Views: 10,467
07-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's a good lens just not needed for my wedding photography

07-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by ClinchShots Quote
It's a good lens just not needed for my wedding photography
then i hope theres nothing wrong with mine then. its just bad sharpness...
07-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
this is my first dslr and even with my very limited knowledge i could see that this was NOT a good lens. 50mm @5.6 is worse than my 3-4 year old point and shoot in terms of sharpness. Whenever i try to focus in smaller objects (flowers, bees, etc) i couldn't get it 100% sharp no matter what.
I got a 50mm 1.7 to see how it goes.
I am also considering a 135mm... but not sure if i will need this badly as this will be a totally new focal length for me
It's a very mediocre lens, but it is weatherproof and it is fully automatic. I've seen some good pictures posted here, so it's useful under the right conditions - lots of light, no need for speed or narrow DOF. And it's not worth very much to sell. So I figure I'll hang onto mine for rainy days. Although if I already had a lens collection, I'd have sold mine immediately, like ClinchShots says he is going to do. Or if I would have seen the body only for the same or lower price, I would have done that.

I wish they had a prime for the kit lens. It seems like the DA 35 2.4 is close in price (a little more, I guess). I suppose there's a feeling that people want more versatile lenses in their kits; i.e.: zooms. And if it's your first camera, it's probably not a bad idea to try focal lengths to see what you like.

I think the best way to think about it is that we got the lens for free.
07-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
And if it's your first camera, it's probably not a bad idea to try focal lengths to see what you like.
yeah.. using the kit lens, i immediately found myself wanting to go 50mm (which is why i ordered the 50 1.7

for the price (body only vs kit) it was a no brainer. The body only price and kit was the same, so not a hard question .
So if you consider the price (free) is good i guess.

07-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
yeah.. using the kit lens, i immediately found myself wanting to go 50mm (which is why i ordered the 50 1.7

for the price (body only vs kit) it was a no brainer. The body only price and kit was the same, so not a hard question .
So if you consider the price (free) is good i guess.
Yeah, I think it's worth what we paid for it.
07-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
It's a very mediocre lens, but it is weatherproof and it is fully automatic. I've seen some good pictures posted here, so it's useful under the right conditions - lots of light, no need for speed or narrow DOF. And it's not worth very much to sell. So I figure I'll hang onto mine for rainy days. Although if I already had a lens collection, I'd have sold mine immediately, like ClinchShots says he is going to do. Or if I would have seen the body only for the same or lower price, I would have done that.

I wish they had a prime for the kit lens. It seems like the DA 35 2.4 is close in price (a little more, I guess). I suppose there's a feeling that people want more versatile lenses in their kits; i.e.: zooms. And if it's your first camera, it's probably not a bad idea to try focal lengths to see what you like.

I think the best way to think about it is that we got the lens for free.
It is a decent lens when you need a short zoom. My copy seems plenty sharp as well.

The K-30 focuses it pretty fast even in not very good lighting. And with a good flash, it works just fine for inside shots. When inside, I generally use it at f5.6 and ISO 200 with my flash (Nikon SB-26).

You really can't compare it to a 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 though if you are wanting shallower depth of field.
07-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Curious if anyone has ordered this for cross-border shipping to Canada (Vancouver, to be specific)? Just wondering if I'm gonna be hit hard by shipping and duties. In which case, maybe it would be a better idea to have it shipped to Bellingham, WA, pick it up from there, and hope and pray the border guards don't get all strict on my @$$.
07-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arsn.r3d Quote
Curious if anyone has ordered this for cross-border shipping to Canada (Vancouver, to be specific)? Just wondering if I'm gonna be hit hard by shipping and duties. In which case, maybe it would be a better idea to have it shipped to Bellingham, WA, pick it up from there, and hope and pray the border guards don't get all strict on my @$$.

Standard ground shipping is free to 48 states. I am willing to bet that they won't fudge the customs form so you are going to pay. Take a camera and bag with you and return with the same. What happens in WA stays in WA. Now the tough nut to crack may be the different CC billing address and the shipping address as this is a part of checkout. A WA CC would solve that problem.

07-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #54

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Standard ground shipping is free to 48 states. I am willing to bet that they won't fudge the customs form so you are going to pay. Take a camera and bag with you and return with the same. What happens in WA stays in WA. Now the tough nut to crack may be the different CC billing address and the shipping address as this is a part of checkout. A WA CC would solve that problem.
shipping to a different address than billing was almost impossible.
Cross country address will make it even harder.
Just ask them if they will ship to Canada??
07-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #55
Site Supporter

I don't know if Hunt's will ship to Canada - and I'd be interested to know! But for Canadians, amazon.ca has this combo currently at $599 with free shipping. It's also available in white or blue. You're likely to pay more tax however...
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Yeah..I guess with the new items, it's always "pay up" on the duties/taxes huh. The used lenses I bought from the US have been kinda hit or miss (some got charged taxes, some not). As for the shipping to WA, my cousin (also from Vancouver, BC) orders stuff from B&H and US retailers all the time and he has 'em shipped to some sort of PO Box or receiving service in Bellingham. I'll have to get the name of that service again...but for me, it's just a longer drive to the border, so I'm debating if the gas money will be worth the "savings" on shipping/duties.
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I don't know if Hunt's will ship to Canada - and I'd be interested to know! But for Canadians, amazon.ca has this combo currently at $599 with free shipping. It's also available in white or blue. You're likely to pay more tax however...
Thanks, I saw that too. Sucks that we always gotta pay more up north eh? Retail price, tax, everything! Boo-urns!
07-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #58

posted in error...
07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #59
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arsn.r3d Quote
[...] my cousin (also from Vancouver, BC) orders stuff from B&H and US retailers all the time and he has 'em shipped to some sort of PO Box or receiving service in Bellingham.
We are veering slightly offtopic. However, large online retailers like B&H and Adorama have brokerage deals with the package carriers and will show you the exact total when ordering and shipping items from the US to Canada. My K-01 was ordered from B&H and shipped to Montreal. There were no extra fees when receiving the item. Much more useful info on this topic can be found here.

However, it's unlikely that Hunt's has such a deal, which means it's possible to be hit by largish brokerage fees (& taxes) if you have them ship you something in Canada. The Amazon Canada deal at $599 is $100 more than Hunt's price though, so there's some margin to play with. If Hunt's are willing to ship USPS to Canada, it might still wind up quite a bit cheaper than the (not bad) amazon.ca price...
07-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #60
Site Supporter

BTW, I just noticed the following text on Hunt's cart page: "Please Note: We only accept online orders from within the U.S. and Canada. Orders being shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada must be sent via 1 or 2 day AIR delivery."