Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
  #1
2 Day Only SSD Sale at NewEgg
Posted By: Docrwm, 05-04-2013, 08:12 AM



Very highly rated Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) now <$1 per GB.
  • 2.5"
  • 240GB
  • SATA III

Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $239.99 with Free Shipping in the US
Views: 1,160
05-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
SSD - the future. I LOVE mine!
05-04-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Banned




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Millstone,NJ
Posts: 6,491
I purchased the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro over four months ago from B&H for $229 w/FS and it was the fastest consumer/client 2.5" SSD back then and it looks like it still is . BTW Newegg has it for $219.99.

SSD Ranking: The Fastest Solid State Drives 2013

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193
05-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I purchased the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro over four months ago from B&H for $229 w/FS and it was the fastest consumer/client 2.5" SSD back then and it looks like it still is . BTW Newegg has it for $219.99.

SSD Ranking: The Fastest Solid State Drives 2013

SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Newegg.com

Good to know, thanks.

05-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
SSD - the future. I LOVE mine!
Me too! The one best upgrade I've ever done to my computer.
05-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian
panoguy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,279
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Me too! The one best upgrade I've ever done to my computer.
I'd love to have the speed of an SSD, but given my storage needs, "life begins at 2TB."
05-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'd love to have the speed of an SSD, but given my storage needs, "life begins at 2TB."
I'm still working toward 1TB myself - that's why I use the SSD drive just for my OS and programs. Everything else is on desperate hard drives.
05-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,463
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I'm still working toward 1TB myself - that's why I use the SSD drive just for my OS and programs. Everything else is on desperate hard drives.
Exactly!!! I have 9T of storage not counting my SSD.



05-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'd love to have the speed of an SSD, but given my storage needs, "life begins at 2TB."
I've got a box with 2x 3TB + 1x2TB + 1x1.5TB drives in it but the computer itself has a 1TB bood drive. The OS and associated programs don't need the 256GB and the SSD could serve as the boot and main program home drive while all associated file storage could be tasked to the other, traditional, hard drives. Thus yielding faster boot times and more consistent performance with greater longevity and reliability for the operating system.
05-04-2013, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member
PBandJ's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington DC metro area
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 480
I bought an optical drive hard disk drive thingamajob on that auction site for about $8. I replaced my laptop hard drive with an SSD. Then I took that hard drive and put it in that thing, and replaced the DVD burner with that. So I boot off the SSD and have 500mb internal storage so I'm not tied to external drives all the time.
This similar to what I bought:
Add a 2nd HDD using the CD/DVD Optical Drive Bay : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks
But this seller is 5x the auction price
05-04-2013, 11:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 301
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I'd love to have the speed of an SSD, but given my storage needs, "life begins at 2TB."
There's also these Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drives.
Seagate Momentus XT (750GB) Review & Rating | PCMag.com
And their newer version:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/150004-seagate-launches-new-hybrid-hard...entus-xt-brand

QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I bought an optical drive hard disk drive thingamajob on that auction site for about $8. I replaced my laptop hard drive with an SSD. Then I took that hard drive and put it in that thing, and replaced the DVD burner with that. So I boot off the SSD and have 500mb internal storage so I'm not tied to external drives all the time.
This similar to what I bought:
Add a 2nd HDD using the CD/DVD Optical Drive Bay : NewmodeUS, Hard Drive Caddys for Notebooks
But this seller is 5x the auction price
Oh neat! I've never seen those before. Nice solution to have with an SSD
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax deals, ssd
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lightroom - 99.97 - newegg.com - Today only - Noon -1pm Pacific Time davidreilly3207 Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 6 01-05-2013 09:40 PM
WG-2 $160 + FS at Newegg Docrwm Pentax Price Watch 4 12-22-2012 05:19 PM
Elements 9 at Amazon, 1 day sale royden Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 2 08-28-2011 08:58 AM
15% off all DSLRs at Newegg today only ! jogiba Pentax News and Rumors 29 11-13-2010 06:30 PM
For Sale - Sold: ONE DAY ONLY SALE - FA 77 Limited $650, D-BG2 grip (K10/K20) $50!!! (Worldwide ll_coffee_lP Sold Items 3 11-07-2010 05:25 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top