Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
30% credit up to $250 at Rakuten.com (buy.com)
Posted By: Takumar55, 07-23-2013, 08:31 PM

Stay with me, because this takes some explaining; but I think I've stumbled upon something pretty decent here....

Rakuten.com, (owner of Buy.com) is running a promotion through tomorrow (July 24), where you can get up to 30% of your purchase in their points, which can be used as cash on their site. There is a limit of $250. It is called the Endless Summer Event on the home page. The promo code is "rewardme"

It takes some work to navigate their site, and there only appear to be a few higher end lenses there, and not much at bargain prices. But I found the PENTAX D-FA 100 2.8 MACRO WR for $747, which gets you $224 in credits. I also see the DA 40 Limited Pancake for $399. Rakuten.com - Seller listing for PENTAX D-FA 100 2.8 MACRO WR

Now, here is the really good part. The D-FA 100 that I am looking at has a few purchasing options, one of which is Adorama! This makes me feel a lot better about ordering. It looks like they have a marketplace and still apply the points.

Here is the fine print I copied from the site:

This Rakuten.com Shopping Super Point promotion will begin on 7/22/2013 at 12:00 AM PDT and ends on 7/24/2013 at 11:59 PM PDT. We reserve the right to end the promotion at any time. Percentage back is awarded in the form of Rakuten Super Points™. The offer is as follows: spend $50.00-$149.99 and get 15% back in Rakuten Super Points™; spend $150.00-$299.99 and get 20% back in Rakuten Super Points™; spend $300.00-$499.99 and get 25% back in Rakuten Super Points™; spend $500.00 or more and get 30% back in Rakuten Super Points™. Offer valid on one order per customer, per household on 1st order placed over the 3-day promotion. All Rakuten Super Points™ earned during this promotion will be available for redemption 15 days after shipment and will expire 60 days thereafter. For exact Rakuten Super Point™ expiration dates, please check your Rakuten.com Shopping Account. This promotion requires customers to Activate this offer by Opting-in via promo code and complete the checkout process by 11:59 PM PDT on 7/24/2013. Rakuten.com Shopping will allow customers a maximum of 7 qualifying items and a maximum of $250.00 back in Rakuten Super Points™ during this promotion. Rakuten.com Shopping reserves the right to void Rakuten Super Points™ on orders that do not follow these regulations. Bulk purchases made by resellers do not qualify. Rakuten Super Points™ are not cash or currency and cannot be transferred, credited to an account, redeemed for cash, or used for gift card purchases or redemptions. Rakuten Super Points™ will be applied to the order amount after any discounts and prior to the addition of taxes and shipping. This promotion cannot be combined with any other cash back reward program or Rakuten Super Points™ promotion. Additionally, orders paid for with PayPal Express, Google Checkout and/or V.me do not qualify.
Views: 1,355
07-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not to threadcrap on you, but Rakuten is known to have had problems in the past with credit card numbers being stolen after being used on that site. So be very careful with that site. You can read about it here:

http:///f/6018544-Rakuten-Buy-com-Customers-Getting-Fraudulent-Credit-Card-Charges
07-24-2013, 03:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Not to threadcrap on you, but Rakuten is known to have had problems in the past with credit card numbers being stolen after being used on that site. So be very careful with that site. You can read about it here:

http:///f/6018544-Rakuten-Buy-com-Customers-Getting-Fraudulent-Credit-Card-Charges

I did not know about this. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Just did some reading on this. Seems like Rakuten should be avoided. Sorry for wasting everyone's time here.

Last edited by Takumar55; 07-24-2013 at 03:49 AM.
07-24-2013, 04:17 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Takumar55 Quote
I did not know about this. Thanks for the info.

Edit: Just did some reading on this. Seems like Rakuten should be avoided. Sorry for wasting everyone's time here.
I've used rakuten several times over the last couple months, no issues at all. I think it's overblown this CC issue.
There's maybe some risk, but with the super points promotions they run periodically it's the only was to get big discounts
on camera items which have fixed pricing everywhere.

07-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Forum Member

I've had zero problems using my credit card with Rakuten and before that with it's predecessor, Buy . com, over the past few years, making a number of purchases. I get their daily e-mail on sale items, but their camera related items generally are Canon or Nikon, so not much help regarding Pentax. I've never dealt with their shopping points, so I can't comment on how that program works.
07-24-2013, 07:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
It actually turns out for me that they have my credit card - I'd forgotten about something I purchased last year. No problems yet, so I may give this a try.

As for finding Pentax, they now let you browse the Adorama store on Rakuten. Makes it much easier to see what's available and to see if it's worth trying for the promotion:
Adorama Camera - Home
07-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I bought stuff from them without issue.

If I did not have a Tamron 90 2.8 I'd be all over the 100 2.8 wr. If it was cash back I'd probably get it anyway I'm just not sure what I'd spend the rewards on in 60 days.

Then again I could use a carbon fiber Tripod or a sigma 610 super flash

hmmm...