Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  
Pentax 35mm for $150 and 50mm for $120. Other lenses too.
Posted By: lenshoarder, 08-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Pentax is having a sale on lenses. There are a few on sale but these two seem pretty good. The 35mm is $150 and the 50mm is half off at $120.

PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL smc PENTAX DA 35mm F2.4AL
PentaxWebstore.com:smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8 smc PENTAX DA 50mm f/1.8

Views: 29,837
08-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #316
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for advocating for us and giving an update Adam.

I hope they offer that special price with a limit of say one or two per cancelled order. I'm sure many people ordered multiples with the intent to sell them. That would limit their loss, and appease the majority of customers who want to use the lens, not resell it.

08-19-2013, 10:10 AM   #317

Thanks for the update, Adam.

ToyTank - good point on the speculative purchases. I think your suggested resolution would be a reasonable response.

08-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #318
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
I hope they offer that special price with a limit of say one or two per cancelled order. I'm sure many people ordered multiples with the intent to sell them. That would limit their loss, and appease the majority of customers who want to use the lens, not resell it.
That certainly would be reasonable. I would just like to get the one that I ordered.

Kind of ironic for me. I am typically an impulse buyer and saw this deal on the 13th, but made myself sleep on it before pulling the trigger. Now the orders placed on the 13th are being honored and the rest of us are hanging in limbo.
08-19-2013, 10:36 AM   #319
Site Supporter

I've made a few comments here (and then deleted them) so I will try again without too much vitriol.

In this day and age, internet shoppers are savvy enough to know when there is a mistake on a price we see on the web and when we see something else.

Seeing the DA 50mm f/1.8 for the fire-sale price of $119 dollars certainly got my attention, and I ordered one immediately.
A price difference of that significance either shows a HUGE mistake or a change in the way of doing business.
Quite a few opinions went both ways.

We know what happened next and purchases got locked/cancelled.

I offer some information that I hope Ricoh looks at before they offer a "remedy" and what I think is part of this whole fiasco.

Canon offers a similar lens all-day-and-every day for $125

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens2514A002 B&H Photo Video

Nikon too.

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens2137 B&H Photo - $124

I believe the price on the PentaxWebstore was fair, and an alignment to the competition.

So for Ricoh to remedy the situation, they need to do NOTHING and price the lens at $120 which is what it should be selling at.

Why orders were stopped, instead of going on back-order because of demand, is probably because of under cutting of prices the PentaxWebstore implemented.

We will never know what happened, but instantly and demonstrably, Ricoh threw their brick and mortar relationships under the bus and made worthless the inventory others had bought.

As credence to that?

B&H never offered the lower price on the DA 50 f/1.8 and probably flipped/had a cow, as probably many other on-line retailers did when Ricoh started to undercut their prices.

Imagine what the retailers must have thought, when immediately their inventory was "worthless" and they would be taking a huge loss after stocking Pentax lenses!!!!

To me, this shows once again, that Ricoh is doing things that alienate long-term relations. In this case, with other on-line retailers.

Ricoh is being heavy handed, and this little fiasco is another clue to how they want to do business.

Of course, it could have been "just a little glitch" in the webstore, but I put little credibility on that actually being the case.

The remedy we will see is that the price of $120 or so, will become "permanent" and Ricoh will look like the "good guy" and other online retailers will take the brunt of the loss.

Ricoh wins all around in that scenario and we will play the fools for it.

08-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #320
Site Supporter

I hope B&H, Adorama and other on-line retailers rip Ricoh a "new one" over this.
B&H and others have been loyal and kept Pentax products stocked when no one else did.
They continue to support the Pentax brand and this is how Ricoh treats them?
Not cool.
08-19-2013, 11:03 AM   #321
Site Supporter

On another note, if Ricoh maintains their "It was a website glitch", then maybe they should ask B&H what system they use.
B&H has one of the most sophisticated systems on earth, and they use state-of-the-art back-end e-commerce solutions.

B&H has real-time pricing/margins/cost/tax systems that allow them to adjust prices faster than anyone.

There are only a few retailers on earth that have what B&H uses.
08-19-2013, 11:11 AM   #322

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
then maybe they should ask B&H what system they use
And B&H would just tell them?
08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #323
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've made a few comments here (and then deleted them) so I will try again without too much vitriol.

In this day and age, internet shoppers are savvy enough to know when there is a mistake on a price we see on the web and when we see something else.

Seeing the DA 50mm f/1.8 for the fire-sale price of $119 dollars certainly got my attention, and I ordered one immediately.
A price difference of that significance either shows a HUGE mistake or a change in the way of doing business.
Quite a few opinions went both ways.

We know what happened next and purchases got locked/cancelled.

I offer some information that I hope Ricoh looks at before they offer a "remedy" and what I think is part of this whole fiasco.

Canon offers a similar lens all-day-and-every day for $125

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens2514A002 B&H Photo Video

Nikon too.

Nikon Normal AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Autofocus Lens2137 B&H Photo - $124

I believe the price on the PentaxWebstore was fair, and an alignment to the competition.

So for Ricoh to remedy the situation, they need to do NOTHING and price the lens at $120 which is what it should be selling at.

Why orders were stopped, instead of going on back-order because of demand, is probably because of under cutting of prices the PentaxWebstore implemented.

We will never know what happened, but instantly and demonstrably, Ricoh threw their brick and mortar relationships under the bus and made worthless the inventory others had bought.

As credence to that?

B&H never offered the lower price on the DA 50 f/1.8 and probably flipped/had a cow, as probably many other on-line retailers did when Ricoh started to undercut their prices.

Imagine what the retailers must have thought, when immediately their inventory was "worthless" and they would be taking a huge loss after stocking Pentax lenses!!!!

To me, this shows once again, that Ricoh is doing things that alienate long-term relations. In this case, with other on-line retailers.

Ricoh is being heavy handed, and this little fiasco is another clue to how they want to do business.

Of course, it could have been "just a little glitch" in the webstore, but I put little credibility on that actually being the case.

The remedy we will see is that the price of $120 or so, will become "permanent" and Ricoh will look like the "good guy" and other online retailers will take the brunt of the loss.

Ricoh wins all around in that scenario and we will play the fools for it.
Lauren,

I usually agree with you, and I do for the majority of your comments here. However, it is well known that the subcontractor that Pentax uses for their webstore is Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe (not even the real Curly)! Those buffoons have made any number of "mistakes" over the years and many have been reported here. I am not one to give Pentax US HQ a pass but this one really doesn't seem to be the fault of the current management in Denver but a leftover of the "who cares" approach of the previous Pentax US CEO.

08-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #324
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Lauren,

I usually agree with you, and I do for the majority of your comments here. However, it is well known that the subcontractor that Pentax uses for their webstore is Moe, Larry, and Curly Joe (not even the real Curly)! Those buffoons have made any number of "mistakes" over the years and many have been reported here. I am not one to give Pentax US HQ a pass but this one really doesn't seem to be the fault of the current management in Denver but a leftover of the "who cares" approach of the previous Pentax US CEO.
LOL.

I firmly believe that people are not stupid.
I firmly believe that people get up in the morning and *try* and do a good job in whatever they do.
I have worked extremely hard to make a decent salary and maintain employment.
I try to excel in everything I do.

If I give more credit than is due, it is because I believe in people rising to the occasion and becoming great.

In 2013 there are minimum technical requirements if you are going to attempt e-commerce.
Mistakes like this are exceptionally difficult to do.

There are always logical reasons for parts of a system to fail.

It's 2:38pm EST and the fact that we don't have an answer yet, must show a reason for the delay.
08-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #325
Veteran Member

LOL.

I firmly believe that people are not stupid.
I firmly believe that people get up in the morning and *try* and do a good job in whatever they do.
I have worked extremely hard to make a decent salary and maintain employment.
I try to excel in everything I do.

If I give more credit than is due, it is because I believe in people rising to the occasion and becoming great.

In 2013 there are minimum technical requirements if you are going to attempt e-commerce.
Mistakes like this are exceptionally difficult to do.

There are always logical reasons for parts of a system to fail.

It's 2:38pm EST and the fact that we don't have an answer yet, must show a reason for the delay.
I think that you hit the nail on the head, at least in part. Pentax US is trying to resolve an error by their official webstore that was handled in just about the worst possible way by the stooges that run that site but they are also trying to not PO their current main distributors of retail merchandise - B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. Basically, you are right that if they just offer the 50 & 35 at the prices at which they were legally sold by their webstore their current distributors will be angry, and rightfully so with their equally moronic Maximum Assured Pricing scheme. However, there are now over 300 posts in this thread on the largest Pentax forum in the world and comments on their Facebook page regarding this debacle. They have to resolve this if they want to move forward in building Pentax's image.

As for you being a Romantic, it takes all kinds to make the world go around

Last edited by Docrwm; 08-19-2013 at 11:50 AM.
08-19-2013, 11:51 AM   #326
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I think that you hit the nail on the head, at least in part. Pentax US is trying to resolve an error by their official webstore that was handled in just about the worst possible way by the stooges that run that site but they are also trying to not PO their current main distributors of retail merchandise - B&H, Adorama, and Amazon. Basically, you are right that if they just offer the 50 & 35 at the prices at which they were legally sold by their webstore their current distributors will be angry, and rightfully so with their equally moronic Maximum Assured Pricing scheme. However, there are now over 300 posts in this thread on the largest Pentax forum in the world and comments on their Facebook page regarding this debacle. They have to resolve this if they want to move forward in building Pentax's image.

As for you being a Romantic, it takes all kinds to make the world go around
LOL. I got kicked off their Facebook page. I can't comment over there.
I rub people the wrong way and they kick me to the curb.
Story of my life!
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #327
Veteran Member

LOL. I got kicked off their Facebook page. I can't comment over there.
I rub people the wrong way and they kick me to the curb.
Story of my life!
You are a key member here. Who else can instruct the Padewan of Pentax about Sherpas?
08-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #328
Site Supporter

They're still fumbling around on who they'll throw under the bus....
08-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #329
Site Supporter

The webstore is certainly DBA pentax, no matter who is running it, and the buck has to stop at Ricoh. If Ricoh needs a different vendor to run the pentax webstore then so be it. If I contract part of a job out and my sub is incompetent I can't walk away from it. I have to fire him, eat any loss, and do it myself or use someone I can trust.

Lauren, the retailer side of it never occurred to me. I think this is valid, because the sale price was clearly displayed, and below the M.A.P. The fact it took 3 days to fix is shocking even now the 50/1.8 listing is not fixed, it is missing-not inspiring confidence to respond to anything in a timely manner.

To me though fire sale is more like minimum of 75% off MSRP. To me the 50/1.8 for $120+$10 s/h seemed like a good direct sale price, as the rebate makes them about $180 street price right now.
08-19-2013, 12:23 PM   #330
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
The webstore is certainly DBA pentax, no matter who is running it, and the buck has to stop at Ricoh. If Ricoh needs a different vendor to run the pentax webstore then so be it. If I contract part of a job out and my sub is incompetent I can't walk away from it. I have to fire him, eat any loss, and do it myself or use someone I can trust.

Lauren, the retailer side of it never occurred to me. I think this is valid, because the sale price was clearly displayed, and below the M.A.P. The fact it took 3 days to fix is shocking even now the 50/1.8 listing is not fixed, it is missing-not inspiring confidence to respond to anything in a timely manner.

To me though fire sale is more like minimum of 75% off MSRP. To me the 50/1.8 for $120+$10 s/h seemed like a good direct sale price, as the rebate makes them about $180 street price right now.
I think, from what little Adam has shared, that Pentax US is taking charge of the situation - however, only time will tell how effectively and permanently.

I agree that the price was NOT an obvious error. Fundamentally Pentax is charging too much for many lenses and specifically too much for their entry-level 50/1.8 when seen in light of the day-to-day prices of the equalivalent Canon and Nikon entry-level 50s.
Closed Thread