Mx-1 $399 + Free shipping
Posted By: pbancr, 07-03-2013, 12:09 PM

Pentax MX-1 Digital Camera (Silver) 12633 B&H Photo Video

Lowest price I've seen it.

Views: 1,381
07-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Canada, Henrys will match the price. I just bought an MX-1 and quite like it. I bought it to be small and different from my K-30, so I do not need the viewfinder. I'm surprised at the good image quality if you watch the ISO. Two small(ish) things could have made this good camera quite excellent - if that flash tilted, and if the ring around the lens barrel operated the zoom (or perhaps manual focus). The flash being bounce-able really only required two small hinges of some kind. Perhaps the ring operating as a zoom might have been more difficult, but I doubt that much of a challenge - it would have helped with quicker (and more nuanced) zoom action.
07-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
In Canada, Henrys will match the price. I just bought an MX-1 and quite like it. I bought it to be small and different from my K-30, so I do not need the viewfinder. I'm surprised at the good image quality if you watch the ISO. Two small(ish) things could have made this good camera quite excellent - if that flash tilted, and if the ring around the lens barrel operated the zoom (or perhaps manual focus). The flash being bounce-able really only required two small hinges of some kind. Perhaps the ring operating as a zoom might have been more difficult, but I doubt that much of a challenge - it would have helped with quicker (and more nuanced) zoom action.
Hows the interface speed when shooting RAW? quick to turn on, review, time between shots?
07-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Hows the interface speed when shooting RAW? quick to turn on, review, time between shots?
Take a look at our review: Pentax MX-1 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

While the playback speed is fine in raw mode, shooting photos & reviewing them is sluggish to the point where it's more than just a minor annoyance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Adam is right...if you are just taking pictures the speed is not too bad, but if you after shooting want to review, it can get very sluggish. Like many, I cling to the mythical firmware update that I just know Pentax will offer...right? right?

I had the camera out in my backyard, and my neighbour asked if I was shooting film again - he was surprised it was digital.

It has its limitations, but it feels good in hand I must say. I have medium sized hands and I tried on a number of cameras. The Olympus xz2 is nice, but didn't feel quite right. There was a nice sony, but it was slippy and didn't feel secure.

One thing, tungsten seems to be a bit of a challenge for the AWB - turns out quite yellow. But I shoot in raw so not a big deal.

s

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Take a look at our review: Pentax MX-1 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

While the playback speed is fine in raw mode, shooting photos & reviewing them is sluggish to the point where it's more than just a minor annoyance.
07-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@adam, Ive missed the review. Great one, thanks for your hard work. I also looked at DPRs review and is quite similar. They even mention the AWB yellow tint under tungsten, @skism.

I bought an S100 at a good price from amazon (250U$D I think) because of the fast, wide lens. Now I am looking for a camera for my girlfriend.. The problem with the S100 is the aperture closes down fast as you zoom in... Regarding the interface, It is really fast even when shooting RAW.