Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
DA 50mm 1.8 - $181.95 @ b&h and adorama...down from $246
Posted By: maiz, 08-01-2013, 12:34 AM

Pentax SMCP-DA 50mm f/1.8 Standard Lens 22177

Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens22177 B&H Photo Video

offer good through 31 october 2013


Views: 9,906
08-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 42,765
Great deals, I bet you this is an official rebate!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-01-2013, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
The lens just has not been selling at $246. It's a nice lens - glad to see it reduced.
08-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,461
Other stores also have it, like Tristate.
Now it actually competes with Canikon. Good decision on Ricoh's part as I'm sure the rebate is their idea.
If it's until the end of October that's a good thing, gives me time to plan my purchase. But I haven't decided if I want this or the 35mm f2.4. I have a few 50mm manuals already but no 35mm... and a 35mm would be more useful indoors I think.

08-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Other stores also have it, like Tristate.
Now it actually competes with Canikon. Good decision on Ricoh's part as I'm sure the rebate is their idea.
If it's until the end of October that's a good thing, gives me time to plan my purchase. But I haven't decided if I want this or the 35mm f2.4. I have a few 50mm manuals already but no 35mm... and a 35mm would be more useful indoors I think.
I have both and the 35/2.4 is far more useful for me. I like the output of the 50/1.8 but its just too tight or not long enough. So, the 15/35/43/70 combination works better for me with the 35 being a solid indoor choice IMHO.
08-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 20,320
This is how MAP/UPP is supposed to work. That's a pretty compelling price. Only $20 or so more than a clean A50/1.4 which is a great lens - but really, pushing 30!
08-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
savoche's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lowlands of Norway
Posts: 8,477
I, too, have both, and I agree with Doc. The 35 is my most used prime. Well, maybe the 15 is now, I haven't checked lately...

But then I enjoy more shooting wide than long anyway, and don't do a lot of portraits.

Edit: otoh, at that price...
08-01-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,082
I think that's the right price for the lens, hope it sticks.

08-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian
ChristianRock's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Woodstock, GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,461
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I have both and the 35/2.4 is far more useful for me. I like the output of the 50/1.8 but its just too tight or not long enough. So, the 15/35/43/70 combination works better for me with the 35 being a solid indoor choice IMHO.
Thank you, that is good advice.
I think the 40mm XS 2.8 might be a good choice as well, with a higher ISO camera like the K-5, K-30 or K-01 - I'm planning go get one of these later this year, the best one I can afford at that time...
08-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Thank you, that is good advice.
I think the 40mm XS 2.8 might be a good choice as well, with a higher ISO camera like the K-5, K-30 or K-01 - I'm planning go get one of these later this year, the best one I can afford at that time...
The 40s are nice lenses, I've owned both. Could not justify a 40 and a 43 so I have the 43 now.
08-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,506
I would order one today for this price but I'm leaving the country on Monday for a few weeks. Hopefully this will still be around hen I get back and I have a little money left!
I agree a 35 might be more useful, but the speed and price of this lens is pretty compelling!
08-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #12
Forum Member
PlumRT's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: AZ Page LkPowell
Posts: 50
Bought one. Was on the fence with the 1.4, this price did it.
Now I will retire the m 1:2 puppy I got new with my K1000 in 1978........dated for sure
08-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
well what I guess is it will pull the used FA50 1.4 down to $200 around.
08-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.T Quote
well what I guess is it will pull the used FA50 1.4 down to $200 around.
No, that is not what has happened in the past when the 50/1.8 was more reasonably priced as it is now. The 50/1.4 is both faster and fully Full Frame ready, plus it has an aperture ring. They are different lenses and the 50/1.4 price is significantly higher now new. All of which will likely continue to support a higher price for the FA50/1.4.
08-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
No, that is not what has happened in the past when the 50/1.8 was more reasonably priced as it is now. The 50/1.4 is both faster and fully Full Frame ready, plus it has an aperture ring. They are different lenses and the 50/1.4 price is significantly higher now new. All of which will likely continue to support a higher price for the FA50/1.4.
FA50/1.4 was used to be $200+ NEW a few years ago.
I saw there are couples of used copies selling here, asking around $250 can't go quickly. I also watched on my local used market, lots of FA50/1.4 asking $200~$250 have been there for weeks and weeks.

btw, my copy of FA50/1.4 has very poor performance at aperature 1.4~2.0. I am only confident of using over f/2.8 for good sharpness.

Full Frame? I think it's a joke for Pentax! ooops, now for Ricoh!

Last edited by Steve.T; 08-01-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, da, f/1.8, pentax, pentax deals
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DA L 35mm F2.4 Only $149.95 at B&H Through 7/31 MBrannon Pentax Price Watch 8 05-03-2013 07:46 AM
B&H Call in Price - Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro Lens - $639.95 LaurenOE Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 05-01-2013 01:03 PM
DA 50 1.8 only $116.95 @ B & H!! Roob-N-Boots Pentax Price Watch 5 05-01-2013 08:56 AM
K-01 + 40XS Price drop at B&H And Adorama Docrwm Pentax Price Watch 4 01-15-2013 03:09 PM
Adorama and B & H regken Photographic Technique 58 06-21-2008 01:45 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:57 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top