Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
"The Most Annoying" thing about KEH
Posted By: tzrenz0, 06-11-2013, 07:28 AM

They can't provide pictures of the actual product that they are selling. >.<

FA 85mm f/1.4
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Autofocus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-AP06999038520R?r=FE

If only I have the money for this!
Views: 2,562
06-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most annoying thing about KEH is the Buy side.
06-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like a bargain to me! Seriously, I wouldn't worry about the condition of the lens from KEH. Unless they say it's ugly (a rating of UG), they say whatever defects it has "should not affect picture quality." Trust them on that. They're extremely strict with their ratings. They rarely sell "ugly" glass anyway; they just dump their junk lenses as lots on eBay.

I'm only frustrated by a lack of picture when they list a lens like "28 2.8 MISCELLANEOUS BRAND." How am I supposed to know what the heck that is?
06-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hahahaha. Never tried any of their BGN before, either EX+, EX or LN-. FA* are so prone to scratches. It's just me, I like my lenses looking immaculate specially when I'm paying the premium. Premium in pentax sense.

06-11-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote

I'm only frustrated by a lack of picture when they list a lens like "28 2.8 MISCELLANEOUS BRAND." How am I supposed to know what the heck that is?
and that too!
06-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... I'm only frustrated by a lack of picture when they list a lens like "28 2.8 MISCELLANEOUS BRAND." How am I supposed to know what the heck that is?
That one irks me, too ... a "miscellaneous brand" listing ... J
06-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never bought a "miscellaneous brand" item from KEH, but a quick phone call might resolve the problem. Remember that the person you speak to might have to call you back, since they aren't necessarily able to put their hands immediately on the item. Their folk will watch for an item and call you when it comes in; I did that for the "Bargain" LX I bought. The camera has a little brassing and a few light scratches. Used, but not abused. No dents, works perfectly and the price was right at about $170. Made me a happy camper.
06-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
an LX for $170? sweet ^_^

06-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
I've never bought a "miscellaneous brand" item from KEH, but a quick phone call might resolve the problem. Remember that the person you speak to might have to call you back, since they aren't necessarily able to put their hands immediately on the item. Their folk will watch for an item and call you when it comes in; I did that for the "Bargain" LX I bought. The camera has a little brassing and a few light scratches. Used, but not abused. No dents, works perfectly and the price was right at about $170. Made me a happy camper.
Yes, they have a very good team manning the phones. I see you live in the Metro area; did you know they offer $7 two-day shipping for local customers? It's only available if you order by phone. I grew up around Atlanta. It was really nice to have them so close.

Now, I live down the street from C.R.I.S.
06-11-2013, 08:28 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I bought two lenses on KEH in EX condition... one was a Tak 1.4 50mm...glass was very yellowed. They wouldn't take it back for some reason.

The other was a 135 3.5 M lens. It had some fungus. They took it back. I won't shop there again.

That and Canadian shipping sucks. Mostly because they use UPS who charges an arm and a leg.

B+H though has been awesome grabbed an LX for $200 and it's a solid 8-10 condition wise aesthetically and works like a dream once I figured out how thr meter works.
06-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, they have a very good team manning the phones. I see you live in the Metro area; did you know they offer $7 two-day shipping for local customers? It's only available if you order by phone. I grew up around Atlanta. It was really nice to have them so close.

Now, I live down the street from C.R.I.S.
Yep, that cheap, quick shipping is really handy. Truly, they are enablers, though, for the LBA or CBA problem. Any 12 step programs out there?

Down the street from CRIS, huh. Wish I were down the street from Eric so I'd get off my duff and get my two MX bodies and my AsahiFlex worked on.

BTW, glad to see you're still with us after the news report of your cycling "incident." Gotta watch heavy clothing in the heat!
06-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought a couple of BGNs and one UGly. Yes a few tiny marks on the front element of the ugly SMC-A 24 but it cost about $100 less than the average price in our review section so I find that fair. And I don't own the equipment I would need to show how those marks affect the image, all shots are excellent to my eye.

And yes I mis-bought a Miscellaneous 100-300 from them - grrr but my fault really, the f/5.6-6.7 showed it was not what I thought it was. If I read everything at keh & x-refer to the web, much of the Misc confusion clears up.
06-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Yep, that cheap, quick shipping is really handy. Truly, they are enablers, though, for the LBA or CBA problem. Any 12 step programs out there?

Down the street from CRIS, huh. Wish I were down the street from Eric so I'd get off my duff and get my two MX bodies and my AsahiFlex worked on.

BTW, glad to see you're still with us after the news report of your cycling "incident." Gotta watch heavy clothing in the heat!
Yeah, it's probably good I got away from there! C.R.I.S. is only good for working on the gear I already have. Much safer that way.

Oh yeah, that post. It's been consistently hotter than 110 since last Friday, but I'm slowly getting used to it. There are blurbs in the paper every Monday about idiots weekend hikers running out of water on South Mountain and needing helicopter to come and save them.

It's fine as long as you're prepared. I've found the heat's not the worst danger to my life. Last week, a minivan struck me while I was going through a green light in the bike lane. I somehow escaped without injury, but the driver just drove off. I hope I dented and scratched the $%#@ out of their van.

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I've bought a couple of BGNs and one UGly. Yes a few tiny marks on the front element of the ugly SMC-A 24 but it cost about $100 less than the average price in our review section so I find that fair. And I don't own the equipment I would need to show how those marks affect the image, all shots are excellent to my eye.

And yes I mis-bought a Miscellaneous 100-300 from them - grrr but my fault really, the f/5.6-6.7 showed it was not what I thought it was. If I read everything at keh & x-refer to the web, much of the Misc confusion clears up.
Marks on the front element aren't a big deal. The rear element is more important. Also, they always list the filter diameter, too, which is sometimes helpful in identifying a lens.
06-11-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I have purchased bargain condition from them in the past and have been very satisfied with the way they underrate their lenses. Which lead me (along with LBA) to order a M85 f2 in bargain condition yesterday morning!
06-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I bought two lenses on KEH in EX condition... one was a Tak 1.4 50mm...glass was very yellowed. They wouldn't take it back for some reason.

The other was a 135 3.5 M lens. It had some fungus. They took it back. I won't shop there again.

That and Canadian shipping sucks. Mostly because they use UPS who charges an arm and a leg.

B+H though has been awesome grabbed an LX for $200 and it's a solid 8-10 condition wise aesthetically and works like a dream once I figured out how thr meter works.

Perhaps that yellowed TAK was one of the radioactive ones and that's why they didn't want it back.

I do concur with you on the UPS charges; been hearing a lot about that lately. My only gripe with them was a FA 77 I just purchased from them that came via Fedex. It wasn't until it had already shipped that I discovered it needed a signature and would arrive on a day nobody would be home. The next day was a Saturday & I was able to hang around until it finally arrived. Then I took a little time to fondle my very first Limited and then off to test it out on my 7 month-old grand-daughter.