Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Pentax B Adapter M42 to K Mount in stock at Adorama
Posted By: Adam_T4, 05-03-2013, 02:56 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Today Adorama shipped me my genuine Pentax B Adapter to mount M42 screwmount lenses onto K mount cameras. Been hunting for one awhile now. B&H says they are discontinued and they go for up to $60 on eBay. Now I can start looking in earnest for a Helios 44 - which one was it that has the swirly boheh?
Pentax Adapter B - Adapts Pentax K Bodies to Screw Mount Lenses 30120
Views: 6,923
05-04-2013, 04:24 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Look, I know I'm the "Good Cheer" guy and I just had "The Talk" and everything - but - does anyone see the irony of raising NEW lens prices 10% or 15% and simultaneously shipping 20 dozen adapters so a few people can buy 50-year-old Takumars on eBay?
Adorama might have gotten them from a source other than Pentax USA.

And with these adapters selling for $60 on eBay you know they weren't going to last at $30...

05-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Not this morning.
No, and I got a "so sorry" email from them telling me that they can not fulfill my order (the one I placed for 1 adapter).
05-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No, and I got a "so sorry" email from them telling me that they can not fulfill my order (the one I placed for 1 adapter).
I got the same email this morning also
05-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #19

Why not buy the adapters available on ebay ?

I read this forum, and while I understand that genuine accessories do make a world of difference, I was wondering why one can not or should not buy a no brand name Chinese made adapter that comes with some sort of tool with it and is available for $5 ??

Here is a link to one I found but there are plenty and look same as one from B&H photo.

M42 Lens to PK Pentax K Mount Adapter Focus Infinity for K10D K20D KM K7 K200D | eBay

Please note that I am new to the forum and just bought a Pentax K-30 from B&H (more on my store in introduction post I guess? )

05-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Xenocarcinus Quote
I read this forum, and while I understand that genuine accessories do make a world of difference, I was wondering why one can not or should not buy a no brand name Chinese made adapter that comes with some sort of tool with it and is available for $5 ??

Here is a link to one I found but there are plenty and look same as one from B&H photo.

M42 Lens to PK Pentax K Mount Adapter Focus Infinity for K10D K20D KM K7 K200D | eBay

Please note that I am new to the forum and just bought a Pentax K-30 from B&H (more on my store in introduction post I guess? )
You will notice that the eBay adapters have a tool to remove the adapter. The genuine Pentax adapter does not need a tool. The eBay adapters have a different spring clip design. They also have several other potential traps. The screw that holds the spring clip in is often too long and can engage the threads of the lens making it impossible to remove. The cut out for the spring clip is also too wide, the A/M lock pin on a SMC Tak can get stuck making it very difficult to remove. Finally they are often poorly machined, and sometimes the lens will end up mounted upside down.
05-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by Xenocarcinus Quote

Welcome to the Pentax Forums.

The problem with these third party adapters is they have a tendency to jam. Some times it is just the adapter. Sometimes the lens won't unscrew after being mounted on the camera. The typical solution is to remove the spring clip from the adapter and leave the ring screwed on to the lens. Friction alone is usually enough to keep the adapter in place however it could shift when focusing or turning the aperture ring. As long as you are aware of these problems a third party adapter could work out for you.
05-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #22

You will notice that the eBay adapters have a tool to remove the adapter. The genuine Pentax adapter does not need a tool. The eBay adapters have a different spring clip design. They also have several other potential traps. The screw that holds the spring clip in is often too long and can engage the threads of the lens making it impossible to remove. The cut out for the spring clip is also too wide, the A/M lock pin on a SMC Tak can get stuck making it very difficult to remove. Finally they are often poorly machined, and sometimes the lens will end up mounted upside down.

Thank you very much for the reply !

While it is useful info it also breaks my heart as it would cost $29 + $59 so almost $80 to ship it to India.... I just cant afford that

05-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I ordered mine from B&H in December and it shipped out yesterday :P When I ordered it they said they expected it to ship in two weeks
05-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Douge Quote
I ordered mine from B&H in December and it shipped out yesterday :P When I ordered it they said they expected it to ship in two weeks
Talk about the patience of Job!!
05-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #25

Just remove the spring clip, they work fine. I have a few of these, some are better than others but for the difference in price you can just order a few and use the best ones. I'd never pay 30-60 bucks for the Pentax one, that's just silly.
05-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #26
Inactive Account

++ what was said about removing clip. Since these are so inexpensive, you can just mount one of these rings (minus the clip) to each of your M42 lenses and mount them just like a normal K-mount lens.

Optional (but very handy) would be to file and/or drill a small hole/slot ON the M42 lens flange (that you really like ..) so that it will also lock into place on your K-mount body!
05-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

$60!!! Once upon a time every eBay Takumar lens I bought seemed to come with one in the box. I'd sell them for $15 First Class Mail. If I had held them my inventory cost-of-carry would have been ..... ZERO
05-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bass3587 Quote
Talk about the patience of Job!!
lol, good thing I didn't cancel my order.

It was also $30 back in december =\ But better than what they were going for on ebay.
05-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #29

I didn't want to speak until now of course, but look what I got for 10 bucks!

Genuine Pentax Mount Adapter K 30120 Japan in Original Package w Instructions | eBay

:-)
05-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #30

since we are on the subject, what in the world are these things and why one should not buy these ??

Camera New M42 Lens to PK Adapter Ring for Pentax K x K 7 K M K20D | eBay

I dont want to sound like a total d*ck, I am just new to this phenomenon and dont want to do anything that would ruin the camera.