, so you think it is more of a straight up scam (goods may not even exist) as opposed to stolen goods? I hadn't really thought about that...I guess as I would never consider that type of transaction it didn't occur to me.

I was curious and had responded to the ad with the following;

"Where did you buy the camera? In Australia or overseas?
Did you buy it new, or secondhand?
Why are you selling the camera so soon after buying it? Does it all work OK?
Do you still have the box, manual and receipt? It may be possible to transfer the warranty."

I was keen to see what story they would come up with...I even considered ringing "Crime Stoppers", but I guess they probably have better things to do...

Anyways, thanks for input. I think it is always good to highlight these scams and remind people "If it seems to good to be true, it probably is".

Cheers
Dean
04-24-2013, 12:43 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I tried to message this 'Margot' person regarding both cameras, asking her why the cheap price and so on - no response, but soon afterwards, no ads...

04-24-2013, 04:04 AM   #8

Most of the time the photos are also stolen.
Google will find duplicates.

-Linus-
04-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
Interesting, the link and listing, for both Pentax and Nikon, are already gone!
Someone reported this scam to Gumtree and they removed them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean Bradshaw Quote
Edvinas, so you think it is more of a straight up scam (goods may not even exist) as opposed to stolen goods?
I am 100% sure about that. Pictures taken from some legitimate adverts and posted on Gumtree.

Here's the response I've just received from "Margot" after inquiring about Nikon D3s and requesting for meeting in Perth:
QuoteQuote:
Good evening,
Yes the product is still for sale. Price: $1550. I am very sorry but right now I am out at my parents, my father has some serious health problems and I need to take care of him as you can imagine, so if you want to buy the product, I can post it to you safely and secure by TransDirect-Delivery Company (I've left the product into their custody), is a small delivery company but very reputable one...they will provide a tracking number, everything will be legit and secured, so please get back to me with your decision.