Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax 35mm for $150 and 50mm for $120. Other lenses too.
Posted By: lenshoarder, 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Pentax is having a sale on lenses. There are a few on sale but these two seem pretty good. The 35mm is $150 and the 50mm is half off at $120.

PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL
PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8 smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8

Views: 30,378
08-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This will cost them a lot more in the court of public opinion than the razor thin profit on a few hundred sales.

Which state or city BBB's are involved?

08-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #197

The supervisor I spoke to today who was extremely rude to me was named Ann. Seems like they don't want business or they don't care, but taking their mistake out on the customer is rude and uncalled for.
08-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would suggest if you had a bad experience with a Pentax rep, write an email, write on their facebook, and send a facebook message to them explaining who and how the rep was rude to you. Let's be proactive.

I wrote a long post on Pentax's facebook wall. No idea if it worked, because I'm on my phone. If users here can see a
long post on Pentax's facebook page regarding this issue, please screenshot and comment/like.

We should make it clear that we are not individuals that will remain separate and quiet when faced with disrespect.
08-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #199
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
This will cost them a lot more in the court of public opinion than the razor thin profit on a few hundred sales.

Which state or city BBB's are involved?
A company can cancel an order - even a good one.

The BBB is where people go to complain. They do nothing but perhaps tell the seller they have a complaint. It is as effective as writing your congressman :-(

08-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #200

I ordered just after midnight on the 14th also. Have not received a cancellation notice as of yet. Check my order and it still says Hold for Quote. I was talking with a friend last night who shoots only Nikon. He said a few years ago a similar incident happened and Nikon honored the price no matter the price of the lens. I just purchased the K-01 and wanted to buy lenses so I could upgrade to the new SLR when it came out in the fall or winter, or whenever. With this type of customer service I don't think I am going to buy into Pentax. Maybe we also should write corporate and not just the Facebook page. If corporate shows the same attitude than you know the kind of company culture you are invested in. By the way when my friend with the Nikon went through the issue with Nikon online he received a personal apology from the regional manager that stated they would honor the price snafu. I am a little unhappy with this because I have loved asking questions and learning so much on this forum. I looked forward to using Pentax product after a long research and comparison to other cameras.
08-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #201
Pentaxian

I would agree with writing to corporate as well. If you have been denied the sale, you should pursue all communication outlets available to you to voice your displeasure.

Pentax can cancel the sale, but it seems to be an unreasonable thing to do. If Pentax made the mistake of pricing the lens lower than any comparable prices (like $100 for the DA 35), then I think's reasonable to cancel and issue the apology. This sale, however, meets the pre-MAP price of the DA 35 and also puts the DA 50 equal to CaNikon equivalents and should be considered the "correct" price for the lens. Us Pentaxians have been looking forward to sales for a long time, and I find it disrespectful by Pentax not to honor these prices for the people who have bought and spent money on Pentax - people who have given Pentax the money they are using to survive.
08-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #202
Site Supporter

Here's my current status.
No communication to or from them since my purchase yesterday.
There is $119,95 still out of my PayPal's cash fund.
I could not go to B&H, etc and buy anything with that money.
But details on my account show this:

Date:
Aug 14, 2013
Time:
09:47:16 PDT
Pending
Order Expiration Date:
Sep 12, 2013 09:47:16 PDT

If they don't cancel soon, or put my money back, maybe I can charge the b@stards interest.
08-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #203

It's been said earlier in the thread, but I'll repeat again: if the prices were obviously ridiculous then cancelling orders is reasonable and normal business. But these prices while very good are far from ridiculous. They fit the normal pattern of a sale.
Within that context, while Ricoh can claim that it's a mistake that still doesn't make it acceptable business practice.

08-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #204

Lens f'up

I registered just to tell y'all this. Just got off the phone with them, the are cancelling everyone's order and not honoring the price, i escalated it as far as i could. Told them i will not do business with them in the future and cancelled my other lens order also.

The Capt Cool
08-15-2013, 01:15 PM   #205
Site Supporter

It may be a Pentax online store but I think the fault is on the actual entity running the webstore, Sure Source LLC – “Jenn” and the rude phone rep’s employer and whoever their webmaster is(was). If I’m not mistaken, Ricoh/Pentax corporate may have not even been consulted whether to honor the pricing. – My order was cancelled by the way.
08-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #206

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
Here's my current status.
No communication to or from them since my purchase yesterday.
There is $119,95 still out of my PayPal's cash fund.
I could not go to B&H, etc and buy anything with that money.
But details on my account show this:

Date:
Aug 14, 2013
Time:
09:47:16 PDT
Pending
Order Expiration Date:
Sep 12, 2013 09:47:16 PDT

If they don't cancel soon, or put my money back, maybe I can charge the b@stards interest.
I tried using my PayPal also but it was grayed out saying " This is not an option on back ordered items". They do this because Pentax knows that disputes can be filed against them with Paypal if the item is not shipped in 7 to 10 days. The other issue is that if they don't complete the transaction PayPal cannot cancel the order themselves. PayPal has to wait 30 days for the order to expire. They are not allowed by law to cancel it until then unless the seller confirms it or the seller cancels it themselves. With it being an order there is no completed sale.

Last edited by Tee21; 08-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.
08-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #207

QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
It may be a Pentax online store but I think the fault is on the actual entity running the webstore, Sure Source LLC – “Jenn” and the rude phone rep’s employer and whoever their webmaster is(was). If I’m not mistaken, Ricoh/Pentax corporate may have not even been consulted whether to honor the pricing. – My order was cancelled by the way.
That being said that it's outsourced does not take the responsibility away from Pentax. They hired the company to run it so they ultimately are the "bosses" who make the final decision. SureSource are only listing the items for Pentax and building the site itself but the price list came from somewhere. If it was a mistake and as so many have stated before these prices are such that they are not below true sale prices. Sorry, I can't buy that Pentax has no clue about what is being done.

Last edited by Tee21; 08-15-2013 at 01:31 PM.
08-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #208
Pentaxian

If so, Pentax should be made fully aware of the issue regardless. If the situation is indeed that the third party group in charge of the webstore failed their job, Pentax should step in to appease their customers.
08-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #209
Pentaxian

So any complaints directly to corporate might help them rethink their relationship with Sure Source and perhaps choose a different vendor to host/manage their online store.

QuoteOriginally posted by prime.partisan Quote
if the prices were obviously ridiculous then cancelling orders is reasonable and normal business. But these prices while very good are far from ridiculous. They fit the normal pattern of a sale.
I agree with this. It's one thing for an online retailer not to honor a price mistake such as $50 for a $500 iPad because it had inadvertently left off a zero at the end. But it's another thing when this is a price mistake that is not totally unreasonable. It certainly is super low for a brand-new modern (DA) lens from Pentax, perhaps the lowest I've ever seen, but it's not like it was listed for $12 or even $50.
08-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #210

They could and should have honored the offer, sometimes that's the price of business. Look how many pages of loyal customers are going to be upset and not order "directly" from them again. Looks like B&H will get a new customer...

The Capt Cool
Closed Thread