Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
$10 monopod at Walmart - yes, Walmart.
Posted By: Docrwm, 04-29-2013, 05:19 AM

Targus Red TG-MP6710 67" Camera/Camcorder Monopod: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com

If you prefer Amazon, it is available from them for about the same price:
Amazon.com: Targus Digital TG-MP6710 67-Inch Camera/Camcorder Monopod: Camera & Photo

This is the same monopod that is sold under a variety of names. Dolica, Tiffen, Davis & Sanford, and Targus to name a few. I own it with Davis & Sanford painted on the side and have used it since 11/10. I've had it out at innumerable sporting events for my children and it hasn't missed a beat. I'm 6'2" and it's tall enough with camera and grip mounted on it for me to use without hurting my back. My review of it is here:
Davis & Sanford Vista Trailblazer Monopod reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

You can find it with other names marked on it at Amazon for around $15. The difference is, from the descriptions, that the $15 version comes with a case w/strap.
Amazon.com: Davis and Sanford Vista Trailblazer Monopod: Camera & Photo

Views: 6,319
04-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think mine is about six years old and says 'Targus', but it looks just like that one. I'm about the same height, and had the same needs for a taller 'pod. I added a cheap mini ball-head, and it's been a lot more useful since then.
04-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Albums
I could not find any information throughout the internet that shows the weight capacity of this particular model??
04-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I could not find any information throughout the internet that shows the weight capacity of this particular model??
I routinely use it with this combination (used it this way Saturday for soccer): K-5 + D-BG4 + Tamron 70-200

04-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yep. I've got one just like it. Cheap and good. I use it for all kinds of stuff. In addition to using it normally, it's good for holding the camera high above your head using the self timer for high angle shots. It's also handy to use as a boom for a radio triggered flash, and bopping camera thieves in the noggin. I never go shooting without it.
04-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Doc, you're shrinking!
You were 6'3" at the time of your review, and now 6'2"
I have shrunk, from 6' 3.5" to about 6' 2" during my 66 years on earth's gravity.

I have the Dolica branded one, and think it's great.
04-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I have that one. I believe I paid closer to 15 or 20 bucks for mine.

I've brought it to work sometimes because I planned to shoot on the walk home that night, and had people joke at me that it was a beating stick.

As for weight capacity, its a pretty solid chunk of metal, I suspect its fairly high.
04-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Doc, you're shrinking!
You were 6'3" at the time of your review, and now 6'2"
I have shrunk, from 6' 3.5" to about 6' 2" during my 66 years on earth's gravity.

I have the Dolica branded one, and think it's great.
Age. I find that my height varies more widely now that I am out of High School

04-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This may seem like an odd question for those of you who own this monopod......

I've never used a monopod before as I use a tripod all the time. But I need a walking stick for the days that I can go out and about in the woods. I see that it has the bottom spike option which is great, but I wonder how strong it is if I needed to put some of my weight onto it. Not only the strength in general, I wonder if the slip joints when locked would hold.
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
This may seem like an odd question for those of you who own this monopod......

I've never used a monopod before as I use a tripod all the time. But I need a walking stick for the days that I can go out and about in the woods. I see that it has the bottom spike option which is great, but I wonder how strong it is if I needed to put some of my weight onto it. Not only the strength in general, I wonder if the slip joints when locked would hold.
I just tested mine for you.
Fully extended, it took a fair amount of pressure to slip, but it did slip.
Something similar to this might suit your needs better.

edit to add, after reading some of the reviews about this pole, better choices are proably available.
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I just tested mine for you.
Fully extended, it took a fair amount of pressure to slip, but it did slip.
Something similar to this might suit your needs better.

edit to add, after reading some of the reviews about this pole, better choices are proably available.
Thanks so much for testing yours out for me. The idea of a walking stick / monopod combo just jumped into my head when reading this thread.

Actually for my intended use, I don't need it to be collapsible like a traditional monopod. Thanks for the link for the hiking pole - pretty neat in that it has an integrated camera mount. I'll investigate further.
04-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The weak link on this monopod: after some time you will find that the top plug that contains the tripod bolt gets loose in the shaft.
The plug is attached by three tiny screws which develop some play; you can see them if you push down the foam grip.
I haven't messed with mine since I subsequently purchased a beefier monopod.
It probably wont fall apart but it felt weird to have the camera wobble after locking down the tilt head I had on it.
it could probably be addressed by changing to larger screws or pulling the plug out and coating with epoxy before reinsertion.
04-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Good Point

You're absolutely correct about the three screws becoming loose. I used a thread locking compound when I reinstalled the screws and I haven't had the problem again.
04-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Thanks, just what I was looking for!
04-30-2013, 12:37 AM   #15

Wow that's cheap!