Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
1Day Sales: 8mm FE -Rokinon for $219 + FS
Posted By: Docrwm, 04-29-2013, 10:09 PM

Wireless Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day


List Price $299.99
Savings $80.00 (27%)
Price: $219.99 + FREE SHIPPING
Views: 1,835
04-29-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
Nice deal.
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,560
It is a good deal. I've got a DA 10-17mm fisheye that I paid double for. I almost always use it at 10mm. This deal makes me regret buying the 10-17mm a month ago.
04-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Temple City CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 726
I have used both, yes, the DA is much more expensive, and the Korean made is capable to create very nice and sharp image, However, the zoom makes it much easier to use between those 2, but more importantly, DA has the min focus at 14cm, as vs the Korean made 30cm, which annoyed me, having used the DA before, I sold mine within a few days after obtaining the Rokinon.

04-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
well, I have been severely going thru "buying-addiction" withdrawal, so I think I may have to get this. Problem is.. I read bad things about this seller, like they never ship!
also note that the newer, more $$$ version has the removeable hood.

the company reviews stink, but I'll probably still order it!

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/1_Sale_a_Day

Last edited by PBandJ; 04-30-2013 at 06:20 AM.
04-30-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
I know this has been brought up before, but I get confused as there are a few different versions of this lens - Rokinon, Bower, etc.

Does this one have the "A" function on the aperture ring? The pic shows the Canon version which I know does not.
04-30-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
well, I have been severely going thru "buying-addiction" withdrawal, so I think I may have to get this. Problem is.. I read bad things about this seller, like they never ship!
also note that the newer, more $$$ version has the removeable hood.

the company reviews stink, but I'll probably still order it!

1 Sale a Day Reviews - 1saleaday.com Ratings at ResellerRatings
They do take about 10 days to ship in my experience. If you want it right away look elsewhere.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I know this has been brought up before, but I get confused as there are a few different versions of this lens - Rokinon, Bower, etc.

Does this one have the "A" function on the aperture ring? The pic shows the Canon version which I know does not.
I own this lens and it definitely has an "A" setting.
04-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I own this lens and it definitely has an "A" setting.
Thanks Doc - now the decision.....should I get this to compliment or replace my DA 10-17.........

04-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
They do take about 10 days to ship in my experience. If you want it right away look elsewhere.



I own this lens and it definitely has an "A" setting.

I'm content to wait, but I'd like it before my vacation May 25

Thanks for the A setting update.
04-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,560
I've made probably 20 purchases from this retailer over the last couple years. My only complaint is slow shipping. Like it taking a month instead of a week.
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter




Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Saint Paul
Posts: 304
8mm will have too much fish-eye effect, correct? Won't 10-17mm be a better option for practical purposes?
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Temple City CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 726
I think all Korean made lenses (8mm, 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm) has A-setting for Pentax mount
04-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
8mm will have too much fish-eye effect, correct? Won't 10-17mm be a better option for practical purposes?
I think for practical purposes you are correct. With the 10-17, from 12mm on up to 17mm, if I watch what I am doing, I will see very little FE effect if any. Plus, when using Lightroom and using the lens correction profile, it will take any FE effect out of the image.

I would find the 8mm FE a more specialty lens than even the 10-17.
04-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I think for practical purposes you are correct. With the 10-17, from 12mm on up to 17mm, if I watch what I am doing, I will see very little FE effect if any. Plus, when using Lightroom and using the lens correction profile, it will take any FE effect out of the image.

I would find the 8mm FE a more specialty lens than even the 10-17.
I don't have the 10-17 but do have the Tamron 10-24 which is rectilinear and the Samyang/Rokinon/Vivitar 8mm FE. They are completely different lenses. The 8mm is a dedicated Fish-Eye lens and has a pronounced FE effect. It's also got a huge angle of view and is very easy to focus because at most f settings anything past 3m is in focus at infinity settings. Its only <3m that you actually have to focus the lens. The 8mm FE is definitely a specialty lens.
04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
geomez's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Preskit Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,560
Does anyone know how the 8mm fe and 10-17mm fe compare in terms of their physical size?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax deals, price
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Rokinon 8mm Fisheye darrenleow Sold Items 4 02-19-2012 05:18 PM
DA 10-17mm vs Samyang/etc 8mm FE Eruditass Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 07-26-2011 11:57 PM
For Sale - Sold: Rokinon (Samyang) 8mm FE, Sigma 70~300 APO (CONUS) joe.penn Sold Items 0 07-18-2011 06:40 PM
Landscape Rokinon 8mm FE meets 'The Wave' dhodgeh Post Your Photos! 16 05-01-2011 11:59 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top