Show Printable Version Search this Thread

Bower 14/2.8 $299 @ B&H
Posted By: Docrwm, 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM

Bower 14mm f/2.8 Ultra Wide Angle LensSLY14MMF2.8P B&H Photo

Views: 4,201
11-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Other than the name, it looks identical to the Bower. I really like my Bower, this should be the same.

11-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Do you guys experience the bulge in the center that Ken Rockwell complained about in his review of this lens (posted as Samyang)? I don't think he's biased in any way, as he loved the Samyang 35 1.4 and 85 1.4. I'm thinking he had a bad copy of it, but on a picture he took for the review, that bulge is really bad.

If distortion isn't too bad, I think I'd love to buy this lens, perhaps next year.
11-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #33
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Do you guys experience the bulge in the center that Ken Rockwell complained about in his review of this lens (posted as Samyang)? I don't think he's biased in any way, as he loved the Samyang 35 1.4 and 85 1.4. I'm thinking he had a bad copy of it, but on a picture he took for the review, that bulge is really bad.

If distortion isn't too bad, I think I'd love to buy this lens, perhaps next year.
Depends on if he used this lens on FF or APS-C. On FF it's pretty bad, on APS-C it's very good!

Edit: turns out we have a review of this lens here:
Pentax 14mm F2.8 vs Rokinon 14mm F2.8 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Thanks for that link, Adam. I had seen the reviews database, but not that comparison with the DA 14mm.

It looks like the distortion pointed out in the review is exactly the same that Ken Rockwell pointed out in his review. I wonder how much it would bother me in real life. I guess most softwares would have profiles to correct this...

11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I brought it mainly for landscape use and use with a K5-II. For me the "bulge" is OK. Here are a few links to photo albums where I used this lens: Note:When using this lens the camera will list it as to which focal length you input when you first turn on the camera. The camera offers a choice of 12mm or 15mm, I choose 15mm, Hope this helps in your decision.

Zenfolio | Will Edwards | Bower 14mm lens-Tacoma

Zenfolio | Will Edwards | Tacoma, City & Still Life (not all photos in this album are from the Bower)

Zenfolio | Will Edwards | C3 First Prayer Meeting 11-09-2013
11-18-2013, 03:59 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Very nice, Will! For the most part, it does seem like the "bulge" isn't a big issue in real life. I just checked Aftershot Pro which is what I use, and it doesn't have a profile for this lens. But as you said, it doesn't seem to be an issue.
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Depends on if he used this lens on FF or APS-C. On FF it's pretty bad, on APS-C it's very good!

Edit: turns out we have a review of this lens here:
Pentax 14mm F2.8 vs Rokinon 14mm F2.8 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Holy Lens Flare Batman!

I was considering this lens until I saw that flare. Wow.
11-21-2013, 04:53 AM   #38
Site Supporter

I see the Rokinon is on sale at B&H again for $299- until 11/25/2013

11-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #39

Photos: Albums
I might be asking a stupid question, but still...
At B&H I see that for this lens for filter thread it says 'none'. Does it mean that it's not possible to put a filter on the lens?
I am mildly interested in buying it, or some other similar wide angle.
Thanks.
11-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by prepelica Quote
I might be asking a stupid question, but still...
At B&H I see that for this lens for filter thread it says 'none'. Does it mean that it's not possible to put a filter on the lens?
I am mildly interested in buying it, or some other similar wide angle.
Thanks.
I've seen some custom filter holders online; and expensive ones, that are absurd, like the Lucroit. Here is a link to someone who made their own holder. I need to get around to doing this myself. I wish it had drop in filters, but I am not sure that's possible for a wide angle.

Flickr: Discussing DIY filter holder in Samyang 14mm F/2.8
11-21-2013, 11:47 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I've seen some custom filter holders online; and expensive ones, that are absurd, like the Lucroit. Here is a link to someone who made their own holder. I need to get around to doing this myself. I wish it had drop in filters, but I am not sure that's possible for a wide angle.

Flickr: Discussing DIY filter holder in Samyang 14mm F/2.8
Thanks kenafein, I'll check your link.
I am considering 15mm limited, with two limiteds that I already have, plenty of 49mm filters. But it's only f/4 and pricy, while this lens is f/2.8 and cheaper. One can't have everything, I guess.