Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Save $50 on the new Pentax WG-3!
Posted By: Adam, 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM

Need a rugged outdoor compact? The Pentax WG-3 is available for $50 off ($249) this month thanks to an instant rebate from Pentax!

wg-3| B&H Photo Video
pentax wg-3 : Buy or Learn at Adorama

Views: 2,423
05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Of course, there's the little matter of whether I really "need" this camera or not... I have a 5-year-old Olympus Tough camera that is still going strong and serves me well at the beach or poolside with pretty decent image quality in sunny conditions, although I am very interested in the f/2.0 lens (at 25mm wide angle), and 1080p video of the WG-3... just not sure it would worth spending $250 on that upgrade...
To me, having 60fps is more important than having 1080p. So I'd be recording at 720p if I had a WG-3.
Also, looks like the Olympus only does 30fps, so that's something for me to consider.

Last edited by Douge; 05-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.
05-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I had seen something on Facebook about a Good Morning Today promotion.

The $200 price includes
Kit Includes:
PENTAX WG-3 Camera
PENTAX Adventure Case
8GB SD Card
PENTAX Extended Warranty

Seems only to be the grey model.

QuoteOriginally posted by Douge Quote
I just saw that they have it at the pentax web store for $200. I think the deal is today only.
PentaxWebstore.com: GMA

"PENTAX WG-3 - w/ Case, 8 GB SD Card & Extended Warranty"

You have to enter promocode GMA at checkout.
(The website was kind of going down before but seems ok now)
05-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phillydad Quote
Seems only to be the grey model.
The orange one must have sold out already! It was available earlier this morning...
05-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Funny you guys should mention the TG-820 its on a 1 day sale right now (for another few hours) for $199 + FS Main Daily Deal, 1 Sale A Day
Hah, that's how I had the idea about looking into the TG-820 model to begin with! And once I started googling around about it and finding very positive reviews, I saw it was being offered refurbished on ebay for $148 and also refurbished at the official Olympus Outlet Store for $160 (free shipping). Anyway, from my research, looks like this might be a good choice for the cost... really tempted by the f/2.0 of the WG-3 though, although I've read several online reviews of the camera that have really panned it so it makes me hesitate.

05-03-2013, 11:04 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hah, that's how I had the idea about looking into the TG-820 model to begin with! And once I started googling around about it and finding very positive reviews, I saw it was being offered refurbished on ebay for $148 and also refurbished at the official Olympus Outlet Store for $160 (free shipping). Anyway, from my research, looks like this might be a good choice for the cost... really tempted by the f/2.0 of the WG-3 though, although I've read several online reviews of the camera that have really panned it so it makes me hesitate.
I was actually thinking about a Tough camera (Pentax or Oly) for my son, who is 12 and a bit rough on gear
05-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Looks like the Olympus Tough TG-820 fits the bill for you-- more compact, lighter than WG-3, and $50 cheaper. possibly better video quality too. If the WG-3's image quality is apparently noisy above ISO 200, and thus the camera is best used outdoors in sunny weather, what's the point of having an f/2.0 lens? I doubt there's much depth of field to be had such a small sensor.
The problem with the TG-820 is the maximum aperture for wide angle is a F/3.9. This is almost 2 stops slower than the Pentax WG-3. So while I can shoot a scene at ISO 100, you'll be shooting at a much noisier ISO 400. The point of the wider aperture for the compact is not for manipulation of DoF. It's for allowing lower ISO shooting. This is not as important if you're shooting broad daylight, but underwater things get dark fast.
05-03-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Curious-- What didn't you like about the TG-1? I thought it's basically very similar to the WG-3?
The TG-1 looked good on paper. But I really dislike the color rendering and the tone curves it applies to the JPEGs. I really like the colors and tone mapping of my Olympus XZ-1, so I was really disappointed by the TG-1 being so different.
05-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
The problem with the TG-820 is the maximum aperture for wide angle is a F/3.9. This is almost 2 stops slower than the Pentax WG-3. So while I can shoot a scene at ISO 100, you'll be shooting at a much noisier ISO 400. The point of the wider aperture for the compact is not for manipulation of DoF. It's for allowing lower ISO shooting. This is not as important if you're shooting broad daylight, but underwater things get dark fast.
The TG-1 looked good on paper. But I really dislike the color rendering and the tone curves it applies to the JPEGs. I really like the colors and tone mapping of my Olympus XZ-1, so I was really disappointed by the TG-1 being so different.
Excellent points, thanks for the insight. I may just give my son my old Sony bridge camera because its gathering dust and it is a pretty good 8mp camera - and it would cost me $0 to do so

05-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

BTW, looks like the GMA deal is sold out in either color! I wonder how many they actually had allocated to fulfill this deal.

Thanks, devorama, for the good points about the aperture making a difference. I'm actually not planning to use it underwater much, if ever, but I want something for the beach, the pool-side, the kid's spray-park, and anywhere else where the camera might get splashed on. If I really need f/2.0 in a compact camera, I'll reach for my Canon S95. But certainly, I wouldn't use my S95 under water or next to a giant ocean wave!
05-03-2013, 11:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

BTW, looks like the GMA deal is sold out in either color! I wonder how many they actually had allocated to fulfill this deal.

Thanks, devorama, for the good points about the aperture making a difference. I'm actually not planning to use it underwater much, if ever, but I want something for the beach, the pool-side, the kid's spray-park, and anywhere else where the camera might get splashed on. If I really need f/2.0 in a compact camera, I'll reach for my Canon S95. But certainly, I wouldn't use my S95 under water or next to a giant ocean wave!

Folks need to be careful because it will load into your cart but is over $400 and then over $300 with the GMA added. Sad that they are still taking orders, on the day of the deal, and are no longer honoring the deal. Typical Pentax, sorry but its getting old how they do these things.
05-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like they changed the GMA link to the Q10 now, and the promo code gives $100 off.

The WG-3 is showing up as $250 now.
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/37185

Last edited by Douge; 05-03-2013 at 12:41 PM.
05-03-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
Pentaxian

the original link now says at the top of the page: "The WG-2 GMA offer has sold out!"
05-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #28
Veteran Member

the original link now says at the top of the page: "The WG-2 GMA offer has sold out!"
Which is funny considering the deal was on the WG-3. :-)
05-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Which is funny considering the deal was on the WG-3. :-)
Too funny. Can't get good, competent help these days.