Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Rear Converter-A 1.4x-L
Posted By: StigVidar, 05-01-2013, 05:20 AM

This has already been relisted with zero bids on the first try. Why?

Pentax Rear Converter A 1 4X L | eBay
Views: 990
05-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Price lol?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

It has a pretty small market as it will fit very few lenses. That's the high end of the price range for that thing...
05-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
It has a pretty small market as it will fit very few lenses. That's the high end of the price range for that thing...
Yeah it isn't a typical 1.4x teleconverter - due to the extending front element it was designed to be used with specific telephoto lenses that have the ability to accept the protruding lens elements, hence the limited appeal (and the high price doesn't help).

05-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They typically sell for more than that, the last one I saw on KEH BGN condition was $300.00 I sold one for more than that. Since it works with most pentax produced telephoto lenses (and that is really where you are using a converter) I don't see why there is a fuss. The majority of other telephoto lenses I've used also have enough recess to accept this converter, the Adaptall 2 line comes to mind(please note that I said "majority" and "I've" so you don't need to list the ones it doesn't work with). I read someplace that it was designed more as an additional rear element group for the back of the lens than just a basic magnifier. From someone who used it for quite a while, it produces great results. For the OP, it would be great with your 250-600mm!!
05-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
They typically sell for more than that, the last one I saw on KEH BGN condition was $300.00 I sold one for more than that. Since it works with most pentax produced telephoto lenses (and that is really where you are using a converter) I don't see why there is a fuss. The majority of other telephoto lenses I've used also have enough recess to accept this converter, the Adaptall 2 line comes to mind(please note that I said "majority" and "I've" so you don't need to list the ones it doesn't work with). I read someplace that it was designed more as an additional rear element group for the back of the lens than just a basic magnifier. From someone who used it for quite a while, it produces great results. For the OP, it would be great with your 250-600mm!!
I already have one, and yes, it is fantastic with the F*250-600. Images are exceptionally sharp even wide open.

New price in Norway was $690 so I thought this one was rather cheap.
05-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
They typically sell for more than that, the last one I saw on KEH BGN condition was $300.00 I sold one for more than that.
That one sat there for quite a while, finally bought by a fellow forum member after not finding one elsewhere. I sold one recently for $240ish I think (paid $200 for it, also recently). I think $225-$250 is about right in current market for a quick sale. You can always get more if you are patient.

QuoteQuote:
Since it works with most pentax produced telephoto lenses (and that is really where you are using a converter) I don't see why there is a fuss.
Don't know that there is a fuss, but the list of Pentax-branded compatible lenses is made up largely of pretty high-end rarities -- it is a good bet that many who would seek this TC already have it.

QuoteQuote:
The majority of other telephoto lenses I've used also have enough recess to accept this converter
Don't know about that -- the rear protrusion is long and so it has to fit that, but the real limiter is that the the protrusion is also incredibly wide in diameter -- it won't even fit through the mount of most lenses even if there is room for the length. The diameter of the protruding element is something like 35mm. (The 2x-L is apparently much less wide at around 26mm and will fit many more lenses.)

QuoteQuote:
the Adaptall 2 line comes to mind(please note that I said "majority" and "I've" so you don't need to list the ones it doesn't work with).
I did mange to use it with the Adaptall 400/4, but I had to modify the PKA mount to do it (remove the inner guard), so none of them work "out of the box" so to speak because it won't fit through an unmodified adaptall mount, once again because the thing is so thick. (And it won't work with a plain adaptall PK mount because there is nothing to remove there -- only the PKA will work, and possibly some generic knock-offs.) And I did not find it any better (slightly worse, actually) than the native Adaptall 1.4x on that lens, which is why I sold it since I have no other lenses it will fit on (including the adaptalls SP 200-500/5.6, SP 300/5.6, and the 70-350/4.5 I sold to you, as well as some other 200s I have around). I have picked up a Tair 300/4.5 in the meantime that looks like it will fit (it will fit on some m42s but not others depending on how thick the wall is on the interior of the screw mount.)

Of course, I was using it on a crop sensor, so maybe the edges that I wasn't seeing were better, or even though it could be made to fit, it is just not calibrated for the Tamron -- it may need a certain spacing or whatever for best results.

QuoteQuote:
I read someplace that it was designed more as an additional rear element group for the back of the lens than just a basic magnifier. From someone who used it for quite a while, it produces great results. For the OP, it would be great with your 250-600mm!!
No doubt. I was hoping for better results with the Tamron, but since the regular 1.4 TC seemed superior, I couldn't justify hanging on the the 1.4x-L with nothing to put it on...
05-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FWIW, I've bought from this seller in the past, and would do so again. He is reliable and the lenses I've bought - inc two different TC's - have been flawless.

05-01-2013, 07:06 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
the two lenses I would reccomend this converter for are bothlenses that I have owned or do own. This would the be the Pentax-A 300 f/2.8 and the Pentax-A 400 F/2.8

Somehow very fast long lenses have 'put a converter on me' written all over them. You add 40% to the focal length at the cost of 1 f stop that you probably weren't
going to use anyway.