Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Such a Deal! At Adorama for $149 that's $150 off!
Posted By: Docrwm, 05-10-2013, 07:54 PM

Pentax O-CC120 Camera Pouch for Pentax K-01 Digital Camera 38909

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-10-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Views: 1,608
05-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I first saw that last month listed for $300 I just couldn't imagine what the marketing minds at pentax/ricoh were thinking. Surely they did not actually plan on selling any....so what was the purpose besides the cost of producing and listing something consumers would laugh at? Does anyone give a rats butt that Marc has his name stamped on it? That said, I like the case and as soon as it hits $14.95 I will be all over it.
05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
as soon as it hits $14.95 i will be all over it.
Perfect!! I waited to get a K-01 til the price dropped to $250 and now I can get a simple leather pouch for it for $150! What a steal!
05-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax apparently had a similar idea with the leather case for the Q. $99.99 Then they popped up on a clearance site for $1.99. The clearance site apparently oversold by a factor of 2, 3, 10 .... who knows, but a couple of weeks later they sent out emails saying that they could not fulfill the orders (apparently Pentax did not even know how many they had to sell). I wish Pentax would stop this pricing stupidity, evaluate the actual market and price accordingly, rather than engage in wishful thinking.

05-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

When I saw the thread title I thought someone was selling Adorama...
05-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yup real bargin :/ - I saw on Andorama that they sell their K01 kits with pouches which is pretty cool.
05-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #7
Lens Buying Addict

They weren't really intended to be sold ..........

What's the big deal? The K-01 was a decent idea that missed the market.

Pentax has always made Limited Edition accessories that are never intended to be used, in much the same way they've made Limited Edition ridiculously expensive cameras and lenses. LX Gold, LX2000, Titanium, Grand Prix K10D. Much of the time they didn't even intend to sell them - they were "released," so a value was established, but most of the actual items were given away to their best customers and other important people.

The idea was to make an extra $100,000, $250,000, $whatever on a one-off item - and why not?. Any profit goes straight to the bottom line. Watches are the same thing - few will buy them, but there are those who want them and do buy them. Eventually these items become a cult-ish sort of specialty brand awareness collectible item. I have several KX (Film) items given to me about 15 years ago that I've never seen even on eBay.

These were intended for just 300 wealthy, primarily Japanese collectors. If the K-01 had been a bit, most of these would have been part of a "Presentation" package given away.

Hoya messed up the equation with their Limited Edition and Special Edition K-7's, but Hoya messed up everything else, too. We've been over the K-01 marketing errors 1000 times here - clearly had the K-01 become a hit some of these would have sold at issue price. The rest would have had enough cache to serve as gifts. Now they just represent the last mistake made by Hoya, so they're clearing the stock - probably not released of paying Newson the licensing fee.
05-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
What's the big deal? The K-01 was a decent idea that missed the market.

Pentax has always made Limited Edition accessories that are never intended to be used, in much the same way they've made Limited Edition ridiculously expensive cameras and lenses. LX Gold, LX2000, Titanium, Grand Prix K10D. Much of the time they didn't even intend to sell them - they were "released," so a value was established, but most of the actual items were given away to their best customers and other important people.

The idea was to make an extra $100,000, $250,000, $whatever on a one-off item - and why not?. Any profit goes straight to the bottom line. Watches are the same thing - few will buy them, but there are those who want them and do buy them. Eventually these items become a cult-ish sort of specialty brand awareness collectible item. I have several KX (Film) items given to me about 15 years ago that I've never seen even on eBay.

These were intended for just 300 wealthy, primarily Japanese collectors. If the K-01 had been a bit, most of these would have been part of a "Presentation" package given away.

Hoya messed up the equation with their Limited Edition and Special Edition K-7's, but Hoya messed up everything else, too. We've been over the K-01 marketing errors 1000 times here - clearly had the K-01 become a hit some of these would have sold at issue price. The rest would have had enough cache to serve as gifts. Now they just represent the last mistake made by Hoya, so they're clearing the stock - probably not released of paying Newson the licensing fee.
I marvel at your ability to remain positive at every turn. I am utterly convinced that you can easily sell a load of broken refrigerators to Eskimos with full disclosure.

05-13-2013, 06:09 AM   #9
klh
Site Supporter

MSRP of $299.95. The only way this price would make sense is if the K-01 were included.

Last edited by klh; 05-13-2013 at 06:39 AM.
05-13-2013, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #10
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
I marvel at your ability to remain positive at every turn. I am utterly convinced that you can easily sell a load of broken refrigerators to Eskimos with full disclosure.
I don't read anything positive whatsoever in my comment other than a general understanding of how a profit-making business works, which is sorely lacking on this Forum. I also refuse to approach every single little page of the internet that has the word "Pentax" on it as an opportunity to make a snarky, depressive, negative post (or a manic FF speculation).

If by positive you mean the absence of reflexive negative, well then I am guilty as charged - different Weltanschaaung, I guess.

I just don't understand the purpose of a PentaxForum that does nothing but complain about the subject of its existence unless complaining is the object of its existence (in which case I no longer belong here).
05-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't read anything positive whatsoever in my comment other than a general understanding of how a profit-making business works, which is sorely lacking on this Forum. I also refuse to approach every single little page of the internet that has the word "Pentax" on it as an opportunity to make a snarky, depressive, negative post (or a manic FF speculation).

If by positive you mean the absence of reflexive negative, well then I am guilty as charged - different Weltanschaaung, I guess.

I just don't understand the purpose of a PentaxForum that does nothing but complain about the subject of its existence unless complaining is the object of its existence (in which case I no longer belong here).

I agree with monochrome. It's ok to be upset with pentax for not giving us what we want. We all feel that way at times. Hopefully we are here because we like our cameras ( I think) and are trying to get the most out of them by hearing from experiences of others.