Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  
$499 Pentax K30 with 18-55 WR lens - Hunt's
Posted By: goshxii, 06-25-2013, 05:20 AM

K-30 Digital SLR with18-55 WR Lens (Black) - $499.95
http://www.huntsphotoandvideo.com/detail_page.cfm?productid=15601&mfg=Pentax
Views: 10,467
07-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member
ClinchShots's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 437
It's a good lens just not needed for my wedding photography

07-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #47
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by ClinchShots Quote
It's a good lens just not needed for my wedding photography
then i hope theres nothing wrong with mine then. its just bad sharpness...
07-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #48
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
this is my first dslr and even with my very limited knowledge i could see that this was NOT a good lens. 50mm @5.6 is worse than my 3-4 year old point and shoot in terms of sharpness. Whenever i try to focus in smaller objects (flowers, bees, etc) i couldn't get it 100% sharp no matter what.
I got a 50mm 1.7 to see how it goes.
I am also considering a 135mm... but not sure if i will need this badly as this will be a totally new focal length for me
It's a very mediocre lens, but it is weatherproof and it is fully automatic. I've seen some good pictures posted here, so it's useful under the right conditions - lots of light, no need for speed or narrow DOF. And it's not worth very much to sell. So I figure I'll hang onto mine for rainy days. Although if I already had a lens collection, I'd have sold mine immediately, like ClinchShots says he is going to do. Or if I would have seen the body only for the same or lower price, I would have done that.

I wish they had a prime for the kit lens. It seems like the DA 35 2.4 is close in price (a little more, I guess). I suppose there's a feeling that people want more versatile lenses in their kits; i.e.: zooms. And if it's your first camera, it's probably not a bad idea to try focal lengths to see what you like.

I think the best way to think about it is that we got the lens for free.
07-27-2013, 07:53 PM   #49
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
And if it's your first camera, it's probably not a bad idea to try focal lengths to see what you like.
yeah.. using the kit lens, i immediately found myself wanting to go 50mm (which is why i ordered the 50 1.7

for the price (body only vs kit) it was a no brainer. The body only price and kit was the same, so not a hard question .
So if you consider the price (free) is good i guess.

07-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #50
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
QuoteOriginally posted by jrcastillo Quote
yeah.. using the kit lens, i immediately found myself wanting to go 50mm (which is why i ordered the 50 1.7

for the price (body only vs kit) it was a no brainer. The body only price and kit was the same, so not a hard question .
So if you consider the price (free) is good i guess.
Yeah, I think it's worth what we paid for it.
07-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #51
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 422
QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
It's a very mediocre lens, but it is weatherproof and it is fully automatic. I've seen some good pictures posted here, so it's useful under the right conditions - lots of light, no need for speed or narrow DOF. And it's not worth very much to sell. So I figure I'll hang onto mine for rainy days. Although if I already had a lens collection, I'd have sold mine immediately, like ClinchShots says he is going to do. Or if I would have seen the body only for the same or lower price, I would have done that.

I wish they had a prime for the kit lens. It seems like the DA 35 2.4 is close in price (a little more, I guess). I suppose there's a feeling that people want more versatile lenses in their kits; i.e.: zooms. And if it's your first camera, it's probably not a bad idea to try focal lengths to see what you like.

I think the best way to think about it is that we got the lens for free.
It is a decent lens when you need a short zoom. My copy seems plenty sharp as well.

The K-30 focuses it pretty fast even in not very good lighting. And with a good flash, it works just fine for inside shots. When inside, I generally use it at f5.6 and ISO 200 with my flash (Nikon SB-26).

You really can't compare it to a 50mm 1.4 or 1.7 though if you are wanting shallower depth of field.
07-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #52
Veteran Member
arsn.r3d's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 303
Curious if anyone has ordered this for cross-border shipping to Canada (Vancouver, to be specific)? Just wondering if I'm gonna be hit hard by shipping and duties. In which case, maybe it would be a better idea to have it shipped to Bellingham, WA, pick it up from there, and hope and pray the border guards don't get all strict on my @$$.
07-29-2013, 06:10 AM   #53
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central Kentucky
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,415
QuoteOriginally posted by arsn.r3d Quote
Curious if anyone has ordered this for cross-border shipping to Canada (Vancouver, to be specific)? Just wondering if I'm gonna be hit hard by shipping and duties. In which case, maybe it would be a better idea to have it shipped to Bellingham, WA, pick it up from there, and hope and pray the border guards don't get all strict on my @$$.

Standard ground shipping is free to 48 states. I am willing to bet that they won't fudge the customs form so you are going to pay. Take a camera and bag with you and return with the same. What happens in WA stays in WA. Now the tough nut to crack may be the different CC billing address and the shipping address as this is a part of checkout. A WA CC would solve that problem.

07-29-2013, 07:21 AM   #54
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 161
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Standard ground shipping is free to 48 states. I am willing to bet that they won't fudge the customs form so you are going to pay. Take a camera and bag with you and return with the same. What happens in WA stays in WA. Now the tough nut to crack may be the different CC billing address and the shipping address as this is a part of checkout. A WA CC would solve that problem.
shipping to a different address than billing was almost impossible.
Cross country address will make it even harder.
Just ask them if they will ship to Canada??
07-29-2013, 09:03 AM   #55
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,737
I don't know if Hunt's will ship to Canada - and I'd be interested to know! But for Canadians, amazon.ca has this combo currently at $599 with free shipping. It's also available in white or blue. You're likely to pay more tax however...
07-29-2013, 12:42 PM   #56
Veteran Member
arsn.r3d's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 303
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Standard ground shipping is free to 48 states. I am willing to bet that they won't fudge the customs form so you are going to pay. Take a camera and bag with you and return with the same. What happens in WA stays in WA. Now the tough nut to crack may be the different CC billing address and the shipping address as this is a part of checkout. A WA CC would solve that problem.
Yeah..I guess with the new items, it's always "pay up" on the duties/taxes huh. The used lenses I bought from the US have been kinda hit or miss (some got charged taxes, some not). As for the shipping to WA, my cousin (also from Vancouver, BC) orders stuff from B&H and US retailers all the time and he has 'em shipped to some sort of PO Box or receiving service in Bellingham. I'll have to get the name of that service again...but for me, it's just a longer drive to the border, so I'm debating if the gas money will be worth the "savings" on shipping/duties.
07-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #57
Veteran Member
arsn.r3d's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 303
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I don't know if Hunt's will ship to Canada - and I'd be interested to know! But for Canadians, amazon.ca has this combo currently at $599 with free shipping. It's also available in white or blue. You're likely to pay more tax however...
Thanks, I saw that too. Sucks that we always gotta pay more up north eh? Retail price, tax, everything! Boo-urns!
07-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #58
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 118
posted in error...
07-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #59
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,737
QuoteOriginally posted by arsn.r3d Quote
[...] my cousin (also from Vancouver, BC) orders stuff from B&H and US retailers all the time and he has 'em shipped to some sort of PO Box or receiving service in Bellingham.
We are veering slightly offtopic. However, large online retailers like B&H and Adorama have brokerage deals with the package carriers and will show you the exact total when ordering and shipping items from the US to Canada. My K-01 was ordered from B&H and shipped to Montreal. There were no extra fees when receiving the item. Much more useful info on this topic can be found here.

However, it's unlikely that Hunt's has such a deal, which means it's possible to be hit by largish brokerage fees (& taxes) if you have them ship you something in Canada. The Amazon Canada deal at $599 is $100 more than Hunt's price though, so there's some margin to play with. If Hunt's are willing to ship USPS to Canada, it might still wind up quite a bit cheaper than the (not bad) amazon.ca price...
07-30-2013, 05:15 AM   #60
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,737
BTW, I just noticed the following text on Hunt's cart page: "Please Note: We only accept online orders from within the U.S. and Canada. Orders being shipped to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada must be sent via 1 or 2 day AIR delivery."
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
lens, pentax deals, pentax k30, wr, wr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Price Reduction Pentax K-5 with WR 18-55 Lens and extras macrophyllum Sold Items 3 06-01-2013 12:40 PM
K30 $499 at Hunt's Joe Pentax Price Watch 38 05-16-2013 08:12 AM
Pentax K-30 with lens 499.95, Hunt's Photo pickone Pentax Price Watch 1 05-06-2013 01:27 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K7 with 18-55 WR (lens is sold, body still available) cmmurray Sold Items 5 02-03-2013 05:03 PM
K-r with 18/55 WR lens questions kjfishman Pentax K-r 4 11-14-2011 12:40 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:16 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top