Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
DxO Optics Pro Elite edition v6 (Win/Mac) for FREE
Posted By: rawr, 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Download a full version of the well-regarded DxO Optics Pro RAW processor/image editor (v6) for free, courtesy of DxO and the German 'Fotohits' magazine.

Steps:
Follow the Promo Link
Enter you email address
Press "BESTÄTIGEN"

You will then be taken to the download page for the Windows and Mac version of DxO v6.

(NB: The promo and download pages are in German).

The latest version of DxO is v.8, but this older v6 fully supports the following Pentax camera bodies:

Pentax K10D
Pentax K20D
Pentax K200D
Pentax K-5
Pentax K-7
Pentax K-m
Pentax K-r
Pentax K-x

as well as lots of Canon, Nikon, Sony etc bodies too, which are listed in this PDF (28k). As this is the Elite edition, some full-frame bodies are also supported.

Bodies later than the above Pentax models (K-30, K-5IIs etc) will still work, as DxO v6 will still open DNG's (and perhaps PEFs) from later Pentax bodies.

This v6 also appears to allow you to download and use all of the appropriate DxO lens modules created to date, which means the 30 or so DxO modules for Pentax lenses should also work with it.

A great opportunity to try out DxO if you haven't used it before. An upgrade deal to DxO Optics Pro v8 is also available on the download page.

Offer expires 22 May 2013.


Found this originally on ozbargain

Last edited by rawr; 04-29-2013 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Updated with offer expiry date
Views: 6,112
04-29-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
Folks here should know they are downloading version 6 of this software which is now currently at version 8. Version 6 was slow but has improved quite a bit now.

What do you expect for free anyway?

04-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #17
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
My German is rusty but isn't this 2 versions old? Also, I've selected DA15, DA40, and DA70 in the module section - it goes through the motions of downloading them, but they do not appear in the modules list? Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Also, it doesn't offer me anything but Pentax lenses to download - I'd rather like to have the Tamron 10-24 & Tamron 70-200 modules as well. Thanks.
ditto, I can't open my lightroom4 catalog and can't open my K-01 .DNG files, even though I've selected k-5 as the camera body.
04-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Folks here should know they are downloading version 6 of this software which is now currently at version 8. Version 6 was slow but has improved quite a bit now.

What do you expect for free anyway?
Stan,
I expect that for free I get an older version Still can't get it to add modules for my most used lenses.......
04-29-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,594
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
isn't this 2 versions old? Also, I've selected DA15, DA40, and DA70 in the module section - it goes through the motions of downloading them, but they do not appear in the modules list? Any idea what I'm doing wrong? Also, it doesn't offer me anything but Pentax lenses to download - I'd rather like to have the Tamron 10-24 & Tamron 70-200 modules as well. Thanks
Yes, this is older v6 (circa 2011), while the most current version is v8. (I have both installed, on different PC's as I never updated my old v6.5 on my second PC).

When lens modules are downloading you should see a progress screen 'Downloading DxO Optics modules', then a 'OK' confirmation dialog, then the modules should be active and also listed in the 'DxO Optics Modules > DxO Optics Modules' menu.

I just downloaded and setup two modules one for the 18-135 WR and the DA*300 for the K-x. Interestingly the 18-135 lens module works but the DA*300 module downloads and installs but DxO says 'Not supported in this edition'. so there may be some issues in getting lens modules for lenses that were developed after v6 (like the DA 40 and DA15, it seems) to work. This may also account for some of those Tamron lenses not showing up - those modules may have been created after v6.

FYI these are the lens modules I currently have showing up on my DxO v6.5 installation as working. This may not show every lens module that works on v6 (or which I own), just the ones I've downloaded at some stage:




Last edited by rawr; 04-29-2013 at 08:13 PM.
04-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 602
Thanks, downloading it.
04-29-2013, 10:44 PM   #21
Veteran Member
IS050's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Stumptown
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 434
Thanks Rawr, Downloaded it. However when I selected an image in the “PROJECT” pane, it does not appear in the “IMAGE” pane! Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 9
Thanks for the heads up...

I've downloaded and installed the Mac version but it doesn't want to open .DNG files... I see previews for .jpg and even .CRW but not for .DNG. These were taken with a K30 so maybe that is the problem?

Any idea?
04-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Stan,
I expect that for free I get an older version Still can't get it to add modules for my most used lenses.......
I think rawr's explanation is right. DxO has added tons of lens modules since v6. The newer modules won't be available for the older versions because.....well....they want you to buy the newest version.

Same goes for the K-30 .dng files - the K-30 wasn't in existence back in v6.

Edit to add - v6 was replaced with v7 on 11-30-2011. Since then 3275 new lens modules have been added.

DxO Labs - News


Last edited by stormtech; 04-30-2013 at 05:04 AM.
04-30-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,594
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by IS050 Quote
However when I selected an image in the “PROJECT” pane, it does not appear in the “IMAGE” pane! Any advice would be appreciated.
DxO is a bit complicated and has a lot of features, but the basic workflow with this version of DxO is to first browse the images you want to work with by browsing your file system under the 'Select' tab. Then if you double-click on an image in a 'Select' tab folder you want to work with, it will be placed in the 'Project' pane down the bottom of the screen. Once an image is in the 'Project' pane, double-clicking on it will open it in the 'Customize' tab, from where you can apply geometric corrections, adjust WB, sharpening, apply preset effects etc.
04-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #25
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,594
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brettpr Quote
it doesn't want to open .DNG files... I see previews for .jpg and even .CRW but not for .DNG. These were taken with a K30 so maybe that is the problem?
This version does open DNG's just fine (from for example my K-x/K200D/K-5) but not K-30 DNG's, whether by design (K-30 is too new for full support in DxO v6) or accident (Pentax mucked up the DNG metadata or something for the K-30's files) I can't tell. However I can confirm that the latest DxO v8 opens K-30 DNG's without any issues.
04-30-2013, 06:52 AM   #26
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 9
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This version does open DNG's just fine (from for example my K-x/K200D/K-5) but not K-30 DNG's, whether by design (K-30 is too new for full support in DxO v6) or accident (Pentax mucked up the DNG metadata or something for the K-30's files) I can't tell. However I can confirm that the latest DxO v8 opens K-30 DNG's without any issues.
Thanks for the confirmation that V8 will open the K-30 files.

So the question now is, is DxO the program to buy compared to, say, Lightroom?

Thanks again,

B)
04-30-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,594
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brettpr Quote
is DxO the program to buy compared to, say, Lightroom?
I use both, and in general LR I find LR is more useful, both as a image manager/cataloguer/printer, and a RAW processor/image editor. As a RAW processor, it has a great set of tools, including excellent noise reduction, the ability to make spot adjustments, and lots of third party presets. So yeah, I'd probably buy LR instead of DxO. It's a great package.

But I still keep DxO around, and keep it up to date, because it does some things better than LR - eg geometric distortion adjustments and lens corrections. Sometimes I find it is also just good to have a second (or third) opinion on an image from an alternative RAW processor.
04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #28
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
This version does open DNG's just fine (from for example my K-x/K200D/K-5) but not K-30 DNG's, whether by design (K-30 is too new for full support in DxO v6) or accident (Pentax mucked up the DNG metadata or something for the K-30's files) I can't tell. However I can confirm that the latest DxO v8 opens K-30 DNG's without any issues.
same for k-01 .DNG files--- v8 opens them but this free v6 does not.

I'll probably uninstall both and stick with Lightroom4
04-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I use both, and in general LR I find LR is more useful, both as a image manager/cataloguer/printer, and a RAW processor/image editor. As a RAW processor, it has a great set of tools, including excellent noise reduction, the ability to make spot adjustments, and lots of third party presets. So yeah, I'd probably buy LR instead of DxO. It's a great package.

But I still keep DxO around, and keep it up to date, because it does some things better than LR - eg geometric distortion adjustments and lens corrections. Sometimes I find it is also just good to have a second (or third) opinion on an image from an alternative RAW processor.
Exactly my thoughts also.
04-30-2013, 09:20 AM   #30
Pentaxian
seventysixersfan's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,702
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
They send the registration code to your email...
Has anyone gotten the email with registration code yet? I haven't and signed up for this last night.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bodies, download, dxo, modules, optics, pentax, pentax deals, v6, version
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DxO are discounting DxO Optics Pro again rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 4 11-09-2011 01:00 PM
DXO are discounting DXO Optics Pro again until 14 June rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 17 06-25-2011 07:52 AM
DXO Optics Pro v6.5 now available rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 9 11-11-2010 05:07 PM
DXO are giving 30% off DXO Optics Pro until Dec 25 rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 13 11-11-2010 01:22 PM
Dxo Optics Pro v6.2 discounted price extended to 30 June rawr Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 07-10-2010 04:39 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:23 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top