Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax 35mm for $150 and 50mm for $120. Other lenses too.
Posted By: lenshoarder, 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Pentax is having a sale on lenses. There are a few on sale but these two seem pretty good. The 35mm is $150 and the 50mm is half off at $120.

PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL
PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8 smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8

Views: 36,808
08-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This entire thread should serve as a lesson to the online buyer.

I am from the southern US and we have some colorful expressions. I will use one of them, self edited in the next paragraph.

Why pick s*** with the chickens someplace like the pentaxwebstore.com when we have two most excellence retailers who are site supporters. B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders and

Photography, Digital Cameras, Lenses, Electronics - 8PM Shipping - Adorama Camera both are fine suppliers. I have purchased from both of them and never had a problem. I highly recommend them both. Use the links from the retail partners section so Adam can earn some kibble.

Another authorized retailer that I have had favorable experience with is huntsphoto.com.

So why chase worthless offers from a bunch of people who will claim it was all a mistake.

08-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #227

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
worthless offers from a bunch of people who will claim it was all a mistake
That wasn't the impression/expectation I got when ordering from a place that looks and acts like the official Ricoh Pentax online store, logo and all.
08-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #228

If it's too good to be true, it usually is....
08-15-2013, 05:11 PM   #229

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
Has anyone who ordered the DA 50 1.8 received a shipping notification from Pentax with the same price as advertised, $119.95?
Just wondering because, I just got an email saying they will charge my CC $249.95 at the time of shipment.
I've not gotten a shipping notification, but I did receive an order confirmation email the other night just after ordering that clearly shows the price as 119.95 Nothing since then.

08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So why chase worthless offers from a bunch of people who will claim it was all a mistake.
I chase online deals all the time and sometimes they would honor mistakes and sometimes they wouldn't that's just how it goes. Nothing is unusual about it. When they do honor it I get great deal out of it, when they don't it's just whatever, nothing has lost.
08-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #231

QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
If it's too good to be true, it usually is....
The thing is, if you look at Canon or Nikon pricing on their equivalent lenses, especially from online retailers (Amazon, et al), you'll see that $120 for a 50mm/1.8 is not ridiculous.

Also, they didn't just post a "too good" price, they actually charged some people a different amount than the advertised price. It's one thing to cancel the order, it's a whole different kettle of fish to charge someone a different amount than their checkout screen said.
08-15-2013, 06:02 PM - 1 Like   #232

QuoteOriginally posted by thornburg Quote
it's a whole different kettle of fish
Fishy kettle indeed.

08-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by meeverett Quote
I've not gotten a shipping notification, but I did receive an order confirmation email the other night just after ordering that clearly shows the price as 119.95 Nothing since then.
Since then I have received an email stating "The lens rebate only applies if you also purchase a camera. Since you did not the price of the lens will revert back to full price. Do you wish to cancel this order?"
I have emailed them back saying basically they didn't advertise the lens as such and to see if they will honor the $119.95 price. No reply from them yet.
08-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #234
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
The folks that do the "look how much money we'll save by outsourcing" spreadsheets never seem to include the hidden cost of "the guy doing your work doesn't really give a rip." This is just one of the costs of the mass outsourcing of major business functions that Pentax did several years ago. Maybe the new guy can get their web store back in shape.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/234314-riac-hires-marketing-manager.html
I've been writing about that since December 2011.
08-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #235

QuoteOriginally posted by azerak Quote
I got an email from Jenn that my order is cancelled. I guess many of us got the same kind of email. How many got emails saying Pentax will honor the deal?
Beyond the original order confirmation, I've not gotten any contact whatsoever. My order status is currently listed as "Hold for Quote," which base on this thread I imagine means I should expect an email asking if I'd like to pay way too much for a basic 50mm prime or cancel my order.

To be honest, the issue isn't the offer (mistake or not), the issue is that Ricoh would allow the use of their logos and link directly to a bunch with their heads lodged so far up where the sun don't shine. It doesn't take 2 days to pull this kind of mistake from a website; It shouldn't take more than 2 minutes. I'm a satisfied customer of both Adorama and B&H, but I should be able to trust an online outlet that is ostensibly the "official" company store. If I can't, then just maybe I ought not trust the brand entirely.
08-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #236
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
By the way, does Pentax still make any money per lens at this price? Is the profit simply zero? Or do they make an actual loss?
I think the UPP markup is 100%. I have no idea why I think that, but that is what I think.
08-15-2013, 06:27 PM   #237

Does anyone actually finds the promotion that says buy a body and get the lenses at those prices?
08-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #238

I looked all over and couldn't find it.
08-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #239
Veteran Member

So without that promotion, couldn't this be considered bait-and-switch?
08-15-2013, 06:49 PM   #240
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I chase online deals all the time and sometimes they would honor mistakes and sometimes they wouldn't that's just how it goes. Nothing is unusual about it. When they do honor it I get great deal out of it, when they don't it's just whatever, nothing has lost.
This is exactly correct. The vast majority of my Pentax-branded lenses were right place, right time/miscategorized/roll the dice on ebay types of deals. I don't really remember too many "that got away." It's unfortunate that it happened with Pentax's official storefront, but what if it was B&H or Amazon? They usually honor mistakes if it's reasonable, but what if they didn't? How many people would swear off those stores or the entire brand of product?

Related to that last note, anyone who wants to sell their Pentax gear after not receiving a $182 lens for $120, send me a list and what you want for it. I'll offer you 33% less

All we need now is threats of a class-action lawsuit and we'll be set.
Closed Thread