Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax 35mm for $150 and 50mm for $120. Other lenses too.
Posted By: lenshoarder, 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Pentax is having a sale on lenses. There are a few on sale but these two seem pretty good. The 35mm is $150 and the 50mm is half off at $120.

PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL
PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8 smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8

Views: 30,382
08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #271
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brazeal Quote
I just received an email stating that my item will ship pending authorization of my credit card (I used Paypal). The order confirmation still shows $119.95.
Hmm... so many they're sticking to their original plan of fulfilling the purchase orders of anyone who placed them before August 14...

08-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #272
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So much drama! Just remember, if you get yours (50mm and/or 35mm) and you experience buyer's remorse, just PM me! Offer limited to one person, and may be cancelled at any time.
08-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #273

Thanks, but I found something strange. The new email had an order confirmation with a new order number that isn't showing up on the website. I checked the old order number, and it shows cancelled. So, I don't know if it shows cancelled because they issued me a new order number, or if they screwed up again. You would think the new order number would show up under tracking. I guess I can't be sure until I get a shipping confirmation email. The wait continues...
08-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #274

In a time of restructuring, market share loss, and with a vast number of Pentax users jumping ship to the likes of Canon and Nikon, Pentax should do anything it possibly can to keep its core base of consumers happy.

If it means taking a loss, then take a loss!! It will be made up in another sale down the line!

In the last past few months I have purchased four K-01 cameras, two 18-55mm, one 18-55mm wr lens, two 50-200mmWR, one 40mm xs (plus one that was part of k-01 kit), one 18-135mm, and one 100mm macro.

Why do I say a vast number of Pentax users have or = are jumping ship? Because most of these lenses I bought at great prices due to the fact that I drove around SoCaL, and went out of my way to browse camera shops whenever I could. Some shops had NOS lenses available as they stopped carrying Pentax (some said it was hard to sell) gear and were willing to deal.

(Also during my recent trips to Sea World, San Diego Safari Animal Park, and the San Diego Zoo I saw thousands of people taking photos, but unfortunately I only saw a single K-5 and a K-01. The K-01 owner actually took a spot next to me at the elephant exhibit and said, "nice camera!"
I also had family visiting from Mexico and ended up being the official tour guide. From San Francisco to San Diego, and the numerous spots in between I could count on two hands the number of Pentax cameras I saw! Even my cousins visiting from Mexico were Nikon consumers, and claimed that they are best and most popular brand in Mexico (Seen as a status symbol, since they are very brand conscious in Mexico : ( which is sad).

Why did I purchase so many cameras and lenses? I kept one, and gave two away to my nephews with hopes that they will enjoy the hobby. Hopefully when they are older and working they realize that Pentax is a quality brand and they continue to support the brand.

I know this lens sale will not hurt Pentax financially, but it can tarnish its reputation and hurt the loyal consumers that love the brand.

Will this cause me to jump ship? No, and I just jumped into photography recently.
The numerous Nikon and Canon sales become tempting, but I like my K-01, I love the results I get from it especially for the price, and I realize that I'm a Pentax fan. In the end, Pentax if you treat me right, I will support and promote you till the end.

(Sorry about the rant, I just hate when companies don't follow through (e.g. overstock.com and the k5ii 18-135mm fiasco), especially when some will be allowed to benefit while others are treated like crap and just pushed to the side)

08-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #275
Forum Member

Wholeheartedly agree. And, it's soured me to some, like Best Buy, Overstock and few other cases. Home Depot is doing the same thing to me now. The internet use to be where retailers wanted to please customers and expand presence. Now it's just cut-n-run. Amazon is my first choice, just sorry they had to start taxing my state, and that's not their fault. Ebay/paypal gives me mixed feelings, and not my first choice for sure.
08-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #276
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had sent them an email yesterday about status of my order which says "Hold for Quote". I received this reply from them today -

QuoteQuote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your recent email. Unfortunately this is out of stock and will not ship for 2-3 weeks.

Thank you
Jennifer
Pentax Webstore
No other communication from them other than this. I wonder why same Jennifer didn't tell me about canceling the order? BTW my order was placed on 8/13.
08-16-2013, 11:03 AM   #277

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sr20det510 Quote
In a time of restructuring, market share loss, and with a vast number of Pentax users jumping ship to the likes of Canon and Nikon, Pentax should do anything it possibly can to keep its core base of consumers happy.

If it means taking a loss, then take a loss!! It will be made up in another sale down the line!

In the last past few months I have purchased four K-01 cameras, two 18-55mm, one 18-55mm wr lens, two 50-200mmWR, one 40mm xs (plus one that was part of k-01 kit), one 18-135mm, and one 100mm macro.

Why do I say a vast number of Pentax users have or = are jumping ship? Because most of these lenses I bought at great prices due to the fact that I drove around SoCaL, and went out of my way to browse camera shops whenever I could. Some shops had NOS lenses available as they stopped carrying Pentax (some said it was hard to sell) gear and were willing to deal.

(Also during my recent trips to Sea World, San Diego Safari Animal Park, and the San Diego Zoo I saw thousands of people taking photos, but unfortunately I only saw a single K-5 and a K-01. The K-01 owner actually took a spot next to me at the elephant exhibit and said, "nice camera!"
I also had family visiting from Mexico and ended up being the official tour guide. From San Francisco to San Diego, and the numerous spots in between I could count on two hands the number of Pentax cameras I saw! Even my cousins visiting from Mexico were Nikon consumers, and claimed that they are best and most popular brand in Mexico (Seen as a status symbol, since they are very brand conscious in Mexico : ( which is sad).

Why did I purchase so many cameras and lenses? I kept one, and gave two away to my nephews with hopes that they will enjoy the hobby. Hopefully when they are older and working they realize that Pentax is a quality brand and they continue to support the brand.

I know this lens sale will not hurt Pentax financially, but it can tarnish its reputation and hurt the loyal consumers that love the brand.

Will this cause me to jump ship? No, and I just jumped into photography recently.
The numerous Nikon and Canon sales become tempting, but I like my K-01, I love the results I get from it especially for the price, and I realize that I'm a Pentax fan. In the end, Pentax if you treat me right, I will support and promote you till the end.

(Sorry about the rant, I just hate when companies don't follow through (e.g. overstock.com and the k5ii 18-135mm fiasco), especially when some will be allowed to benefit while others are treated like crap and just pushed to the side)
This, exactly. I went to Disneyworld Aug. 1-10, or something, it was loooonnnggg time (10 days). In that 10 days at WDW where millions of people visit annually, and thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, each day, I saw exactly 0 (!) Pentax cameras, except the one I was using. I saw thousands of Canikons! And in that 10 days, only one 1 (!) person asked me about my camera/lens set-up: it was an employee who's job was to take pictures of people and he more noticed the size of my DA 40mm Ltd. (he even called it a pancake, that's how I knew he was serious). ONE person asked me about my Pentax the entire time I was there! Personally, IDGAF as I purchased my k-5ii to please myself, not impress others, but this is the brand's flagship camera and only person out of thousands that I saw asked me. And then to pull this *h!t! I won't jump ship but I might tell others to just go to Target and buy the Canikon kit that fits their budget. Srsly, yo!
08-16-2013, 11:13 AM   #278

I'm the only Pentax user in all people I know. Work, family, friends. Maybe I'll become the only Samsung user next. Their NX300 looks very competent.

08-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #279
Forum Member

I received an email from Pentax this morning canceling my order for the 50 1.8 saying that the listing was a mistake. I am going to try calling to complain.
08-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #280
Site Supporter

Are they cancelling 35mm/2.4 as well? That was on sale too.

Last edited by TropicalMonkey; 08-16-2013 at 11:40 AM.
08-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #281
Forum Member

FYI found the promo page with several company rebate deals listed. So, the "excuse" given about the price was "with" the purchase of a DSLR was valid. What makes the reasoning/excuse invalid is - that was last month!
PROMO
LOL for all the excuses and reasons given for that price to be in their order system at all. They should have had it straight last month. Talk about a day late and a dollar short..........
08-16-2013, 11:55 AM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This isn't Overstock.com. This is the legitimate eCommerce store of the Pentax brand in the USA.

Just remember that SureSource is contracted by Pentax to administer the PentaxWebstore. It isn't actually Pentax, and it isn't actually Pentax Customer Service, but they do represent Pentax on the internet. It reads here as if orders are in a suspense state - let's wait and see what the final resolution of the error is.
08-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #283
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PlumRT Quote
FYI found the promo page with several company rebate deals listed. So, the "excuse" given about the price was "with" the purchase of a DSLR was valid. What makes the reasoning/excuse invalid is - that was last month!
PROMO
LOL for all the excuses and reasons given for that price to be in their order system at all. They should have had it straight last month. Talk about a day late and a dollar short..........
The thing is, we saw that deals here:
Pentax July Price Drops & Deals - Pentax Deals - PentaxForums.com

And they were fulfilled through B&H.
The Pentax Webstore pages were updated only recently for the "sale". Which makes it so weird.
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #284
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TropicalMonkey Quote
Are they cancelling 35mm/2.4 as well? That was on sale too.
I do not know about the 35 2.4 as I did not buy that one only the 50 1.8.

They offered me free shipping on my next order. There will never be a next order though.
08-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #285
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jb0501 Quote
I do not know about the 35 2.4 as I did not buy that one only the 50 1.8.

They offered me free shipping on my next order. There will never be a next order though.
+1 to that. You'd think of all places, the Pentax web store would be where they make their highest margins and really get to put on a good face to the consumer. So much for that idea.

As was said, I'm not so much up in arms over not getting a good deal, it's just being jerked around by the company whose products you enjoy and frankly advocate for.
Closed Thread