Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3TB 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HDD with 64MB Cache $109.99 w/promo code
Posted By: jogiba, 05-27-2013, 06:52 AM

24 hour sale from Newegg email :

"Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive $109.99 With Promo Code: EMCYTZT3504
Free Shipping!
Shop Now "

Seagate Barracuda ST3000DM001 3TB Cache SATA Internal Hard Drive - Newegg.com
Views: 2,289
05-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #2
Banned

Original Poster
I just looked at the reviews and it has 22% 1 star reviews so forget about this HDD.
05-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sadly the reviews are pretty brutal.
05-27-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seagate aren't what they used to be (which was pretty bulletproof, but then they got bought and just kind of gave up...)!

05-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is a devastating review by someone that is a verified buy and bought 5 of them:

Pros: - Fast
- CAPACITY
- Buffer Size
- Makes big RAID arrays much easier
Cons: - 5 Drives Ordered
- 1 dead within a week
- 1 DOA
- Seagate does not care
Other Thoughts: I'll keep this simple. We needed to build a RAID array with about 8TB of space and room for growth. We got the QNAP-TS870U 8 bay NAS. We bought 4 of these Seagate drives. 12TB, 8TB after RAID5 and room to add 8TB more with 4 more bays open. Great. Within one week, we got a message that one of the drives failed. QNAP device was awesome - no data loss, proactive notification, stands ready to add back in new drive.
At this point I'm ok - anyone can have a drive fail. I RMA the drive (thanks NewEgg for great RMA process) and also decide we should have a spare drive just for these situations. I order ANOTHER of these drives so it will get here faster than the RMA will take. The 5th drive arrives and it is DOA. Will not load in the NAS, will not mount on the desktop, SeaTools nor any other Seagate software will find it.
I online chat with Seagate support. They are nice, but unhelpful. They eventually punt and say I need to contact voice support. Voice support answers quickly, I'll give them that. After that, I might as well have been talking to a wall. They agree the drive needs to be returned. I stress to them that I am in a bad situation because of 2 out of 5 Seagate drives being defective. I ask for advance replacement (send me new drive before they get the return. They agree but tell me it will be 5 days before I get the new drive!
At this point I'm staring at a RAID 5 NAS in a degrade state, totally unprotected. It is due to Seagate drives being bad (2 of 5!). They will not even OFFER me a next day replacement. They offered me a $9.95 option - and I thought ok, THAT will be next day. I was wrong. It was for a pre-paid return box. I can get cheaper shipping, thank you.
I would even PAY for next day delivery. I would not be HAPPY about it, but I would do it. They will not offer it. The "warehouse" controls shipping and no one can talk to the warehouse. Not them, not me - no one.

Seagate - this is no way to treat customers who have put their name behind your product (as I have done with my company) and are being made to look foolish when the best we can do is 5 days to get our RAID array back to a healthy/protected state.

I love these drives IN THEORY. I will not be buying any more. WD here I come...
05-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Seagate aren't what they used to be (which was pretty bulletproof, but then they got bought and just kind of gave up...)!
They got bought by which company? I thought Seagate was the one that acquired others (Maxstore, Samsung HDD division, etc.), not the opposite.
05-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
They got bought by which company? I thought Seagate was the one that acquired others (Maxstore, Samsung HDD division, etc.), not the opposite.
Silver Lake Partners - private investment bankers. They no longer have shareholders to respond to... the crappy drives started coming out 2 or 3 years after that (even before they bought Maxstor).

05-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Silver Lake Partners - private investment bankers. They no longer have shareholders to respond to... the crappy drives started coming out 2 or 3 years after that (even before they bought Maxstor).
Seagate was traded for most of its life as a public company under the symbol "SGAT" on the NASDAQ system, then moved to the NYSE system under the symbol "SEG" in the 1990s. In 2000, Seagate incorporated in the Cayman Islands in order to reduce income taxes. In 2000, the company was taken private by an investment group composed of Seagate management, Silver Lake Partners, Texas Pacific Group and others in a three-way merger-spinoff with Veritas Software; Veritas merged with Seagate, which was bought by the investment group. Veritas was then immediately spun off to shareholders, gaining rights to Seagate Software Network and Storage Management Group (with products such as Backup Exec), as well as Seagate's shares in SanDisk and Dragon Systems. Seagate Software Information Management Group was renamed Crystal Decisions in May 2001. Seagate re-entered the public market in December 2002 on the NASDAQ as "STX." They reincorporated in 2010 in Ireland.
05-27-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Well, I stand corrected. It's been a long time since I knew people at their MN office. They are public again, so buy their drives (and stock) if you want to. Personally, I now prefer Hitachi. I recently had another 2TB Seagate (overstock from my old employer) go on me, and since the replacement is on my dime...
05-27-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
Closed Account

I've had two Seagate drives in the past and both died on my.
05-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Well, I stand corrected. It's been a long time since I knew people at their MN office. They are public again, so buy their drives (and stock) if you want to. Personally, I now prefer Hitachi. I recently had another 2TB Seagate (overstock from my old employer) go on me, and since the replacement is on my dime...
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (Hitachi GST) manufactures computer hard drives. There are 3 main ranges: Hitachi Travelstar, Hitachi Deskstar, and Hitachi Ultrastar.
On March 7, 2011 Hitachi Global Storage Technologies was purchased by Western Digital Corporation for $3.5 billion in cash and $750 million in Western Digital common stock.[18]
05-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone can have a bad drive, or even a bad drive model. But over the years of managing a site with 25 plus computers I have had an appalling record with Seagate. None, zero of the Seagate drives survived more than two years, several died within months. Computers with WD drives were still running when I left after 7 years.

Maybe just bad luck, who knows. But I will never buy a Seagate drive. I also don't try to balance on the top of a railing above a 200 foot cliff, I might be just fine but it is just not worth the risk.
05-27-2013, 11:21 AM   #13

In ten years of computer building, I've only ever had two drives go bad on me. Both were Seagate.
05-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #14
Veteran Member

So wait, do we like seagate....or not??
05-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Hard drives are like mobile phone carriers.

The absolutely unquestionably worst one is the one you have.