Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Anyone else miss out on the $249 K-01 bodies? There's still hope!
Posted By: dtrego, 04-29-2013, 05:49 PM

It looks like Adorama has them again. Yellow only, far as I could tell. I ordered one and got a confirmation email, so hopefully it's not a cruel hoax or website error...

Pentax K-01 DSLR Camera Body,Yellow 15322

Views: 4,853
04-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Seems to be all gone now.
04-30-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

Too bad, I was going to buy 2. I missed out on the cheap ones. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
05-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
Too bad, I was going to buy 2. I missed out on the cheap ones. Thanks for the heads up anyway.
Looks like they have it in stock now.

05-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Hmmm...just ordered the yellow to complete my Newson Trinity. Let's see if it actually goes through.
05-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone done a comparison between the K-01 and the K-x? The K-x was my first DSLR but it's getting a little long in the tooth.
05-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should be $200 now - the Yen has dropped ....

05-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #8

ordered mine--forgot NY taxes---LOL
05-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

I screwed up. I haven't been visiting FB or PF and did not know these had went the way of the DoeDoe. I wanted one but waited too long and now I've missed out.
05-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

So yeah...my order is listed as backordered. I wonder what the chances are that I'll get a yellow back in stock.
05-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Has anyone done a comparison between the K-01 and the K-x? The K-x was my first DSLR but it's getting a little long in the tooth.
I have a k-x and I just got a k-01. I'll start with the cons of the k-01 (from my experience) first, as they are more important:

Cons:
1) Doesn't work with all my lenses. It consistently mis-focuses (but says it is focused) with my Tamron 70-200. It is also a little tough to use with my Sigma 50 F1.4.
2) It doesn't take AA batteries.
3) The green button placement sucks. Even with focus peaking, it's not that fun to use with manual lenses because of that.
4) TAv mode doesn't have exposure compensation.
5) I can't zoom in to 10x on liveview anymore, only 6x.
6) On off switch is pretty easy to hit when putting it back in the bag. The k-x has more resistance and a smaller toggle.
7) The grip isn't as grippy.

Those are my main annoyances. One minor one that only affects me (probably) is that the strap lug location on the left side and the flash button on the top left side makes me pop open the flash anytime I wrap the strap around my wrist.

Now, the pros:
1) Fantastic LCD compared to the k-x.
2) Very quick AF on firmware 1.3 compared to the k-x. Almost equal to the PDAF. Tons faster than the CDAF.
3) Basically the same buttons.
4) It is a little bit smaller.
5) The k-5 sensor.
6) Focus peaking + focus assist makes manual focus so easy for me now. The k-x was much more difficult to manual focus.
7) TAv mode is nice for most situations.
8) The video is a tremendous upgrade from the k-x.
9) The shutter is so quiet without the mirror slap.

I wouldn't get the k-01 as a replacement for the k-x. I'm using it in addition to my k-x. I currently have a A28 F2.8 that doesn't leave the k-01. Eventually I'll upgrade that to a DA 21 Ltd. Carrying the k-01 with a wide lens and the k-x with a short or medium telephoto will make for the perfect budget kit for almost everything.

One nice plus is that people notice me a lot less with the k-01 than with my k-x. Having to bring the camera to the eye made it difficult to street shoot people. I hold the k-01 in front of me at chest level all the time, so shifting to shooting position is much less obvious.
05-05-2013, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
So yeah...my order is listed as backordered. I wonder what the chances are that I'll get a yellow back in stock.
The K-01 is definitely no longer in production. But there is a good chance the supply pipeline hasn't yet run dry. If Adorama's web site allows you to place the order, it's likely they think they'll get some more K-01s before they're all gone. I'm sure we don't have much time left but it's worth trying. And then, when the supply truly runs dry, watch the price for used K-01s rise. The awkward, urgly brick will become a minor classic.
05-06-2013, 05:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I have a k-x and I just got a k-01. I'll start with the cons of the k-01 (from my experience) first, as they are more important:

I wouldn't get the k-01 as a replacement for the k-x. I'm using it in addition to my k-x. I currently have a A28 F2.8 that doesn't leave the k-01. Eventually I'll upgrade that to a DA 21 Ltd. Carrying the k-01 with a wide lens and the k-x with a short or medium telephoto will make for the perfect budget kit for almost everything.

One nice plus is that people notice me a lot less with the k-01 than with my k-x. Having to bring the camera to the eye made it difficult to street shoot people. I hold the k-01 in front of me at chest level all the time, so shifting to shooting position is much less obvious.
Thanks for the reply. I have the K5 but wanted something that may have better video controls while have a better sensor than the K-x. With everything on back order I guess I'll stay with my K-x for a bit longer.
05-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a black one and I'm itching to sell it for a k30 but it does everything I ask it to do!
05-06-2013, 06:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
The K-01 is definitely no longer in production. But there is a good chance the supply pipeline hasn't yet run dry. If Adorama's web site allows you to place the order, it's likely they think they'll get some more K-01s before they're all gone. I'm sure we don't have much time left but it's worth trying. And then, when the supply truly runs dry, watch the price for used K-01s rise. The awkward, urgly brick will become a minor classic.
I won't be cancelling my order and in the meantime I'll just enjoy shooting with my pandatrooper and black brick. I'll let adorama cancel the order if they can't get anymore in stock.