Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Vanguard ALTA+ 224 Carbon Tripod SBH-50
Posted By: PlumRT, 07-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Adorama has this for $150

Vanguard ALTA+ 224 Carbon Tripod with SBH-50 Ball Head ALTA+ 224CB

It is small and light weight so I can lug it around easily. What is your opinion quality/price wise? I'm thinking about getting it.

The only review states it comes with a different " SBH-30 ball head" and implies Adorama does this intentionally?
Views: 2,232
07-06-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mediocre deal. Very short IMHO. Did you see the post I made about 25% off Induro Tripods at B&H and Adorama? They are light and there are a variety of options available.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/230125-25-off-induro-c...r-tripods.html
07-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, absolutely. That is what "got me started" thanks. So, this is my first "ok good" tripod, and I'm looking for one that lasts w/o going crazy, and $200 "right now" is crazy for me. I would like to stay under $200 for tripod+ball.......so
So most of the small aluminum Induros break the bank compared to the one I asked about.
I do get thatt the 224 is short. Going back and forth to get a large or small tripod for my first buy.
07-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PlumRT Quote
Yes, absolutely. That is what "got me started" thanks. So, this is my first "ok good" tripod, and I'm looking for one that lasts w/o going crazy, and $200 "right now" is crazy for me. I would like to stay under $200 for tripod+ball.......so
So most of the small aluminum Induros break the bank compared to the one I asked about.
I do get thatt the 224 is short. Going back and forth to get a large or small tripod for my first buy.
Understood. Lots of advice floating arpund here about tripods. Think in terms of comfort with your eye in the viewfinder for height. Next, most will tell you that you can't get a descent tripod inexpensively, they're wrong unless you expect one that is light, versatile, has spikes and rubber feet, holds a ton, and comes with a killer head. My first tripod in the dSLR era was my Dolica Aluminum that cost $40. Nice tripod, still use it. I replaced there head, after about a year, with a Manfrotto ball head for $65. That was a good upgrade and I use the old head on my monopod now. Read the reviews here and look at both height and weight. If you are not using heavy glass you can use a lighter, less expensive, tripod. I only upgraded to a 055XPROB in the last 6-8 months because I found one at Amazon's Warehouse for $70 -which is a steal. Don't rush into spending a lot, good luck.

07-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that. It is nice to hear about all that you know. You talked me out of this miniature tripod. It needs to be up closer to eye level and this is more than a foot low.
07-06-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PlumRT Quote
Thanks for that. It is nice to hear about all that you know. You talked me out of this miniature tripod. It needs to be up closer to eye level and this is more than a foot low.
On standard tripods the centre column is the weak link. Try to find one that is close to the right height without it extended, more likely to be stable thst way. Some of the newer tripods convert into a monopod too. I have to be honest and say my monopod gets more use than my tripod ( many venues will not allow a tripod but say nothing about monopods, and the weigh less and pack smaller generally - to say nothing of their lower cost).
07-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, I'm looking closely at the retracted height and not the extended height.
Also, a small one would do well with the K-01 I ordered a few days ago. Lowering a tall tripod is better , for now, than not having the height for my other camera with viewfinder. If I get the "bug" and go out more I'll eventually get a small tripod.
My daughter and I got the K-x three years ago, but didn't use it as much as we'd planed. Hope with our new camera we will go out for some inspired photo hikes. We live at Lake Powell and this area has many great photos out there. She did a private event yesterday and for the first time got paid something.

07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I just ordered a used tripod head and legs from KEH, both Manfrotto. It was EX quality (see their site for the ratings). It doesn't look brand new...it looks like it has been used, but doesn't look worn out. It functions perfectly. I read around before buying and found that buying used tripod legs/head makes sense when you don't want to spend a lot.
07-07-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Will do
thanks
07-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanS Quote
I just ordered a used tripod head and legs from KEH, both Manfrotto. It was EX quality (see their site for the ratings). It doesn't look brand new...it looks like it has been used, but doesn't look worn out. It functions perfectly. I read around before buying and found that buying used tripod legs/head makes sense when you don't want to spend a lot.
Yes, that is why I got the used one from Amazon Warehouse for about 40% of the new cost. Excellent way to conserve your money.